FM 2009 - VfL Wolfsburg: Die Wölfe

the--dud

VfL Wolfsburg, now here's a challenge for you! This decade (not counting the previous season) they have consistently finished between 8th and 15th in the German Bundesliga. For the 2007-08 season the club hired former Bayern Munich manager Felix Magath, with whom they managed to finish an astonishing 5th place at the end of the season and for the second time in the club's history, qualify for the UEFA cup. Can you match this, or indeed, do better?

City of Wolfsburg:

2d75uhk.jpg

The city of Wolfsburg is very young, since it was planned by the Nazis in order to build a town for the workers of the Volkswagen factories. It was founded in 1938 as Stadt des KdF-Wagens ("City of the KdF Car") around the village of Hesslingen in the District of Gifhorn. Kraft durch Freude (abbreviated KdF and meaning "strength through joy") was the German state-controlled leisure organization; one of its projects was the KdF-Wagen, which would later be known as the VW Beetle.

After World War II, in 1945, the city got its present name after the Wolfsburg castle located in the city, which was founded about 1300 on the bank of the Aller river. Today there is another castle at the place, which was built after 1600. In 1951, Wolfsburg was separated from the District of Gifhorn, and became an urban district. In November 2003, Wolfsburg was renamed Golfsburg for one week to celebrate the 5th generation of the Volkswagen Golf.

VfL Wolfsburg:

25u7443.jpg

Full name: VfL Wolfsburg-Fußball GmbH

Nickname(s): Die Wölfe (The Wolves)

Founded: 1945

Ground: Volkswagen Arena, Wolfsburg (Capacity: 30,000)

Chairman: Hans-Dieter Pötsch

Manager: Felix Magath

League: 2007/08 Bundesliga, 5th

VfL Wolfsburg is a German sports club based in Wolfsburg, Lower Saxony, that currently plays in the country's first division Bundesliga.

On September 12 1945, in the aftermath of World War II, a new club was formed and was known briefly as VSK Wolfsburg. This side began play in the green and white still worn by VfL today: local youth trainer Bernd Elberskirch had ten green jerseys at his disposal and white bed sheets donated by the public were sewn together by local women to make shorts.

VfL went on to the top flight on the strength of a second place league finish in 1997. Early predictions were that the club would immediately be sent back down, but instead, the Wolves developed into a mid-table Bundesliga side. Recently, there was little success for the club, with two 15th place finishes only narrowly avoiding relegation. For the 2007-08 season the club hired former Bayern Munich manager Felix Magath, with whom they managed to finish an astonishing 5th place at the end of the season and for the second time in the club's history, qualify for the UEFA cup.

Squad:

It's perhaps a case of having two amazingly sold Italian defenders (which I will discuss later), and some over-all decent Brazilians, Portuguese and Germans. The squad is very thin with only 18 players, but quite good quality.

Goalkeepers

GK - Diego Benaglio*^

GK - Christoph Klein

Defenders

DRC - Cristian Zaccardo*

DRC/DM/MC - Robert Werner

DC - Ricardo Costa

DC - Andrea Barzagli

DC - Serdar Breu

DL - Kevin Maier

Midfielders

DMC/MC - Josué*

DMC/MRLC - Patrick Seitz

DMC/MC - Elias Hornig

DMC/MC - Tobias Berger

MLC - Maik Haufe

AMRLC/FC - Sebastian Schaaf

AMR/ST - Niklas Ullrich

Forwards

ST - Grafite*

FC - Elias Wagner

ST - Ronald Walzlein

The players marked with ^ are promising and capable youngster, the ones with * are important and established players. In my opinion of course...

Players out: (Most important transfers, not complete)

DC - Facundo Quiroga (River Plate)

DC - Peter van der Heyden (Mainz 05)

MC - Cedric Makiadi (MSV Duisburg)

ST - Danijel Ljuboja (VfB Stuttgart)

Wolfsburg has been able to bring in some amazing Italian defenders, and this was the reason why I picked to do a thread on them in the first place. Zaccardo is absolutely brilliant and solid as a rock. Barzagli does not really need an introduction, as he was one of the best defenders in FM08, and has similar stats this year.

State of Affairs

As mentioned earlier the two Italian defenders really stands miles above the rest of the team. As for depth, they don't have any. Their midfield is quite average, perhaps with the captain Josué sticking out as quality. They don't really have any prolific strikers, but Grafite is OK but should not be your best striker. I would probably choose to play quite a defensive 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 if you can sign another quality striker. You're always going to be fighting an uphill battle here so I think you have to be clever with signings and tactics.

Realistically you want to aim for mid-table, if ambitious you can go for Continental. Compare your squad to Bayern/Shalke/Stuttgart and be realistic. However, the Bundesliga is a lot more even than say the Premier League.

Best Established Player

11id3le.jpg

Andrea Barzagli - CB

Andrea Barzagli born May 8, 1981 in Fiesole, is an Italian World Cup-winning footballer, who plays for VfL Wolfsburg and the Italian national football team.

Barzagli was deployed six times under the UEFA EURO 2008 qualifying matches and appeared in the crucial 2-1 victory over Scotland. He was recalled to Italy's UEFA Euro 2008 squad and partnered Materazzi in the heavy 0-3 defeat against The Netherlands after Italian skipper Fabio Cannavaro on June 2 suffered an injury in training.

