FM16: Rotherham United Football Club

SpillBlood

Rotherham United Football Club

Rotherham-united.jpg

Club Information

Founded in 1884, Rotherham United are a football club based in South Yorkshire who play in the Sky Bet Championship. The clubs nickname is The Millers. The current Chairman is the great Tony Stewart who without his support Rotherham could of ceased to of been a club due to financial trouble. They currently play at the New York Stadium which was opened in July 2012 and has the capacity of 12,021. The Stadium cost £20 million to build. The Stadium is set up as this;

North Stand - known as the KCM Recycling Stand for sponsorship reasons, and often referred to as the New Tivoli, is the kop stand of the stadium. The KCM Recycling Stand holds 2000 home fans, and has the lettering of the club's initials—RUFC—in white across it. The stand sits behind one of the goals, opposite the away end.

West Stand - known as the Eric Twigg Pukka Pies Stand for sponsorship reasons, is the main stand of the stadium. It features the executive 1925 Lounge, and also the stand where the players walk under when entering the field of play. It holds 4000 home fans.

East Stand - East Stand, known as the Ben Bennett Stand, is the family stand of the stadium. It holds 4000 home fans, as well as two built-in balcony-type structures for disabled people.

South Stand- South Stand, known as the Morrison Stand, is a 2000 seated away stand. It sits behind a goal, with the family stand to the right, main stand to the left, and the kop directly opposite.

Fibresand-pitch-at-Rotherham-United.jpg

a1be09e90f55e0487c73ab303cff2ee7.png

10ee956da57acf96846b1e78d96280da.png

Media Prediction - 21st

Goal - Avoid Relegation

24c707b040b93ffd78e19a09074caf4d.png

The Staff

91569458266a4417f0c57803994a83c8.png

Currently a small amount of staff, without an assistant manager and obviously the manager would be you. Could you bring glory to a club that has never played in the top tier?

Now for the Football Manager side of things

Before you start even looking into your squad the first thing you need to do it ask the board for a parent club. This way you can bring in quality with no expense. In my save I have Manchester United as my parent club and was able to bring in Jesse Lingard and Andreas Pereria to play for us. Imagine that quality in a side that is supposed to only avoid relegation! Also Grant Ward and Farrend Rawsons loans should be extended until the end of the season. They're worth it.

You may ask why Rotherham? Why would I want to play a struggling side that Steve Evans made some awful signings for and have no hope? Because this is Football Manager and the side that lacks passion in real life actually has quality on FM. So let's see this squad!

The Goalkeepers

dc2e8635cc11d24c5d310671c342257a.png

First Choice: Lee Camp

Back up: Adam Collin

Rating: 4/5

My opinion: Coming from previous seasons and having to experience Kelle Roos as #1 for a few games at the start of the season. Having Lee Camp as our #1 Goalkeeper is nothing short of amazing. He'll do the job absolutely fine and any resources shouldn't need to be put into finding a new GK. Adam Collin though prone to mistakes still saved the penalty to get Rotherham to the Championship and deserves to play as backup.

Transfer Targets:None

The Defense

a1823794c69a759903b2a965a4f234f7.png

First Choice: Buxton - Thorpe - Collins - Mattock

Back up: Rawson - Broadfoot - Wood - White

Rating: 3/5

My opinion:There are some good players in this defense. Buxton will be solid at RB and Rawson can challenge easy at the RB spot(yep - even though a CB for us he's a RB on FM). Thorpe is your best CB and I'd urge you to play him at the right side of your CB pairing. Mattock can easily do a job in a team avoiding relegation. Ship Wood out he can fetch over 200k and there are better free players out there. If you can do the same for Broadfoot. I don't see White being strong enough to cover the LB spot and there's a number of free players to fill that slot in. If you don't want to purchase anyone Richardson could always cover RB and Buxton can be backup for LB but he's much better on the right

Transfer Targets: CB: Sonni Nattestad - a Faroe Island international who will sit on the left side of the CB pairing next to Thorpe. You'll need to have a Large DB and international players loaded from Euorpe(iirc) to get him to show up. LB: Stephen Crainey, Nacho, Marek Cech, George McCartney. The LB slot isn't a problem to get a player in.

