FM2010 Official Luton Town Thread

hjfh

FM2010 Official Luton Town Thread

LutonTownFC2009.png

History

Luton Town Football Club, nicknamed The Hatters, was founded in April 1885 following the merger of leading local clubs Wanderers and Excelsior.

The club was a founding member of the Southern Football League back in 1894 and finished runner up in its first two seasons. In 1905 the club moved to its current Kenilworth Road home and 15 years later in the 1920/1921 season joined the Football League.

Luton played in the Third Division South until 1937 when they won promotion to the second division. During the promotion season striker Joe Payne scored an impressive 55 goals in 39 games!

During the 1950s one of Luton's greatest ever sides emerged under Dally Duncan, including England international Syd Owen and the clubs all time top scorer Gordon Turner. The club reached the top flight for the first time in 1955/1956 and several years of success followed, including and FA Cup Final appearance against Nottingham Forest in 1959. Unfortunatly relegation occured the following season and by 1965 the club was playing in the fourth tier. This was the first of Luton's big drops down the divisions.

Luton finally won promotion back to the top flight in 1973/1974 but were relegated the following season. In 1978 former player David Pleat took over as Luton manager, and by 1982/1983 the club was back in the top flight. In 1987 the club finished in its highest ever league position of 7th in the First Division and a year later won the League Cup against Arsenal. Many great players played for Luton throughout the 80's including Ricky Hill, Brian Stein and Mick Harford.

The club was relegated in 1992 and hasn't returned to the top division since. In 1996 Luton dropped into the third tier where they stayed untill 2001 when they were relegated to the Fourth tier, Divsion 3. With Joe Kinnear as manager and club legend Mick Harford as his assistant they built an entire new team, bringing in players such as Steve Howard, Kevin Nicholls and Chris Coyne and won promotion back to the Second Division on the first attempt.

The club was purchased by John Gurney in 2003 and he replaced Joe Kinnear with Mike Newell before leaving the club in administation. However in 04/05 with new owners on board, Mike Newell led Luton back to the second tier, the Championship winning League One. Luton had an impressive debut season in the Championship, finishing 10th and at one point looking like they could challenge for the play-offs.

At the start of the 06/07 season the club sold Kevin Nicholls and Steve Howard who had been a crucial part of the team for 5 years which upset many fans. Luton started the 06/07 season well but, after the sales of more key players in January, ended up getting relegated back to League One. Mike Newell was sacked in April 07 with Kevin Blackwell taking over.

07/08 is a season that most Luton fans would rather forget. By November the club had entered administation for the 3rd time in its history and in January Blackwell resigned. Club legend Mick Harford returned but with the squad in a mess and a 10 point deduction there was only one outcome, relegation. A consortium of fans took over the club in the summer of 2008.

The club was hit with a 30 point deduction for the 08/09 season relating to coming out of admistration and financial irregularities. Mick Harford built a new team who, although trying very hard, failed to gain enough points to stay up resulting in relegation to the Blue Square Premier, the fifth tier of English football, for the first time in Luton's history. One positive from the 08/09 season was winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at Wembley against Scunthorpe.

The club begun the 09/10 season hoping for a return to the Football League at the first attempt.

Information

Founded: 1885

Chariman Status: Loves the club

Legends: Mick Harford

Icons: Brian Stein, Ricky Hill, David Pleat

Favoured Personnel: Steve Foster, Kevin Nicholls, Keith Keane

Fierce Rivals: Watford

Other Rivals: QPR

Finances: Okay

Average ticket price: £16

Average season ticket price: £325

Season ticket holders: 4000

Estimated value: £1.2 Milllion

Minimum expectation: Win the Blue Square Premier

Transfer budget: £0

Squad Analysis

Goalkeeper

The current first choice goalkeeper is Mark Tyler who will be a great keeper for the BSP and the 2 leagues above. Back up Shane Gore, who is only on a short term contract, is adequete cover although you may want to look at other options.

Defence

This is where the squad is currently strongest, most defenders at Luton can play in several defensive positions which means there is lots of cover. George Pilkington is a quality centre back who will attract interst from clubs in higher leagues. Shane Blackett is a pacey centre back who can play at left back as well, the ideal partner for Pilkington. Alan White is an experienced centre back who will be the main cover at centre back, very good in the air. There is also Callum Reynolds on loan from Portsmouth who is quite promising and will be able to compete for a place in the starting XI. Moving on to full backs at left back there is several options. Lewis Emanuel is probably the best left back and can also play on the left of midfield, there is also Jake Howells who is Luton's most promising player, he can play in the same positions as Emanuel. At right back Claude Gnakpa and Ed Asafu-Adjaye are both good players, Ed starts the game injured so Claude will probably be your first choice if you choose to keep him. He is the most physically strong player Luton posses and is great at getting foward. There is also Luton's best defensive midfielder Keith Keane who is an accomplished right back and can fill in at centre back and left back if need be. Finally the last defender is Fred Murray, on loan from Grays Athletic. He can play at left back and centre back although you will probably only use him as cover if you choose to keep him.

