Basque league

thebluesigns

Having recently been to Bilbao, I got a bit of a taste for the Basque culture. Upon further research, I found that quite a few tasty Spanish teams could qualify to play in a Basque league. Athletic (Bilbao), Real Sociadad, Alaves and Osasuna, to name the top 4.

I've followed Dave's guide for league swapping (nice!) and created a Basque league out of the one that previously belonged to Singapore. The league structure consists of only one division of 12 teams and a cup (I had tried more leagues by swapping into Holland instead but it just meant that there were more wee amateur teams and it was kind of weird - they'd be promoted to the top flight and constantly thrashed 13-0 by Alaves and suchlike. One team finished the season with a -187 goal difference).

The league is oddly competitive, with a third of the teams genuinely fighting for the title, another third routinely taking points of each other and the other third of the league scrapping to avoid relegation.

Anyway, onto my main question.

Now, having also made Basque a playable nation, they keep getting beaten in every game. In six years, they have scored a grand total of one goal. And it was an own goal. In a 1-4 defeat to Malta. What do I need to change in the editor to make them competitive, as they clearly have better players than loads of the teams that routinely hammer them?

Oh, I'm playing FM07, if that makes a difference.

Yeah, I'm running the Basque league in full, si I thought reputation no longer matters in determining results.

Yeah, but you are talking about the Basque national team aren't you? Their matches should be in full detail.

How do you run specific nation's matches on full detail, other than watching them?

Select 'Game Detail' from the Options menu. Set the necessary international competitions on full detail. For them it would probably be Euro Qualifiers and Finals, World Cup Qualifiers and Finals and the Confederations Cup.

You can't run a specific nations matches on full detail just the competitions they are in.

i have been trying for years to to basque national team, league etc (basically cos i wanted to do well with bilbao and it was really hard with their policy, though i like it!), think i finally got it working this time. Can you send me any screenshots etc of your league/national team up and running? Would be nice to see!

My basque nation always got hammered as well. All the good players refused to play for the team even though i had set the at a decent reputation (~belgium/switzerland/scotland). In the latest game i have forced these players' hands by giving them the 'real' caps they have accumulates playing for the unofficial basque team. But i dont know if they'll be able to keep slovakia down to 3 goals yet because i've only got to september. Exciting!

i have been trying for years to to basque national team, league etc (basically cos i wanted to do well with bilbao and it was really hard with their policy, though i like it!), think i finally got it working this time. Can you send me any screenshots etc of your league/national team up and running? Would be nice to see!

My basque nation always got hammered as well. All the good players refused to play for the team even though i had set the at a decent reputation (~belgium/switzerland/scotland). In the latest game i have forced these players' hands by giving them the 'real' caps they have accumulates playing for the unofficial basque team. But i dont know if they'll be able to keep slovakia down to 3 goals yet because i've only got to september. Exciting!

How can the players refuse to play for a nation?

well they still have dual spanish/basque nationality, and even the ones who are decent players but not quality enough to get a call up for spain any time soon (i.e the present Atheltic and Osasuna squads, Mikel Alonso etc) have "Would only consider a national call-up from Spain at this time" in their profiles. And it stays that way - I was at blbao for 5 yers with a good squad (5th in Liga one year, Cup final) but none of my squad were ever quite good enugh for spain, but they all turned a deaf ear to the basque team as well... Think of Ameobi knocking back the 2010 World Cup with Nigeria because he thinks he can still play for england (does he have caps for either? anyway...) or ditto Darron Gibson declining NI for his whole career even if the Republic snubs him. Dunno if they would in FM or reality but just a comparison

• 3 weeks later...

couldn't you just edit the players nationality to just basque get rid of spain etc????

and play as the basque manager.................I'm sure if you pick a player in a national squad they will play for you

would love to see what you have done with league/nation sounds great

I want to create a celtic league for ireland wales scotland/nation....and love to be able to create a tournament for home nations england/scotland etc............does anyone know if you create future friendlies for nations do they play them...as I have set up games for england wales scotland ireland etc but they dont happen still play friendlies against other nations?

if another nation is created does it cause a conflict with too many national teams...or does the nation just cause odd numbers for euro/world cup groups

couldn't you just edit the players nationality to just basque get rid of spain etc????

and play as the basque manager.................I'm sure if you pick a player in a national squad they will play for you

would love to see what you have done with league/nation sounds great

I want to create a celtic league for ireland wales scotland/nation....and love to be able to create a tournament for home nations england/scotland etc............does anyone know if you create future friendlies for nations do they play them...as I have set up games for england wales scotland ireland etc but they dont happen still play friendlies against other nations?

if another nation is created does it cause a conflict with too many national teams...or does the nation just cause odd numbers for euro/world cup groups

If you create future friendlies sometimes they are played and sometimes not which is strange.

About creating nations, Europe allow for up to more to compete without any bad effects. Add in more to Europe or any to the other continents it would mean that one team is randomly left out of competitions. For example add in a team to South America and Brazil may be left out of the World Cup qualifiers for one year and then Argentina next time or even Brazil again. It is totally random each time but someone will definitely be left out.

Archived