The Midfield

3780b4676c8fa3458710bfd72983e60b.png

First Choice: Depending on where you play them. MC: Smallwood. ML: G. Ward. MR: Maguire. AML: D. Ward. AMC: Ledesma. AMR: Maguire

Back up: MC: Frecklington. ML: D. Ward MR. G. Ward AML. Ledesma. AMC: Frecklington. AMR: Bowery.

Rating: 3/5

My opinion: Wait where's Andreu? Personally with a parent club accepted and looking at the loan market I'd sell Andreu back. Not that he's a bad player but he's on 9K P/W and he isn't worth the wage. You do have quite a good midfield that you can tinker about with. Players are natural in multiple positions which helps alot.

Transfer TargetsCheck your parent club and it should fill in any gaps you need.

The Strikers

54decafa33f19047295e14aaaf8df508.png

First Choice: Derbyshire

Back up: Bowery

Rating: 2/5

My opinion: Here is where the club lacks quality. A new striker is top of the priority list. Matt Derbyshire can do a job and he suprised me alot but it's FM not real life. Bowery isn't bad by all means but Clarke-Harris isn't up there. Ward and Ledesma really can't play there. Maguire is a good fit incase you don't want to sign anyone but here's where any money needs to be spent.

Transfer Targets:Del Piero

This is Matt Derbyshires first season return

a17d4102337174f55ebb5e0bb2a92e86.png

And he scored this goal

[video=youtube;hamHqBo7vYg]

Overall

Key Players: Tom Thorpe and Chris Maguire

Overall rating: 3/5

These are the tactics I use. They have work for you, they may not. They're attempts at building my FM15 tactics which worked on my Rotherham save then. There won't be any explanation to them, I'll leave that to you but it'll give you an idea of how to get the team working.

Tactic One

d60bcc2fcf2e88fce32e9b09bd8572e7.png

72bf41980e5ca7231912b4ce7083f88c.png

Tactic Two

99b2e9d2104750f07cbb1028b311fbec.png

1ed9ce1e4d34d825aeb29f7d86a51814.png

Tactic Three

4a7f667be75ed5f60f85776ab0cec2c4.png

f9c6aa43769da81b2e1988fa7f99f639.png

Note: These tactics change all the time and they will never be plug and play. They're just ideas.

Nice Guide :) I might take up the challenge, couple of questions, How was Halford for you? He was a really good RB when I managed Forest a couple of seasons ago and always got a few goals, also did you play Derbyshire as a poacher?

Mainly as a poacher and sometimes as a DLF-A. I actually didn't play Halford unless I had injury problems. Buxton and Rawson are ahead of him in the pecking order and he's not the best CB either around. He did start upfront for me when I had injurys though :D.

After one mental season where I insanely overachieved I managed to get into the Prem in my first season. I've not sold many at all, I've let deadwood go and brought in cheap players/frees.

First the cup final win! I was 3 - 1 down before Maguire got sent off it so I changed tactics and it changed the game for me. Tom Thorpe saved me with the last touch of the game. I wish I was streaming it I went that mental.

4df272c333301e8373426fbb88a04805.png

This is how the league ended up and my player stats.

65b836ee2d8902e29640f4e2f1c784ff.png

9bf3d1c24d42bf6964803fdc957030be.png

We just got results. I wouldn't say we overall played well. Finnur Orri Margeirsson was potentially the worst signing I've ever made on a FM, he was absolutely useless. Helder Postiga was pretty terrible. Debut goal, two nice assists in places but 13 games, 1 goal and never seemed in it.

Season One Transfers:

5c7eca93beeeaa08c0d953e76d908797.png

Season Two Transfers:

377c66e35c4c91e6e0c0c37fc7d63a2d.png

I've had to spend a little but nothing much. Really happy with the captures of Dan Burn and Yaser Kasim. Guiterriz was a must when I saw him on a free as he's a cool fella and the loan captures of Morrison, Medran and Aketxe should help alot.

Current Squad:

1c40fc3db05c9b9ae56d329229747ab2.png

This is after 5 games(one was a cup game). Loss to Tottenham, loss to Crystal palace, draw to Leicester and a win over Derby. Cup was a victory over Coventry.

If you're wondering about Buxtons Avg Rating. Well he got a 4.6 against Palace for giving a penalty away and well, doing this.

[video=youtube_share;zk4Iw1Cd0yM]

See where I go from here and hopefully stay up!