Midfield

8nicholls.jpg

Club captain Kevin Nicholls

Midfield is also a strong area of the team. Keith Keane is the best midfielder at the club and is best used in a defensive midfield role, as metioned above he can move back to defence as well. Club captain and fan favourite Kevin Nicholls is also a defensive midfielder who although not quite as good as Keane is by far the best leader at the club. Andy Burgess is a central midfielder who can operate on the left as well. He is very good technically and on the demo I like playing him in the centre alongside one of Keane and Nicholls. Other options include Asa Hall who is valuable to the team as he has the ability to score from long shots, there is also Rossi Jarvis who can provide cover in the centre and on the right. On the left of midfield you have the option of Burgess, Emauel and Howells who will all perform well. There isn't really an AML type of player though. On the right Adam Newton is very pacey and good at dribbling, only problem is there isn't many options if he gets injured, however Claude Gnakpa can move up if needed. I think there is a lack of a good attacking midfielder and I think that needs to be the one of the first places you strengthen.

Strikers

This is probably the weakest area of the team. Tom Craddock is a very good player who is guarenteed to get goals and will probably attract interest from clubs higher up. Liam Hatch is a great target man type player however he starts the game injured, also starting injured is Ryan Charles who is the 3rd best striker Luton have. Other than that the options are the ageing Kevin Gallen and Steve Basham. Both will do a job but i'd imagine their stats will soon decline.

Youth Team

There are several players to watch in the youth team, Adam Watkins, Jordan Patrick and Jean Phillip Yamfam are the most promising.

Staff

Ctak Manager/Coach: Alan Neilson

Asst Manager: Kevin Watson

Player Coach: Kevin Gallen

GK Coach: Dmitry Kharin

Youth Coach: Martin Prickett

Youth Coach: Gregg Broughton

Reccomended XI

On the demo i've been lining up like this:

4-4-2

Tyler

Keane-Pilkington-Blackett-Emanuel

Newton-Keane-Burgess-Howells

Craddock-Gallen

Potential transfer targets

Tom Williams - Peterborough - D/WB/ML - £0

Magnus Eikrem - Man Utd - AMRC - Loan

Zoltan Harsanyi - Bolton - AML, ST - Loan

Sofiane Zaaboub - Free agent - D/WB/AML

Willy Topp - Free agent -ST (7 goals in first 6 games)

Ashley Chambers - Leicester - AMR/ST - Loan

Lewis Young - Watford - AML - Loan

Izzy Iriekpen - Free agent - DC

Why be Luton Town?

Being the biggest team in the BSP means you will be able to attract players other teams can't to an already good squad. Getting the club back into the Football League and up the divisions is a great challenge if you want a long term game.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing I've done with my Luton demo is pretty much terminated the Contracts of the backroom staff, especially as I was told by Nick Owen that they'll happily accept mutual termination if I want to bring my own team in. I know we're in the BSP but their ratings are pretty poor. My news Assistant Manager is John Morling who has some pretty damn good attributes. Need to get a good coach next and I have a couple of fairly decent scouts in now. So we'll see what happens.

hjfh - I like your overview and I think I'll look at bringing in a striker to partner Craddock and will look to bring in cover on the right of midfield. I need to figure out my team as I had a practice match with the Reserves and was lucky to come away with a 2-2 draw. Was very impressed with Yamfam and Lacey in the Reserves / Youth Team. Obviously the 1st team needs a bit of work. :o

I played Luton a few time in 09 and enjoyed the challenge of keeping them up in the first season. Gonna definitely play them in the main game. Dissapointed Asafu-Adjaye is out at the start iof the season for a while as he was always my best CB in 09.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started a new game rather than continuing my demo save and i've signed the following:

Willy Topp - Free agent -ST (7 goals in first 6 games)

Ashley Chambers - Leicester - AMR/ST - Loan

Lewis Young - Watford - AML - Loan

Izzy Iriekpen - Free agent - DC

Martin Hansen - Liverpool - GK - Loan

Topp and Iriekpen will want highish wages so i'd reccomend getting rid of some dead wood first.

I've won 5 and drawn 1 of my first 6 games.

Max Noble is a quality player too, can sign him but other higher clubs get interested and inevitable chooses them.

Ashley Chambers is a good signing on loan as is Dalla Valle who I signed on loan from Liverpool to play up front. Topp is class as already mentioned.

A great coup for me was Bruno n gotty on a free. Slow but heading, tackling and marking is exceptional for the league. He is 38 so will only get me promoted then he will probably retire.

Anyone got any good tactics for Luton specifically?

