Reasons for conceding extreme amounts of early goals

What would be the reasons for my team conceding the vast majority of goals up to the 10th minute of a match? My team does not play overly offensively from the outset, as the mentality is set to Control. There's around 3 Attack duties in the team, but since the goals are all different, I wonder- could this be something about the players' mental conditioning, and not tactics? The overall team personality is Determined.

Control is really offensive btw it's only a small step down from attacking, so it's extremely attack focused. Without you giving specifics and providing a lot more detail and showing examples then no-one will be able to help as it could be a million and one different reasons as to why it happens. The types of goals you concede doesn't matter but the areas you concede them through do. Also watch what your players are doing in the build up to the shot that the opposition score from as this will tell you why. Most people focus on the shot that ends up being a goal but it's what happens in the build up to that shot that gives you all the answers and not the shot itself.

Control is really offensive btw it's only a small step down from attacking, so it's extremely attack focused. Without you giving specifics and providing a lot more detail and showing examples then no-one will be able to help as it could be a million and one different reasons as to why it happens. The types of goals you concede doesn't matter but the areas you concede them through do. Also watch what your players are doing in the build up to the shot that the opposition score from as this will tell you why. Most people focus on the shot that ends up being a goal but it's what happens in the build up to that shot that gives you all the answers and not the shot itself.

One thing I noticed is that my defenders make few blocks and last ditch tackles once the opposition get in close to the goal, especially early on. I do not have ˝Stay on Feet˝ as active. And my pressing is, when I use the Control setting, set to at least ˝Sometimes˝, if not higher. The common thing is: the goals happen early, and the match goes into a state where I must try and quickly fix things, or more goals will follow, or the opposition might simply stop my attempts to score by starting to play on the defense. It's as if the players are shocked. I honestly am unsure if it's tactics here, that matter. Once the first 10 minutes pass, I am much less likely to concede. Is this a Team Talk issue, maybe?

I doubt it's a team talk issue as you said it happens all the time, even if your team talk was at fault the impact wouldn't be this large and be this consistent. I'd say it is tactical and you need to do what I said above, focus on what happens in the build up to the shot that becomes a goal.

How do you know more goals will follow if you don't fix things quickly, how can you be so sure? Also if you are sure, then surely this means you are always going into games with the wrong tactical game plan? To me it seems like you are starting games in the wrong manner time and time again. Its hard to help though when you've gave no real details to be helped with. You need to follow something like set out here for further more accurate help;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

I doubt it's a team talk issue as you said it happens all the time, even if your team talk was at fault the impact wouldn't be this large and be this consistent. I'd say it is tactical and you need to do what I said above, focus on what happens in the build up to the shot that becomes a goal.

How do you know more goals will follow if you don't fix things quickly, how can you be so sure? Also if you are sure, then surely this means you are always going into games with the wrong tactical game plan? To me it seems like you are starting games in the wrong manner time and time again. Its hard to help though when you've gave no real details to be helped with. You need to follow something like set out here for further more accurate help;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

It doesn't happen in every game. But it happens often enough to be noticeable. I have lost 6 domestic games, which considering I should walk the league, is a lot. There has been a lot of draws as well. I won still, but there were some definite drops in form. But, I'll give the formation. No screenie, as I'm on my work PC.

--------------------GK(D)

WB(A)----CD(D)----------BPD(D)------FB(S)

---------------------DM(D)

--------BBM/BWM(S)-----DLP(S)

---IF(S)---------------------------------W(A)

------------------CF(S)/AF(A)

The tactic might be mirrored as well, with the left defender being a wing back, the left AM being an AP (S), and then the FB and W pairing is on the right. Starting Mentality is Control. Structured Shape. I use ˝Be More Disciplined˝, Lower tempo, Short or Mixed Passing, and ˝Play Out of Defense˝ team instructions. The DM has reduced closing down. I understand there's a lot of tinkering visible, but I have a heterogenous squad, with many different types of players. I finished only the 1. season.

None of that still helps with your actual issue though :)

When you said 'extreme amount of early goals' I assumed it happened almost all the time as that's what extreme means. But now you're saying its not extreme but enough to be noticed. So how many exactly are we talking here? It helps us help you if we know facts rather than you saying something but mean something else. It gets a bit confusing as we only have what you say to help you with. So for the sake of clarity, how many exactly are we talking and in how many games? You can find this info in the game and provide a screenshot please when you're next on the game.

Also in those games how many of them had you 2-0 down or more before the 10th minute?

I still think it comes back to how you've been approaching the games from the off though. But the above screenshot of the times your goals are conceded will shed a lot more light on things though in order for us, to be able to help :)

I know the goals you concede are different but are they happening in the same areas? Is it the same players (your own) being caught out? Or is it different? What's happening in the build up to these goals, how are your players positioned? Are they were they should be? Are they too high? Too many players to pick up? etc all questions you should be looking at when trying to pinpoint the reasons why on the pitch.