Well I've hit January and here's the table.

b45f14b0e41e41ddad246a568fbbbfc0.png

We need some fresh blood, especially the fullbacks so I asked for some money in hope and they came back with this!

30206f546a2d5dc59d8ed8f834d9326f.png

I do have one player keeping me with it though, both from AMR and ST positions. 2nd top scorer in league behind Borini.

d8997e25488c2e18b39150ea978597c4.png

Hoping it'll get some needed points. Getting rid of some deadwood also before they expire in 6 months. They're some good players transfer listed but it's whether they're worth the wage they'll want. Trying to bring in Yacob 'cus if he accepts(people have offered contract as his expires in 6 months) I'll triple my money through min. fee as no doubt it'll be activated then. Wish me luck!

I stayed up! I had some awful results but the wins and not draw kept me up. Swansea beating me 4 - 0 and doing the double over me. Aston Villa doing the double over me were the low points. High point was the run in January ending in beating Liverpool 2 - 1 but it went downhill after that :(.

ee9d777a4bc187240e0a875558824f87.png

Will post more tomorrow inc transfers I hope. Depends on Blizzcon.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 3 is over!

I've spent alot of time on this season holding down a tactic to buy players for and getting it to work and it seems that it did! Best result? FA cup quarter final beating Arsenal on penalties, beating rivals Chesterfield in the Semi-Final(just) and then beating Chelsea on pens in the final! I got a tad excited when Ramires missed and Albrighton put it away. Chelsea were the better side until Mario Pasalic got sent off for a dirty tackle(if he did it in real life it'd be more then a 2/3 game ban, put it that way) and we missed 2 CCC's before the end of the first half. We held on and managed to win, the team has a quality spirit.

2fe533749618baaff333698cb099b2f1.png

Last few games cost us (We'd of potentially finished 4th). Man Utd and Liverpool massively underachieved this season especially compared to there squads. I think Liverpool have some problems, Sakho, Countinho and Firmino are all listed. Sakho is on my radar as he's going to cost only 3.8mil.

My transfers to follow from my previous post:

adc0db92609eed3d37f533387ea5c9c3.png

I still had 20 million to spend at the end, all paid upfront. I maybe overpaid for Clough but he's very good at what he does. Dorrans I was happy about but he got injured after 2 games for 7 months so Albrighton was brought in to replace him. I'll be probably making a few changes already. I'm bringing Guardado and Mats Daehll in on frees(went for in January) and selling Vydra and McNair. Me and Vydra, we ain't friends put it that way.

f6067dd6404d427f34eafbc6cde7b403.png

The end of season squad. I won't be able to keep Vrsaljko which is a shame because he's absolutely quality, only way to put it.

And last but not least the tactic! I shall keep playing this and hopefully bringing in players it suits. I need a new GK/LB/RW and two STs. I'll be replacing Colback, Christie, Bakayoko(maybe) and Olsson. Maybe some more squad depth might help. It was noted that I'd used the least amount of players in the league at 25.

da4d42ec59e712e88c3046f76ac5bec7.png

Season 4 Upgrade

So, I've done my transfers already.

215b7f51adc90ffdb95d4350318043f8.png

The second the transfer window opened teams were all over Vrsaljko so sadly I couldn't keep. I brought in Chambers to replace and Cotungo as his backup. Really happy with some of my signings. Basically replace Vorm with Hart, Bakayoko with Samaris, Colback with Coquelin, Olsson with Sissoko, Bowery with Niang etc. Really happy with how the team looks, especially at Rotherham!

a78dfed655e6fcc18035e1149fd90b29.png

Typical day lineup, excited to get it on the go.

I've never heard of Azmoun before so I'm interested of how he's going to do. It'll be mainly him and Clough upfront rotating as I only use one. Viguera I had on loan on FM15 for Rotherham so I know if he's anything the same he'll be a decent backup.

86b9fbc080bc6fa8e9460c5d1d1f77dc.png

Nice to see you are doing well SpillBlood, Great achievement keeping them up, I have decided to take up the challenge and I will keep you posted.

Cool :). Thorpe, Maguire and Bowery will be your key players imo. I still use Thorpe and only reason I sold Bowery was because he only had a year left and there was no real point renewing.

If you need help with a tactic try the last one I've posted here in post #10. Can't see why that wouldn't work with the team we start with.

