FM10: Official Hertha Berliner Sport-Club von 1892 Thread (Dance With Die Alte Dame)

Mooki3

Hertha Berliner Sport-Club von 1892

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

Hertha Berliner Sport-Club von 1892 (commonly known as Hertha BSC or Hertha Berlin) is a German football club based in Berlin. A founding member of the German Football Association in Leipzig in 1900, the club has a long history as Berlin's best-supported side and competes today in the first division Bundesliga.

History

Early years

The club was formed in 1892 as BFC Hertha 92, taking its name from a steamship with a blue and white smokestack. One of the four young men who founded the club had taken a day trip on this ship with his father. The name Hertha is a variation on Nerthus referring to fertility goddess from Germanic mythology.

Hertha performed consistently well on the field, including a win in the first Berlin championship final in 1905.[1] In May 1910, Hertha won a friendly match against Southend United F.C., which was considered significant at the time as England was where the game originated and English clubs dominated the sport. However, their on-field success was not matched financially and in 1920 Hertha merged with the well-heeled club Berliner Sport-Club to form Hertha Berliner Sport-Club. The new team continued to enjoy considerable success in the Oberliga Berlin-Brandenburg, while also enduring a substantial measure of frustration. The team played its way to the German championship final in six consecutive seasons from 1926 to 1931, but were only able to come away with the title in 1930 and 1931 with BSC leaving to become an independent club again after the combined side's first championship. Even so, Hertha emerged as the Germany's second most successful team during the inter-war years.

Play under the Third Reich

German football was re-organized under the Third Reich in 1933 into sixteen top-flight divisions, which saw Hertha playing in the Gauliga Berlin-Brandenburg. The club continued to enjoy success within their division, regularly finishing in the upper half of the table and capturing the divisional title in 1935, 1937, and 1944. However, they faded from prominence, unable to advance out of the early rounds of the national championship rounds. Politically, the club was overhauled under Hitler, with Hans Pfeifer, a Nazi party member being installed as president.

Postwar play in divided Berlin

After World War II, occupying Allied authorities banned most organizations in Germany, including sports and football clubs. Hertha was re-formed late in 1945 as SG Gesundbrunnen and resumed play in the Oberliga Berlin - Gruppe C. The thirty-six teams of the first season of the postwar Oberliga Berlin were reduced to just a dozen the next year and the club found itself out of first division football and playing in the Amateurliga Berlin. By the end of 1949, they had re-claimed their identity as Hertha BSC Berlin and earned a return to the top-flight.

Tensions between the western Allies and the Russians occupying various sectors of the city, and the developing Cold War, led to chaotic conditions for football in the capital. Hertha was banned from play against East German teams in the 1949-50 season after taking on several players and a coach who had fled the Dresden club SG Friedrichstadt for West Berlin. A number of sides from the eastern half of the city were forced from the Oberliga Berlin to the newly established DDR-Liga beginning with the 1950-51 season.

Through the 50's an intense rivalry developed with Tennis Borussia Berlin. A proposal for a merger between the two clubs in 1958 was resoundingly rejected, with only three of the 266 members voting in favour.

Entry to the Bundesliga

At the time of the formation of the Bundesliga in 1963, Hertha was Berlin's reigning champion and so became an inaugural member of the new professional national league.[4] In spite of finishing clear of the relegation zone, the team was demoted after the 1964-65 season following attempts to bribe players to play in the city under what had become decidedly unpleasant circumstances after the erection of the Berlin Wall.[4] This caused something of a crisis for the Bundesliga which wanted for political reasons to continue to have a team in its ranks representing the former capital. Through various machinations this led to the promotion of Tasmania 1900 Berlin, which then delivered the worst-ever performance in Bundesliga history. Hertha managed a return to the premier German league in 1968-69 and developed a solid following making it Berlin's favorite side.

However, Hertha was again soon touched by scandal through its involvement with several other clubs in the Bundesliga match fixing scandal of 1971. In the course of an investigation of Hertha's role, it was also revealed that the club was 6 million DM in debt. Financial disaster was averted through the sale of the team's former home ground.

In spite of this, the team continued to enjoy a fair measure of success on the field through the 70's with a second place Bundesliga finish behind Borussia Moenchengladbach in 1974-75, a semi-final appearance in the 1979 UEFA Cup, and two appearances in the final of the German Cup (1977 and 1979). The following season saw the fortunes of the team take a turn for the worse as they were relegated to 2.Bundesliga where they would spend thirteen of the next seventeen seasons.

