Deep lying forward

A deep-lying forward will stay drop deep into space with the intention of linking the play and supporting teammates. A defensive forward will press and close down defenders and allow them as little time on the ball as possible

DLF - Think Teddy Sheringham

DF - Think Kevin Davies

Kevin Davies was more of a (poor) target man really in my opinion. I'm struggling to think of a real life example of a defensive forward though, Aguero closes down a lot but to suggest that is his primary role is obviously not true...

Kevin Davies was more of a (poor) target man really in my opinion. I'm struggling to think of a real life example of a defensive forward though, Aguero closes down a lot but to suggest that is his primary role is obviously not true...

Mario Mandžukić is the best example of a modern era defensive forward.

A DLF is a creator first, then a scorer secondary. That doesn't mean he can't score lots of goals it just means he's quite creative and drops deep to find space and plays others in before joining them in attacks. He will also take the initiative to start attacks if he has no supporting options.

A DF is a workhorse who puts pressure on the centrebacks and fullbacks looking to force them into mistakes high up the pitch and win possession back.

Archived