Never know what a good combination is for strikers ie Poacher, deep lying.

Only thing Ive worked out is to put newton wide right and put run with ball to 'often' as he is lightning and puts a good cross in.

Anyone got any good tactics for Luton specifically?

Never know what a good combination is for strikers ie Poacher, deep lying.

I usually go 4-4-2 with an advanced foward and a deep lying both set to attacking. You mention Topp so I presume you've signed him, play him in the advanced roll and then Craddock as the deep lying. Topp already has 20 goals for me in November.

I've found some more players which might be of help to some of you:

(All are free agents)

Issou Dao - DRC - might struggle for work permit

Dino Djiba - DM - might struggle for work permit

Gregory Carmona - AMRC

Rahmane Barry - AML

Zico Tumba - AM/FC

Matt Mousillou - ST

What deadwood did you get rid of hjfh?

I sent Murray back as well as Hatch and released Basham. Loaned out Jarvis and Beavan.

Other than that I've kept everyone. There are a few players like White and Gnakpa who won't get in my team now who i've transfer listed.

I sent Murray back as well as Hatch and released Basham. Loaned out Jarvis and Beavan.

Other than that I've kept everyone. There are a few players like White and Gnakpa who won't get in my team now who i've transfer listed.

Gnakpa starts mst games for me and doing well as an attacking full back.

Ryan Shotton (D RC) from stoke reserves is an absolute must for loaning.

Pacey, 6' 4" tall and great at heading, marking and tackling.

I use him with either Pilkington or N'Gotty at the back.

Topp is doing well.

1st by 2 points with 12 games gone.

Gnakpa is a useful player but for me I play Pilkington at right back with Ed AA as cover. Then on the right of midfield it is between Newton and Chambers so Gnakpa can't get in my team.

Good shout with Shotton :thup:

I'm just coming up to the 1st of January and top by 13 points. Nicholls has damanged his cruciate ligaments and is out for a year :(

Hmmm just deciding whether to start fresh with the new game or continue my demo. On the demo I bought in 4 quality players.

Central Defender: Mamadou Seck (Senegal)

Attacking Midfielder / Striker: Luka Senicanin (Serbia)

Right Winger: Michael D' Agostino (Cananda)

Striker: Izet Zahirovic (Bosnia & Herzog...)

As I said in an ealrier post I also brought in some decent coaches and scouts which have proved vital. With the demo I was only in the middle of September but already 7 points clear at the top from Cambridge.

All 4 have been brilliant and on freebies. Haven't really had to break the bank either although it has taken the 1.5k left on my wages to spend. I did send Reynolds back as I didn't need him in the squad, that saved a bit of cash on wages.

I think I'll keep my demo save to use another time but will definitely start fresh. May look to sign these players again or perhaps look at Topp as he seems to be one of the best picks for us.

I will keep you all posted should I unearth any other gems.

As I said in an ealrier post I also brought in some decent coaches and scouts which have proved vital.

I think I'll keep my demo save to use another time but will definitely start fresh. May look to sign these players again or perhaps look at Topp as he seems to be one of the best picks for us.

I hired the assistant manager you mentioned and he is very good.

You should definetly sign Topp as he has already got me 30+ goals in February! Also Mousillou who I mentioned a few posts up as he is banging them in as well.

Started today, will keep the majority of the squad as I don't activate budgets to start with.

Started with an asymetric 4-2-3-1

Tyler; Howells, Pilks, Blackett, Claude, Keane, Nico, Burgess, Hall, Newton, Craddock

Craddock atm as a poacher. Here goes!

Well i've finished the season, just got the FA Trophy final to go. I think it is probably the best season i've ever had on FM.

I ended up playing 3-4-3 with Topp, Craddock and Moussilou up front. Topp scored 42 goals in total.

78798597.jpg

I didn't get any money for January. Suppose if you have some spare wages you can get it adjusted to get some money?

I've actually signed him for the second season, Leicester let me have him for free! He demands high wages though.

had a 500 seat upgrade not much but now im in the championship money should be a lot better and upgrades will follow

Were your promotions all one after the other?

Have you got any of the original squad still?

Approaching December in game now, sit top, 2 points above Cambridge (Oxford are in mid table where they belong ;)). Craddock, Blackett & Pilks have been great

Feel confident for promotion, I hope that the original squad can play in League 2, as I don't expect any come to come in.

Just into the first week of December, sitting top by 8 points with just 3 points between second and seventh. Having a good run in the FA Cup having put MK Dons by coming back from 3-1 to 3-4 with only ten men , then I put out Hartlepool 2-0 next up QPR away. Willy Topp has 21 goals in 17 games.

Signed a few players including Willy Topp, Gary Wales, Rob Sissons, Christian Gyan, Flavian Belson, Stephen O'Donnell and Maxime Chanot.