Plans in 1982 for a merger with Tennis Borussia, Blau Weiss 90 and SC Charlottenburg to form a side derisively referred to as FC Utopia never came to fruition. Hertha slipped as low as the third tier Amateur Oberliga Berlin where they spent two seasons (1986-87 and 1987-88). Two turns in the Bundesliga (1982-83 and 1990-91) saw the team immediately relegated after poor performances. Hertha's amateur side enjoyed a greater measure of success, advancing all the way to the final of the German Cup in 1993 where their run ended in a close 0:1 defeat at the hands of Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen.

Following the fall of the Berlin Wall, Hertha became a popular side in East Berlin as well. Two days after the wall come down, 11,000 East Berliners attended Hertha's match against SG Wattenscheid.[8] A fan friendship with 1. FC Union Berlin developed, and a friendly match between the two attracted over 50,000 spectators.

Financial woes once more burdened the club in 1994 as it found itself 10 million DM in debt. The crisis was again resolved through the sale of real estate holdings in addition to the signing of a new sponsor and management team. By 1997 Hertha found its way back to the Bundesliga where they have generally managed to finish in the upper third of the slate. When Hertha was promoted in 1997, it ended Berlin's six-year-long drought without a Bundesliga side which made the Bundesliga the only top league in Europe without representation from the country's biggest city and capital.

First Team Squad (Bold: Key Player / Italics: Top Prospect)

1 GK Jaroslav Drobný

12 GK Timo Ochs

30 GK Christopher Gäng

40 GK Sascha Burchert

3 DF Arne Friedrich (captain)

4 DF Steve von Bergen

5 DF Nemanja Pejčinović (on loan from FK Rad)

6 DF Christoph Janker

13 DF Marc Stein

16 DF Roman Hubník (on loan from FC Moscow)

21 DF Levan Kobiashvili

22 DF Rasmus Bengtsson

35 DF Shervin Radjabali-Fardi

7 MF Cícero (on loan from Tombense)

8 MF Pál Dárdai

10 MF Raffael

11 MF Florian Kringe (on loan from Borussia Dortmund)

20 MF Patrick Ebert

25 MF Maximilian Nicu

26 MF Łukasz Piszczek

28 MF Fabian Lustenberger

29 MF Sascha Bigalke

31 MF Fanol Perdedaj

36 MF Lennart Hartmann

44 MF Gojko Kačar

9 FW Adrián Ramos

17 FW Theofanis Gekas (on loan from Bayer Leverkusen)

18 FW Artur Wichniarek

23 FW Valeri Domovchiyski

The Challenge

The German league is the fastest improving league in Europe; with the success of Bayern in the Champions league this season and the host of other German clubs (FC Bayern Munich, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Hamburger SV, FC Schalke 04, VfB Stuttgart, SV Werder Bremen, and SV Werder Bremen) proving a force in Europe over the past few years, and exciting ‘up and coming’ clubs like TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, it is soon to be recognised as the 3rd best in Europe (by gaining Italy’s 4th Champion’s League spot).

There is a hole in the German market however, as the best-supported club in the Capital (and most populous) city are perennial underachievers. This is a club with a massive support, stadium (the 74.5k Olympic Stadium), an absolutely amazing history (if you haven’t taken the time, read back through that section, well worth it) and an infrastructure to match the top European clubs. Everything is there for this club to be successful both at home and on a World scale. You’re mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take this club and make it the side it could and should be.

Summary

This is a PROPER challenge, for those of you stuck trying to find something that will allow you to continue to manage at the top level, whilst also really straining your intellectual muscle. Hertha BSC seriously over achieved last season and have subsequently qualified for the EURO Cup, this season however they are languishing at the bottom of the German league. With no money and over wage budget, this is no doubt one of the most difficult FM experiences, but great fun and very rewarding!

I have a German friend living with me that hates Hertha BSC, he follows Shalke I think. Good luck in the German Bundesliga, I had a lot of fun with Wolfsburg. I might keep checking back here to see how well you got with with them :).

I have a German friend living with me that hates Hertha BSC, he follows Shalke I think. Good luck in the German Bundesliga, I had a lot of fun with Wolfsburg. I might keep checking back here to see how well you got with with them :).

Nice one bud! Hope your hammers are coming along nicely!

Yes !!!!

This looks top class, i was gonna start save as sporting cp, but now i am gonna try this out !

What leagues do you think that i should run alongside the German league ?