Cheers, I am in Pre Season played about 5 games, takes me ages as I watch full highlights and micro manage, started terribly in my 1st couple of pre season games but I think that was due to the tactic familiarity being so awful, but started winning games now, I am training one tactic, a structured 451 counter until it gets fluid, sent Richardson out on loan, did play Maguire as a winger or inside forward ? I am playing Ward AML winger (s) and Maguire AMR Winger (s) as that seems to be their natural role.

Cheers, I am in Pre Season played about 5 games, takes me ages as I watch full highlights and micro manage, started terribly in my 1st couple of pre season games but I think that was due to the tactic familiarity being so awful, but started winning games now, I am training one tactic, a structured 451 counter until it gets fluid, sent Richardson out on loan, did play Maguire as a winger or inside forward ? I am playing Ward AML winger (s) and Maguire AMR Winger (s) as that seems to be their natural role.

I've played Maguire as both. I tried DLP on the left side of midfield and found AP alot more useful. Try your wingers on attack duty and see if it helps. I'd recommend putting one of the two as an IF(a).

My pre season results have been really good as they get more familiar with the tactic, solid and counter attacking, my central midfield 3 are Smallwood holding DM (D), Frecklington/Andreu DLP(S) and Green BBM(S), my stand out performer so far in pre season has been Clarke- Harris he has scored 6 in 4 games as a DLF(A).

How do you get your screen shots on here ? Do you re-size them ?

Here is the link to my tactic http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/AZ90AZA/media/Tactics__zps0ubl4lgt.png.html

Finished Pre Season, It went really well, no injury's and everyone in excellent condition, they are getting more familiar with the tactic. I am quite impressed with the squad, it is really well balanced and considering the wage budget I am confident of beating the drop, the players suit 4-1-2-3 perfectly with everyone natural in the positions, a good mix of honest Pro's and talented youngsters, as you say Tom Thorpe looks a real Talent I've been playing him as a CD(cover) next to Danny Collins and he hasn't put a foot wrong, How does young Newell develop ? he looks promising and I have Paul Green tutoring him.

I asked for a parent club and got Manchester United; getting in Andreas Pereira and Jesse Lingard made Newell surplus really. He did well in pre-season for me, smashed an absolute blinder out but he doesn't have the quality Pereira does. I couldn't get Green to perform at all.

Did you attempt to sell Wood? I managed to get some good money for him (offered him and Broadfoot up but only Wood got interest) and with Collins and Thorpe at CB I didn't need Wood as I brought in a youngster named Sonni Nattestad.

My pre season results have been really good as they get more familiar with the tactic, solid and counter attacking, my central midfield 3 are Smallwood holding DM (D), Frecklington/Andreu DLP(S) and Green BBM(S), my stand out performer so far in pre season has been Clarke- Harris he has scored 6 in 4 games as a DLF(A).

How do you get your screen shots on here ? Do you re-size them ?

I use a program called Gyazo, really easy to set up and use. Clarke-Harris started alright for me but faded quite fast and Matt Derbyshire ended up a shining light. I bought in Helder Postiga but he was bloody awful.

Cheers Spill, I play with transfer budgets switched off as I like to see how the clubs do with their real life squads until January, so there won't be any activity until the Jan window, started the Season with 2 wins so my pre season form has continued :-

Home V MK Dons won 2-1 (Bowery 2)

Away V Doncaster League Cup won 3-1 (Green, Bowery, G Ward)

My tactic is working well, all my goals have been from quick breaks and remaining solid at the back, lost Maguire for 3 weeks injured.

Being re-organising my scouting system as well, signed some good scouts and got rid of Gee Evans, also brought in John Breckin as under 18 manager.

This is incredible SpillBlood! I am currently on my 3rd save. Being sacked just after xmas on both my others. I can't seem to get any of my players to perform at all.

My incomings were Del Piero (amazing) Jamar Loza on loan and Leon Best. The defence were so poor it beggars belief and for 4/5 star midfield they went walkabout. I simply could not get anything out of my players.

To see you achieving promotion with very few ins/outs is quite incredible and inspiring. I was clearly way off the mark

I generally played 442

Camp

LB Mattok (poor)

CB Thorpe

CB Wood

RB Buxton (poor)

ML D Ward/ S Hunt

CM Smallwood

CM Frecks

MR Maguire

SC Del Piero

SC Clarke Harris

You have inspired me to start again and take your advice on board, especially with the parent club.

