The Portuguese Primeira Liga

hi guys. I have recently started a new game in Portugal and so far I have been enjoying it. however, I have a couple of questions regarding the set-up.

1. why are there so many players out on loan and equally dozens in on loan?? it just doesn't seem to make sense to loan out perfectly decent players only to bring in equally good players in the same position! its not as though all of them are on loan to progress their development either.

2. why are so many clubs affiliated in the same division? Porto have 6 and not all of them are small clubs either (Braga, Rio Ave, etc.). surely this is unfair when it comes to the title race and domestic transfers, blurring the lines totally between clubs. just think of if this was the case in England!

anyway thanks in advance.

1. why are there so many players out on loan and equally dozens in on loan?? it just doesn't seem to make sense to loan out perfectly decent players only to bring in equally good players in the same position! its not as though all of them are on loan to progress their development either.
The portuguese big 3 (Benfica, Porto, Sporting) buy many young players. They don't have room for them in their squads so they loan them out to smaller clubs. Take a look at italian clubs, it's the same thing or even worse.
2. why are so many clubs affiliated in the same division? Porto have 6 and not all of them are small clubs either (Braga, Rio Ave, etc.). surely this is unfair when it comes to the title race and domestic transfers, blurring the lines totally between clubs. just think of if this was the case in England!
For the same reason. Small clubs have money problems and they rely on loanees from the big 3. Porto usually buys players from Bra and Rio Ave and pays them a fee that often also includes other player's on loan or on a definitive transfer.

I have been playing an FM15 save in the Portuguese National Championship (3rd tier) for a while. I'm in my fourth season, but only recently had a look at the list of Portuguese clubs by finances. I have to say I was a bit surprised. Those top three teams (Porto, Benfica, and Sporting) are basically in a league of their own, they're so far removed from the rest.

Looking at those listings also makes me wonder about the economic model. My little 3rd tier club is listed 9th for average ticket price and average season ticket price. I wish there was an option to ask my board to lower those, so we can get some higher stadium fill ratios.

The portuguese big 3 (Benfica, Porto, Sporting) buy many young players. They don't have room for them in their squads so they loan them out to smaller clubs. Take a look at italian clubs, it's the same thing or even worse.

For the same reason. Small clubs have money problems and they rely on loanees from the big 3. Porto usually buys players from Bra and Rio Ave and pays them a fee that often also includes other player's on loan or on a definitive transfer.

1. But why do it?? a lot that are on loan are not even 'young'!

2. Again, why would you loan all your young talent to rivals in the same division? surely a form of cheating?

1. But why do it?? a lot that are on loan are not even 'young'!

2. Again, why would you loan all your young talent to rivals in the same division? surely a form of cheating?

Because Portuguese football is fundamentally broken with the big 3 having all the money and power. Which is why there are only two seasons in the entire history of Portuguese football where the 3 haven't won the title. The rest of the league might as well be playing a different sport.

Anyway, this is not FM's problem, it is just reflecting reality.

Archived