Also got rid of Keane and Pilks purely for financial reasons bringing in 100k for the 2. A pity but never mind.

So far I've won 4 out of 4, Topp and Wales are tearing teams in the BSP apart for fun. Defence is still a little shoddy but nothing that can't be sorted. :)

Right I have just started a new game now after much deliberation about continuing the demo. So far I have got my favourite assistant Morling back in. Sent Hatch, Reynolds and Murray packing as I wanted to free some wages up for a few quality signings.

Two signed, Spanish defender Luis Manuel Rubiales, even Keet Keane said it was a shrewd bit of business. Of course I had to sign Willy Topp and he nets an 11 mins hatrtrick in a friendly match against GH Academy. He also set Craddock up for a 35yd screamer.

Trouble is I've only got about £550 left to spend on wages. Need a decent Right winger to challenge Newton.

I've got Man Utd coming up in a Friendly. :eek:

I've decided to cash in on Pilks so that I can get a decent right winger in for the wages I need to pay. Could also sign a bargain central defender to replace him. I think I have adequate cover at the back. If I can £40,00 from Notts County that's not too bad.

Narrowly lost 2-1 to Man United in a friendly. Rio Ferdinand got harassed by Craddock and put through his own net. :D

Just into the first week of December, sitting top by 8 points with just 3 points between second and seventh. Having a good run in the FA Cup having put MK Dons by coming back from 3-1 to 3-4 with only ten men , then I put out Hartlepool 2-0 next up QPR away. Willy Topp has 21 goals in 17 games.

Topp did the same for me, he is now on a 5 game drought but Lauri Dalla Valle is pulling in the goals.

Think I need to download the patch... 12 points clear by December. Topp hit a drought, Craddock injured for two months as is Keane, Asa Hall with a broken leg is out for 8 months and Nicholls out for 4 months and Burgess is another 4 monther, all the best players getting long term injuries. Its just ridiculous.

Got Prutton from Leeds coming in Jan for 3k fee. Sold Ryan Charles for 9k to Ebbsfleet but hes actually not too bad for BSP level.

Due to injuries Rossi Jarvis has been starting centre mid with Keith Keane behind him. Jarvis has been playing out of his skin. Probably not good enough for League 2 unfortunately.

Played Southhampton in FA Cup, 4-1 down at half time but drew 4-4. Craddock with a hat trick....awaiting return leg on boxing day but not holding out much hope due to a weakened squad.

Forgot to mention, Kevin Gallen is a legend, playing wide left he has scored 6 in 4 since my injuries occured...now glad he didnt take my offer as just being a coach in my mission to reduce wage bill.

Forgot to mention, Kevin Gallen is a legend, playing wide left he has scored 6 in 4 since my injuries occured...now glad he didnt take my offer as just being a coach in my mission to reduce wage bill.

I tried in the demo version, to offer Gallen just a playing role as I thought his coaching skills somewhat lacked and I would be better served bringing in someone else. Unfortunately I gave him a new playing contract but he was still my coach despite the new contract only selected as a playing role. D'oh. :confused:

He's a good substitute to have as he can play in midfield and up front.

Right this Willy Topp myth. He's meant to be this great player, who scores lots of goals but I must be playing him wrong ever since he netted an 11 minute hatrick in his first match, which was a pre season game, he's done not much else. He's played in about 6 or 7 games and not scored. He's had plenty of one-on-ones and not scored. :confused:

How is everyone using him? Fortunately Craddock is scoring a few for me which helps.

Right this Willy Topp myth. He's meant to be this great player, who scores lots of goals but I must be playing him wrong ever since he netted an 11 minute hatrick in his first match, which was a pre season game, he's done not much else. He's played in about 6 or 7 games and not scored. He's had plenty of one-on-ones and not scored. :confused:

How is everyone using him? Fortunately Craddock is scoring a few for me which helps.

Advanced forward with plenty of creativity

Advanced forward with plenty of creativity

Well all advice was taken into account and he netted an awesome hatrick in the next game. He's been a little hit and miss and both Topp and Craddock have had little barron spells. Topp has 5 goals in 7 games but that was 3 in one and 2 in another. Craddock has 6 in 7 again one of those was a hatrick. Still not a bad partnership forming. However......

I was humiliated by Kettering 2-0, scoreline flattered us. We were abysmal, Nicholls got his marching orders, loads were booked. Not the best ref but I decided to fine Nicholls a weeks wages as I wasn't happy with his performance and sending off. He's not happy now but I'm thinking about selling him in January because he seems overrated. I got into hot water with the FA for rightly criticising the ref, and they have the audacity to name him our referee in a game 3 days later. Unbelieveable. Fortunately I won the next game 5-1. That was 2 a piece for Craddock and Topp and a screamer from Gallen.

Oxford are 3 points ahead of us at present. Not good. :(

Archived