Now i know it CAN be done and it's NOT impossible I'm going to try again

Thanks and please keep us posted!

This is incredible SpillBlood! I am currently on my 3rd save. Being sacked just after xmas on both my others. I can't seem to get any of my players to perform at all.

My incomings were Del Piero (amazing) Jamar Loza on loan and Leon Best. The defence were so poor it beggars belief and for 4/5 star midfield they went walkabout. I simply could not get anything out of my players.

To see you achieving promotion with very few ins/outs is quite incredible and inspiring. I was clearly way off the mark

I generally played 442

Camp

LB Mattok (poor)

CB Thorpe

CB Wood

RB Buxton (poor)

ML D Ward/ S Hunt

CM Smallwood

CM Frecks

MR Maguire

SC Del Piero

SC Clarke Harris

You have inspired me to start again and take your advice on board, especially with the parent club.

Now i know it CAN be done and it's NOT impossible I'm going to try again

Thanks and please keep us posted!

I've tried and believe me i've tried but I cannot get 4 - 4 - 2 to work. For some reason the team always perform better with three in midfield. That could be worth trying.

Congrats on Del Piero though! He wouldn't come to me :( he chose Portsmouth who gave him some silly wages.

Quick question SpillBlood - re staff, did you replace or add any coaches/scouts/physios in your save. I tend to do this but if it doesnt make much difference I won't bother!

If you did, any you recommend?

Iirc the only staff changes I made straight off the bat was getting rid of Gee Evans getting in some scouts that could.. scout. I can't remember name but check with any 13+ PA/CA should be fine for the start.

I can't remember what load up I had but I had over 100k players and within this I found the gem that was Sonni Nattestad to play at CB next to Thorpe. He'll improve the defense to no end and you can cash in for Wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 4 is over!

We overachieved that's all I can say. Man City has injuries and picked up form at the end of the season including beating me 3 - 1 but I managed to draw with Chelsea on the last day of the season(imo I should of won, Chelsea were chasing for the title and were bloody awful). I made a few changes in January. The striker I thought might be good was awful and has done awful since his move.

d04e5ca4a90a4f49ffce03c16dc363bb.png

Selling him for 21million and bringing in Saido Berahino was the best piece of business I've probably done on this FM. Berahino and Niang play so well together. Berahino scored 9 in 18 and you can see in the image below Niang was my top scorer in the league as Clough got injured. Guardado and Daehli were just too injury prone. I think Lingard played more games then both of those together which wasn't good.

a8c43e9014ea984d49c32a8e846fc222.png

Yep! We won the European cup. Moscow just didn't turn up on the final yet they destroyed Manchester United in the Semi-Final where I beat Liverpool. Liverpool didn't stand a chance with there awful formation - they couldn't press, counter, it was very defensive even though in the second leg they were behind on away goals(we drew 1 - 1 in the first leg).

My signings going into season 5!

e8ab9068ffb63157c826137ed8a9bfa7.png

Quite excited. I've never actually had Bernard before and I didn't plan to sell Cotugno but 23mil was too good to turn down so I replaced him with Dragovic to put Chambers back at RB where he has excelled. I got too much money for Insigne and Sisto, they were both very average but I'm really excited to play with Brandt, Lamela, Markovic and Bernard on my wings I think it will make a huge difference.

a390d8cb11ce4a0d8f7efda9316c946f.png

(I'd usually have Brandt on the RW but he's injured).

This is the tactic I usually play with though I do have an attacking formation I use also. My next game is against Porto in the super cup, who have such a good side it's no wonder they won the Champions League. They sold an amazing striker to Man Utd like it was nothing, I don't have alot of hope in this one.

I'll probably play the Porto game, update this and then take a small break from the Rotherham save to take a look at LLM, probably FC United.

Euro Super Cup!

56aeb24ed87a6be1c541059002d1e7b4.png

c7ebfe753d68a48a058c3eed84715898.png

I managed to not concede within the first 70 minutes and put my attacking formation on if you're wondering why so many defensive players on it's because I play this

64a1573163b4a49a16bcfdb72a9e3c06.png

Both teams defences playing well, not alot said for the attackers though. Clough missed a quality chance with 8 minutes in extra time to go and it's gone to penaltys!