None of that still helps with your actual issue though :)

When you said 'extreme amount of early goals' I assumed it happened almost all the time as that's what extreme means. But now you're saying its not extreme but enough to be noticed. So how many exactly are we talking here? It helps us help you if we know facts rather than you saying something but mean something else. It gets a bit confusing as we only have what you say to help you with. So for the sake of clarity, how many exactly are we talking and in how many games? You can find this info in the game and provide a screenshot please when you're next on the game.

Also in those games how many of them had you 2-0 down or more before the 10th minute?

I still think it comes back to how you've been approaching the games from the off though. But the above screenshot of the times your goals are conceded will shed a lot more light on things though in order for us, to be able to help :)

I know the goals you concede are different but are they happening in the same areas? Is it the same players (your own) being caught out? Or is it different? What's happening in the build up to these goals, how are your players positioned? Are they were they should be? Are they too high? Too many players to pick up? etc all questions you should be looking at when trying to pinpoint the reasons why on the pitch.

Sorry for not being clear enough. Most of the total goals I conceded conceded happened before the 10th minute of the game. Sometimes, it's a trigger for a mental collapse of the team. Please note that the players who do score should be vastly inferior to my own, as I'm the top team in the division. In Europe, I do not concede so much goals in the early period, even if the Mentality stays Control for some games. The players generally seem much more focused.

You're set up to probe and break down teams that sit back and defend, then lump the ball and let you do it all over again. It should work quote. well as your team is superior to most.

Let me guess, a lot of the goals conceded start from very slow build up from midfield, where your defenders watch as the opposition pass it around patiently, or from a seemingly harmless throw in...

A lot of teams who play defensively will also play conservatively, holding on to the ball, taking few risks, but taking advantage of any space you give them, especially in the middle of the pitch. Feel r example, a lot of smaller Italian teams will do it, and it's very frustrating to play against, as they invite you to commit mistakes, lose shape, and fall into the same trap gung-ho attacking sides fall into when facing an organized counteracting set up.

My advice would be to start more aggressive and direct, pushing your line further up, increase closing down, and throw the gauntlet from the opening whistle. These sides get rattled if facing aggressive sides as they depend on being highly organized and gradually exploiting space.

Another possibility could be that you're facing a limited but direct opponent. Think Sam Allerdyce ''s Bolton a few years back, or Pulis' 's Stoke facing Wenger's Arsenal and their pretty triangles. A patient, probing approach is very vulnerable to a Rory Delap long throw or Kevin Nolan knockdown, especially when facing overly patient (naive) sides thinking they're entitled to win by playing nicely.

When viewing the highlights, it's especially frustrating because it's hard to clearly see the opposition's build up. it can sometimes simply be a throw in or another set piece, long ball, or a simple passing sequence throw the middle.

Sometimes, as a technically superior side, you need to make your presence known from the beginning of the match, by playing more attacking, closing down high up the pitch, and not allowing the opposition the opportunity to have the ball in your zone.

You're set up to probe and break down teams that sit back and defend, then lump the ball and let you do it all over again. It should work quote. well as your team is superior to most.

Let me guess, a lot of the goals conceded start from very slow build up from midfield, where your defenders watch as the opposition pass it around patiently, or from a seemingly harmless throw in...

A lot of teams who play defensively will also play conservatively, holding on to the ball, taking few risks, but taking advantage of any space you give them, especially in the middle of the pitch. Feel r example, a lot of smaller Italian teams will do it, and it's very frustrating to play against, as they invite you to commit mistakes, lose shape, and fall into the same trap gung-ho attacking sides fall into when facing an organized counteracting set up.

My advice would be to start more aggressive and direct, pushing your line further up, increase closing down, and throw the gauntlet from the opening whistle. These sides get rattled if facing aggressive sides as they depend on being highly organized and gradually exploiting space.

Another possibility could be that you're facing a limited but direct opponent. Think Sam Allerdyce ''s Bolton a few years back, or Pulis' 's Stoke facing Wenger's Arsenal and their pretty triangles. A patient, probing approach is very vulnerable to a Rory Delap long throw or Kevin Nolan knockdown, especially when facing overly patient (naive) sides thinking they're entitled to win by playing nicely.

When viewing the highlights, it's especially frustrating because it's hard to clearly see the opposition's build up. it can sometimes simply be a throw in or another set piece, long ball, or a simple passing sequence throw the middle.

Sometimes, as a technically superior side, you need to make your presence known from the beginning of the match, by playing more attacking, closing down high up the pitch, and not allowing the opposition the opportunity to have the ball in your zone.

It's more like the first type, but sometimes it's a result of an improperly cleared throw-in or corner, or even a cross that is launched early, leaving a player 1 on 1 as my defense watches, not doing what they should. Most worrying issue is that my defenders do not tackle with urgency, in the first 10 minutes. I can tell the difference when I attack the opposition, in turn. Blocks are common, as are tackles on those who dwell long on the ball. To put it simple: the opposition put up a fight, and want to not concede so badly. They fight to protect their goal.

Archived