Goalkeeper not listening to Player instructions in tactics

I have an annoying problem which is affecting the results in my games. In order to retain possession and not give away chances to the opposition I have specifically set my goalkeeper instructions on my tactics to the below:

Distribution type:

Roll it out

Distribution Speed:

Distribute Quickly

Passing Directness:

Shorter Passing

Passing Risks:

Fewer Risky Passes

Distribute to Area:

To Full Backs

Distribute to Player:

None

Despite these instructions my goalkeeper insists now and again to punt the ball aimlessly up the field and this has resulted in the opposition winning possession and going straight up my end and scoring. This is very frustrating as the instructions are clearly marked as 'throw the ball' using 'shorter passing' and to the 'full backs'. Am I doing something wrong here or is this a bug? This has cost me 2 results recently.

A lot of the time when your keeper receives the ball, opposition players will still be in advanced positions. Attackers will be around the box, wingers will still be high.

So if you tell your keeper to distribute it quickly to your fullbacks, your fullbacks need to be unmarked and available to receive the ball - which they won't be if opposition wingers are still lurking.

With that avenue cut off, he is still looking to get rid of the ball quickly. Passing it short (as you instruct him to) may not be an option for similar reasons - opposition strikers and attacking midfielders are still about marking your defenders.

If all those options are unavailable, and because you want the keeper to distribute the ball quickly, he'll simply boot it upfield.

Thanks guys, I think it must be related to mental attributes as this never used to happen when playing as Man Utd with De Gea for example. I am currently playing as FC United in the Vanarama North League. My Goalkeeper's composure is 10/20, decisions 8/20, Vision 9/20.

His vision rating of 9 must be more like 0 because I just watched the highlight again and both my fullbacks are free in space with no attacker near them. So whilst your theory would make sense herne79 it doesn't seem to apply here. I guess I will try to remove the quick distribution option and see what happens.

Thanks guys, I think it must be related to mental attributes as this never used to happen when playing as Man Utd with De Gea for example. I am currently playing as FC United in the Vanarama North League. My Goalkeeper's composure is 10/20, decisions 8/20, Vision 9/20.

His vision rating of 9 must be more like 0 because I just watched the highlight again and both my fullbacks are free in space with no attacker near them. So whilst your theory would make sense herne79 it doesn't seem to apply here. I guess I will try to remove the quick distribution option and see what happens.

You have also shortened the passing range meaning those unmarked fullbacks might not be inside the passing range you have instructed the GK to use, result is he can't follow your instructions.

Losing the fewer riskier passes might also help if he sees the pass to a fullback as a higher risk than you have instructed but for this is more trial & error to see what works.

Yeah composure looks like an issue. What is the players personality? If they have a poor Pressure attribute (hidden) that could make him nervous in high pressure situations. I'm not 100% on the mechanics but if a player is nervous I would imagine its harder to remain composed so would need a very high stat to counter that mental pressure

Yeah composure looks like an issue. What is the players personality? If they have a poor Pressure attribute (hidden) that could make him nervous in high pressure situations. I'm not 100% on the mechanics but if a player is nervous I would imagine its harder to remain composed so would need a very high stat to counter that mental pressure

Hidden attributes are:

Consistency 12

Dirtiness 2

Imp. Matches 7

Injury Proneness 3

Versatility 5

Archived