In 2008 Barzagli choose to join VfL Wolfsburg and the Bundesliga following fellow Italian and team-mate Cristian Zaccardo.

We all know what an absolute legend this player was on FM08, and he is still pretty good on FM09. He is very solid and a classic Centre Back which wont let you down too often.

Best Young Player

mbllix.jpg

Diego Benaglio - GK

Diego Benaglio (born 8 September 1983) is a Swiss footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for VfL Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. Benaglio started his career with his Grasshoppers Zürich and played there for several seasons before moving to Germany to join VfB Stuttgart. After a brief period there, he joined C.D. Nacional where he eventually became first choice On 22 January 2008 he signed for VfL Wolfsburg.

Benaglio is a member of the Swiss national team and was called up to the squad for the 2006 World Cup. During this competition he was third choice goalkeeper behind Pascal Zuberbühler and Fabio Coltorti. With consistently good performances in 2008, he was promoted to first choice goalkeeper for Euro 2008 in his home country.

To be honest I struggled to find a young player in this team, as most players are quite old. This keeper Benaglio isn't really young at 25 years old, but for a keeper he can be considered young. He looks really promising and quite solid for his age. One to keep an eye on I think!

Misc...::

I'm at work, so I can't guarantee ALL information to be 100% accurate, but I will proof-read everything as soon as I can.

As always, any comments/corrections/feedback more than welcome, don't hesitate to get involved!

Ah cheers jams1234, I changed the image to the correct one on St. Etienne now... That's what you get for using the previous post as template for the next one I guess haha :o

Cheers for all the compliments, keeps me going ;)

purefun, yeah I've handed in my notice to start another job... Just sitting at work doing no work at all :p What did you mean by boring? My threads or Wolfsburg itself?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I cant believe this thread is so empty Wolfsburg are an awesome team, IRL they have just won their first bundesliga, which is more or less impossible to do in game. :(

But none the less they are a fun team to play as, the expectations are low and the squad is good enough for top 4 finish. Ive just started a new game as Wolfsburg.

Key Players(don't sell):-

Josue

Dzeko

Grafite(top goalscorer)

Barzagli

Zaccardo

Benaglio

Outs(Note as with any club changing the squad around too much is a recipe for disaster):-

Dejagah - Liverpool £5M

Jan Simunek - Everton - £4.5M (Board Accepted)

Johhnathan Santana - £1.7M

Ricardo Costa - £2.6M

Makoto Hasebe - £2M

Ins:-

De La Red - £2.1M(Great Player)

Hedwiges Maduro - £1.5M(Bought for centre back, but 10 for jumping and marking :thdn:

Mehmet Ekici - Loan

After 22 games im sitting 4th in the league, my long term goal is to be the german Barcelona/Man U.

Im going to start a new one, my first with Wolfsburg, is Dzeko on there, or do you need to load the leagues, because on my arsenal save, he isnt there. think ill try and get Eboue in but depends what squad looks like, will take ages to load up :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My save is going well

Got Eboue, Helguera, Lewandwoski, Trecarichi.

My sale is Hasebe so Ive got basically no budget left.

November, 5th in league.

Got the most impossible UEFA Cup group, AC Milan, PSG, Deportivo and Pompey. Won 2-0 vs PSG so far. Still in German cup.

Its on an update so Dzeko is very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Screw it I will post.

I started a save on an update meaning Dzeko and Grafite have been improved and all transfers IRl are done. I bought Vicente and Ouwo Moussa Maazou in for a combined £12m. Only sold Ricardo Costa for £5.5m and a couple of loans.

Wolfsburg have a large budget on this save (~£40m). I'm 1st in the league after 5 games with 4 wins and a draw. Even though Dzeko has been improved he hasnt scored and Vicente and Josue are my joint top goalscorers on 2, with Martins, Grafite and Kahlenberg each having scored one. Will update in February.

:)

I started one up, last game I start until 2010 comes out. I think back and I had the most success playing as Dortmund in FM2006. So I thought I would try the Bundesliga again.

Before the season even started, I have to say I have never seen so many players become unhappy so fast. Jeez, one team comes inquiring and they become extremely unhappy. Been a challenge dealing with unhappy players and them losing faith in me. I finished the first season, came in 2nd place, only 2 pts from winning it.

Brought in:

Lavezzi - excelled scored 17g and 10a

Ochirossi

Zuculini

Lambo

Inzaghi

Opare

Polenz

Joaquin

all for $7.25 million

Sold:

Graphite 9.25 million

Second Season started, Chelsea come asking about Benaglio and now he is unhappy. Florentina asked about Zaccardo and now unhappy. I offered both 90k a week in wages and both turned it down lol.

Brought in:

Criscito

Vennegor of Hesselink (doing very good so far as my sub) Dzeko is really blossoming this year.

Kadlec

Borges

Goossens

various other regens

14 million

Sold

Lambo

Munteanu

Schafer

Radu

12 million

I think I have a really good squad now, unfortunately Benaglio is unhappy. The guy is a really solid GK, one of the best I've had in a game. Only Buffon has been better for me. I guess if he demands a transfer I will go for Ochoa or the young Russian from CSKA Moscow, can't remember his name right now.

• 1 month later...

Going to start a new game as Wolfsburg on Sortitoutsi's updated database. They seem like a good challenge for the first few seasons to try and dominate domestically, then Europe. Few promising players to try and develop as well!

Archived