FM 10: Peterborough United thread - Up the Posh!

higgins

20091112-k8gdtkjpnj6ejcibhu2dhm1h3x.jpg

Peterborough United F.C.

Club overview

Peterborough United, nicknamed the Posh, was founded in 1934, their home ground is London Road stadium (15.000 seats) and they're playing in the Coca-cola championship, after back to back promotions.

They're media predicted to be 24th in the league, so the odds are saying they have very good chances to be relegated.

In real life, Darren Ferguson, the coach that led them from League 2 to Championship in just 2 seasons has been sacked some days ago, with the Posh struggling to survive.

Could you do something better?

They're a good challenge, not so much money and close to EPL but with a young and inexperienced team.

Budget: the board wiil give you 800 k with a wage budget at 2.9 p/a, to avoid relegation.

Training and youth facility: basic level.

Players

20091112-rmie917kr76a6trwngbw3t13pi.jpg

Your best Player?

Quite simple, George Boyd the "white Pelè" is your star-player, young but already reliable, he is a technically skilled natural central attacking midfielder, that could easily play upfront or on your left wing, his flair and his long shot will be vital for your side.

Another good player is your keeper, Joe Lewis, an English goalie waiting to prove his worth, he will do the job for you.

The best central defender you have is Gabriel Zakuani, the former Fulham centre-back is solid enough for the championship, dominant in the air, you should play him with Krystian Pearce, on loan from Birmingham, he will improve game after game.

Your fullbacks are nothing special, you should bring in some better players.

In the middle of the pitch Scottish u-21 international Paul Coutts could be the right choice if you're looking for a supporting/attacking role, with Frecklington as a backup, while Diagouraga is your holding midfielder, he doesn't have great stats but if you can't buy a better one he will improve if you'll let him play.

You have only one decent offensive flanker, Tommy Rowe on the left, Shaun Batt (right winger), despite having good physical attributes, is very poor technically.

Upfront you have two very fast attackers, Mackail-Smith and Aaron Mclean, they're quite similar, quick but with low mental skills, my advice would be to sell one of them to raise some money and play Georgie Boyd upfront, he will be a consistent assist man for your team, scoring some goals too.

Tactic to use

A flat 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 should be good, but you need to bring in some good flankers.

Otherwise you could play a 4-5-1, with a flat midfield trio and using Boyd on the left flank as a winger and use Mackail-Smith or McLean as a lone striker.

I just started this one and I'll post here some quick updates of my first season with them, if you want some more detailed reports you could find them on my blog.

So what are you waiting for?

They need a posh manager for a posh club! ;)

My local team, :) Absolutely loved being them in FM09, and sure enough I will have a save with them this year!

With all the possible loan signings and excellent free transfers on the market, it could end up being a good save!

Nice OP. :thup:

I spent 825k in the market and I brought in some good players:

Motaeb (St) 300k

Elliot Grandin (winger) for free

Abubakary (right back) for free

Dani Lopez (left-back) 150k

Moussa Kalisse (left winger) 170

John Bostock (mc) on loan

I sold Mackail-Smith for 1.2 m.

I regularly go to watch Peterorough play IRL, and the team is better than they have made them in-game.

Especially George Boyd.

I'm mid-table after half the season, i started again, without signing anyone to see how well i could do, going fairly well at the moment.

I regularly go to watch Peterorough play IRL, and the team is better than they have made them in-game.

Especially George Boyd.

I'm mid-table after half the season, i started again, without signing anyone to see how well i could do, going fairly well at the moment.

Yep, Georgie Boyd seems to be a classy player, irl and in the game too! :thup:

George Boyd just got sold by the board from under my nose. He was worth around £2.5m, and dirty Leeds were coming in with £2.9m bids, which were rightly refused.

Then comes along Stoke, with a £3m bid and he's off. This seems a little unrealistic, as the club is not strapped for cash, as I have edited DMac to be a frontrunning sugar daddy. After Stevenage took their 40% cut, I was left with peanuts for my besy player.

Not good.

Also I noticed that this thread is not bookmarked on the Teams Guide, I will try and bring this to a moderator's attention.

Just started my own Peterborough game (A challenge on another site.. shhhh).