315b899f24e2a787cb5bce117c5bf164.png

And I lost :(. Can't fault the effort but Niangs penalty was basically a pee-roll to the keeper :D.

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly, I ended up at Rotherham at the start of season 2, following their relegation, and had a few fires to put out!

Had to sell a few of the better players because they wanted to leave and wouldn't sign new contracts, so Lee Camp, Tom Thorpe, Kirk Broadfoot, Lewis Buxton and Richard Smallwood left for greener pastures.

That said, it left me with a bit of money to play with, and a strong enough squad core to regain promotion, though my main signings- Will Grigg and Lloyd Isgrove were both a little underwhelming.

Back in the Championship, and have made a reasonable start this season- Tried to spend what little money I had wisely, Federico Macheda, Alex Pearce and Jaime coming in, all previously transfer listed, and Anders Lindegaard, Hope Akpan and Brian Lenihan all on frees.

Not sure how long I'll stay here, this save I started unemployed and didn't want to get too attatched, but we'll see how the club treats me... or how I treat them, I suppose!

Interestingly, I ended up at Rotherham at the start of season 2, following their relegation, and had a few fires to put out!

Had to sell a few of the better players because they wanted to leave and wouldn't sign new contracts, so Lee Camp, Tom Thorpe, Kirk Broadfoot, Lewis Buxton and Richard Smallwood left for greener pastures.

That said, it left me with a bit of money to play with, and a strong enough squad core to regain promotion, though my main signings- Will Grigg and Lloyd Isgrove were both a little underwhelming.

Back in the Championship, and have made a reasonable start this season- Tried to spend what little money I had wisely, Federico Macheda, Alex Pearce and Jaime coming in, all previously transfer listed, and Anders Lindegaard, Hope Akpan and Brian Lenihan all on frees.

Not sure how long I'll stay here, this save I started unemployed and didn't want to get too attatched, but we'll see how the club treats me... or how I treat them, I suppose!

Try and get them in the top tier as they've never been there before :thup: Kiko, Lindegaard, Akpan and Lenihan are all good signings though. Where's the likes of Mattock, Frecks, Ward, Bowery and Wood?

Mattock is sharing left back duty with Armand Traore. Frecklington is still captain, and starting in centre midfield. Danny Ward is my second choice left winger- though he's just had a big injury, not sure how well he'll come back. Bowery underperformed for me. Occasional good games, but couldn't nail a starting place as either the striker or ahead of Maguire on the right win, so he just got sold after promotion for about £400k- he'd put in a transfer request. Wood couldn't get close to the team, unfortunately, and was sold cheaply.

Mattock is sharing left back duty with Armand Traore. Frecklington is still captain, and starting in centre midfield. Danny Ward is my second choice left winger- though he's just had a big injury, not sure how well he'll come back. Bowery underperformed for me. Occasional good games, but couldn't nail a starting place as either the striker or ahead of Maguire on the right win, so he just got sold after promotion for about £400k- he'd put in a transfer request. Wood couldn't get close to the team, unfortunately, and was sold cheaply.

Maguire is a good performer - he's still with me at Portsmouth in the prem but will be leaving at end of the season, will of been a good servant. Good to see Frecks still at the club and Danny Ward was the same for me, quicker you can sell for money the better. Bowery is very hit and miss, was good for me and was terrible for my brother.

Need a new AMC, realistically. Ledesma isn't a natural there, and the other option is a fella named Christian Alfonso who was picked up by the AI on a free in the first season, when they were relegated.

Aside from that, squad looks pretty decent, in my eyes. Lindegaard and Benjamin Siegrist as keepers. Ryan Mclaughlin and Brian Lenihan at right back, Mattock and Traore at left back, Pearce, Halford, David Edgar and Josh Lelan as my centre halves.

Freck and Sean Goss as my deep playmakers, Akpan and Ryan Tunicliffe as my defensive midfielders, and I think I've mentioned all the attacking options. A couple of young loanees in there also, but AMC is the main position I'm concerned about.

Need a new AMC, realistically. Ledesma isn't a natural there, and the other option is a fella named Christian Alfonso who was picked up by the AI on a free in the first season, when they were relegated.

Aside from that, squad looks pretty decent, in my eyes. Lindegaard and Benjamin Siegrist as keepers. Ryan Mclaughlin and Brian Lenihan at right back, Mattock and Traore at left back, Pearce, Halford, David Edgar and Josh Lelan as my centre halves.