Does the German league have any restrictions on the amount of non E.U players that they can have in there team !

King Artur a top player ? :eek::eek:

The ratings regarding key players and top prospects are a bit dodgy in general imho, but overall a very nice opening post :thup:

Maybe you could add some information and pictures of the Olympiastadion ? It's where the 2006 World Cup final took place afterall.

Berlin's Old Lady really is a major challenge this season and FM doesn't even reflect the mental weakness of the irl squad properly :o

Guess compared to Gekas he is a topplayer... okay thats the Leverkusen point of view, bit disturbing to see him highlighted :)

Yes !!!!

This looks top class, i was gonna start save as sporting cp, but now i am gonna try this out !

Does the German league have any restrictions on the amount of non E.U players that they can have in there team !

The league doesnt have restriction, but you are only allowed to have three non-european players on the field in cup games.

If you want your second team playing in a league I'd suggest downloading the german lower league update and load the top 4 leagues in germany (down to Regionalliga). If not, I guess its up to your personal preference how far down you want to go. Other than that I guess its personal preference, I usually load France, England, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands, Brazil and Argentina but thats just me.

Yes !!!!

Get involved pal! It is properly hard, but very addictive! Keep us updated and good luck!

Guess compared to Gekas he is a topplayer... okay thats the Leverkusen point of view, bit disturbing to see him highlighted :)

I stick by it, he is a decent little poacher, doesn't get as many goals as Raffael (who I've turned into a real little superstar in the deep-laying forward position), but defo chips in with a few!

Ok, 11 games in:

Screen-shot-2010-05-01-at-19-27-06fka_th.png

Screen-shot-2010-05-01-at-19-27-28t5z_th.png

Screen-shot-2010-05-01-at-19-27-46r55_th.png

Haven't bought anyone, sold a crappy goalkeeper for around 30 thousand.

Raffael haven't played him, apparently he not that good according to my assistant and coaches (i depend too much on my staff much these days)

The other thing i did was fire alot of the staff there and hired my own, some the coaches there were complete crap.

You've got to use Raffael really to win anything, he's by quite a distance your best player. Also, I'd be Kacar in the holding midfield role, personally.

Oh, i do use Kacar in the holding role, he was just injured at that time of the screenshot. I also got though the euro group phase on goal difference :)

Screen-shot-2010-05-02-at-11-47-4888r_th.png

None too shabby a performance that pal, keep up the good work!! How much do you get to spend for 3rd in season 2?

****** 3.5 m lmao, but i did some wheeling and dealing, here what i bought:

Screen-shot-2010-05-04-at-23-12-08afh_th.png

Screen-shot-2010-05-04-at-23-11-22jvi_th.png

Screen-shot-2010-05-04-at-23-11-452wr_th.png

Screen-shot-2010-05-04-at-23-12-45tp5_th.png

The embarrassing thing is that i got knocked out of the champions league by bloody spurs, the teams very young at the min ! Hopefully next season we can have better shot at things.

• 2 weeks later...

Started a challenge with hertha and managed to win the league(even though i lost 8 games)and got to the europa league final where i got hammered 4-0 by benfica.

I put my run of form down to luck and every team in the league managing to take points of each other so i didnt expect to challenge again next year but my chairman has givin me 13mil to spend and he EXPECTS that we win the league again,its taken the fun out of it a bit as i wanted to slowly build the team into champions league winners but pretty much impossible now:(

• 5 weeks later...

Right.. just started a game on 10.3 and noticed that the media prediction is to finish 5th!! Are you serious?!?!

Anyway, I ended the loans of Kringe and Gekas which freed up £45k of wages. Obviously this can be adjusted to provide transfer funds. Sold Marc Stein for £2.3m, Piszczek for £1.5m and Domovchiyski for £2.2m (Beware: there is a sell-on clause meaning 20% of the fee goes to his old club - doh!). Nobody will take Bengtsson and Janker won't leave due to his recent arrival, will try offloading both again in January.

Brought in:

Josh Lambo - £8k

Mathias Jorgensen - £1.7m over 48 months

Marc Muniesa - £130k

Svezhov - £100k

Oscar Sielva - £300k over 48 months

A few regen german youth for £600k/£800k over 48 months

Other targets that rejected me for other german clubs included Badelj, Gaston Fernandez, Baba, Romario Mendes and Nabil Dirar.

Just been informed that the loan repayments of £1m per month on the recent £29m loan are about to start.. oh joy!

More updates soon!

• 10 months later...

Archived