Just completed my Pre-Season;

• 2-2 Peterborough Res.(H)
    Was a good match. Mixed the squads up so the teams looked even.
    I selected my current squad from the outcome
  • 3-1 Accrington(A)
    A game we should've won, and did it well.
  • 0-1 Morton(A)
    Unfortunate to lose. I tried an attacking tactic when I should have stay defensive. Amateur mistake.
  • 3-2 Hearts(H)
    We pulled one out of the bag here. A great result leading into the season opener against Derby.
    Charlie Lee picked up a brace... Boyd got the Third

I also done alot in the transfer market (which is not really my style).

I didn't release or sell anyone at all but I brought in alot of help.

Transfered In

Christian Vieri (Free) - It was either him or Camara. I opted for Vieri for the game-breaking he is capable of.

Pele (Free) - I don't see why noone had picked him up before me but he's added strength to my D-Line.

John Bostock (Loan-Tottenham) - Should add a bit of flair to my midfielders I play with 3 behind the wingers.

Gokhan Tore (Loan-Chelsea) - Desperate for Wing back-up and he is definitely more than sufficient.

Also brought in from the Triallists match:

Luka Senicanin - Has been moved on loan to Kettering for development.

Bakary Soro - He will be an excellent back up for my defence. Capable of starting. Awaiting WP.

Still To Come

Iban Zubiaurre (Free-Athletic Bilbao) - Will join in October. Straight into the weaker DL position.

Any tips on who to use as a back-up keeper?

As mentioned earlier, I have Kettering as a Feeder Club

so my young players should get decent play-time in the Blue Square Prem.

I have also got Aston Villa as a Parent Club,

hoping they'll send me soem quality youths over the coming years.

In my experience with Villa in last years game, they produce some good regens.

Well, on to the season proper... + Walsall in the League Cup opener

Finished my first season with the Posh, 2nd place and direct promotion to EPL.

An amazing season, Motaeb and Boyd were my best players, Joe Lewis was great between the sticks an Zakuani proved to be avery reliable central defender.

For the left back spot my advice would be to buy Dani Lopez, cheap and consistent performer!

For further informations about my Peterborough game, have look here: Football Manager Stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so far so good for me in the championship just coming to the end of march and Im 3rd in the league, dont ask me how but i managed to get ex porto player Adriano from Braga for 130k and hes been banging em in. also got smithies from Huddersfield as my keeper and man city been scouting him alot just hoping my chairman doesnt sell him from under me. found a few random players ive never had before who are doing the business too kevin theophile-catherine from rennes is a decent D/WBR and I got Ahmed Yahiaoui on a free, got possebon on loan from man utd and hes been the star for me so far, even been capped fully by italy, will post more shortly hopefully my next update Ill be staring in the premiership.

• 4 months later...

(PATCH 10.3; Database:Small; Budget in 1st window enabled; League selected till English championship) Current Position 17th

My second attempt at Peterbrough after getting relegated in the previous one iis looking rosier as in not getting relegated this time.Indeed Zakuani and Charlie Lee are good players. Disappointments for me has to be Ryan Bennett cause stats wise he seems up to the mark but never transforms in ratings. Joe Lewis i found is an okay performer. Never managed to get one 8 for me.

Players signed:

Richard Hughes FREE MC Decent but on 10k wages

Zavon Hines LOAN SEASON FC Decent though not banging as much goals as i would like

Tomas Horava 250k AMC Supreme in terms of rating

Jan signings:

Gary Deegan 500k

Micheal Woods 250k

Starting line-up:

Lewis GK

Griffith/Rowe LB

Zakuani CB

Bennett/Morgan CB

Gilbert RB

Richard Hughes MC

Horava MC

Deegan MC

Mackail Smith FC

Hines FC

Maclean/Omor Koroma(Loan 2m)/Jay Rodriguez(loan 1m) FC

I've joined PeterBorough in 2015. Boyd, Mcclean,Smith,Lewis, Bennett and others left before i joined. The squad i took on had dead wood with several signings went out of door. Since i joined i brought in Hooper,Adam Rooney, Michael Doyle, Gary Deegen, Jake Picton,Craig Alcock, and Jonathan Page. The team is in Pre season at the minute.

Archived