Freck and Sean Goss as my deep playmakers, Akpan and Ryan Tunicliffe as my defensive midfielders, and I think I've mentioned all the attacking options. A couple of young loanees in there also, but AMC is the main position I'm concerned about.

I'd get rid of Ledesma as soon as.

Even check out for Connor Chaplin from Portsmouth.

Ended up signing a Croatian named Sammir on a free after he left Jiangsu. He's done me a solid job thus far, and I've managed to pull myself to a safe midtable position, coming up to the end of the season.

Looking to next year, despite my nonexistant finances, I'm going to need to improve the defence. We've conceded a lot of goals, and whilst we've been scoring more, with Jaime settling well, and loanee Valentino Lazaro performing excellently, I think I need upgrades at left back and centre half at least.

To the free agent market!

• 2 weeks later...

We did it! Still expected to fight against relegation, but thanks to Barry Bannan's arrival and playing out of his skin, Federico Macheda and Ryan Kent scoring a bundle, and a much improved defence with Grant Hanley and Ben Amos coming in, we limped over the line in second place to achieve promotion to the Premier League, despite defeat on the final day.

How the hell do I keep this side remotely close to survival?

We did it! Still expected to fight against relegation, but thanks to Barry Bannan's arrival and playing out of his skin, Federico Macheda and Ryan Kent scoring a bundle, and a much improved defence with Grant Hanley and Ben Amos coming in, we limped over the line in second place to achieve promotion to the Premier League, despite defeat on the final day.

How the hell do I keep this side remotely close to survival?

Probably playing a 3 man midfield all the time and hoping :D. No doubt you'll already know this but check loans, some good players are available to loan, it's a bit silly :D.

Welp, a busy pre season is coming to a close, and the money has been spent. There are still holes in the side, but I'll just have to do what I can to keep the team up!

Current Squad:

GKs:

Ben Amos (£300k, Burnley)

Anders Lindegaard (Free)

RB:

Sam Byran (£3.2m, Leeds)

Mandela Egbo (£50k Borussia Monchengladbach)

LB:

Nicolas Clasen (£275k, Borussia Monchengladbach)

Kyle Walker-Peters (£275k, Spurs)

CB:

Jake Cooper (£4.5m, Reading)

Alex Pearce (£75k, Derby)

Grant Hanley (£115k, Wigan)

Mathias Bossaerts (Free)

CM:

Barry Bannan (Free)

Sandro (Free)

Sean Goss (Free)

Hope Akpan (Free)

(Also a regen on loan from Shakhtar)

AMC:

Adam Maher (£8.5m, West Ham, formerly PSV)

Liam Kelly (Free, Reading)

Wingers:

Jaime (£475k, Udinese)

Lloyd Isgrove (£475k, Burnley)

Zidane Banjaqui (£1.1m, Benfica)

Hal Robson-Kanu (Free)

Strikers:

Federico Macheda (£100k, Cardiff)

Daniel Ginczek (£1.4m, Stuttgart)

Andy Carroll (£210k, Watford)

Plus a couple of transfer listed players (Like Jonson Clarke-Harris, somehow still here!)

Fingers crossed for the season's maulings ahead!

• 2 months later...

Decided to start a game as The Millers as my mum is from Rotherham.

Squad is ageing but should be good enough to stay up, only transfers are Mickael Forssell on a freebie and Jordan Williams on loan from Liverpool.

Currently 3rd in the league after 5 games, Jonson Clarke-Harris my top goalscorer with 4 goals, he has the potential just needs a bit of training, if I can get his first touch and passing up then he could be a decent target man, and having played as Ipswich I love my target men!

Decided to start a game as The Millers as my mum is from Rotherham.

Squad is ageing but should be good enough to stay up, only transfers are Mickael Forssell on a freebie and Jordan Williams on loan from Liverpool.

Currently 3rd in the league after 5 games, Jonson Clarke-Harris my top goalscorer with 4 goals, he has the potential just needs a bit of training, if I can get his first touch and passing up then he could be a decent target man, and having played as Ipswich I love my target men!

Good to see :thup:. I started a game with the new patch/DB but I've updated it in the FM Career Updates. First season was a struggle for me but second was great. Third hasn't been too shabby so far tbh.

Archived