[suggestion] Dedicate Network Game Server

First of all, I'm not suggesting SI fork out and set up servers for us all to host Network games on for free. However, I do think the ability to create your own server from either a private server that could be integrated with FM or SI provide the ability to rent a server from them, which then could be used for hosting Network games (anyone who's aware, think of Minecrafts servers).

Had a quick look but didn't see such a suggestion before (although I'm sure there would have been). We all know that a poor host or people with slow connections can ruin a Network game and in general, it's not really appealing in the current setup. I believe the ability to rent a server off SI for a monthly fee, which allows a Network game to be hosted on a dedicated high speed server would improve the online aspect of FM.

Not having to rely on on the host being online to continue the game, not having to hope that everyone involved can connect to the host etc. Obviously, I'm sure there is all sorts of technical issues that would make this a difficult feature to implement but I believe it's something to consider/try out in the future.

Hypothetically, you would be able to restrict the rules of the server, setting "game times" and other restrictions. Meaning the game will operate between for example 8pm-11pm Mon, Tue, Thurs and all managers not present in the game will proceed with their assistant in charge. This would allow for online games to be competitive but not reliant on all/some of the participants.

FML was more of an MMO with different concepts and revolved around large servers designed to deal with a lot of traffic.

What I'm suggesting is simply a way to remove the need for one user to be the host and include the ability to have a remote host that all players connect to.

This could be a few of your mates on your own private server, giving you a fast connection for better loading/processing and the ability to tweak and customize the network game to suit.

I'm not entirely certain how the system works with Civilization V but the network games on that have a system where there is a host who sets up the game exactly the same as someone would on FM. If someone disconnects though the game is able to pass over the host to another person still connected. That is perhaps one feature that could make network games a little better going forward.

The connection and loading/processing times are purely down to whoever hosts the game at the moment though, with the small group I play with whoever has the best PC & internet connection at the time hosts the game.

I suggested this many years back.

A dedicated server would be really nice. Back then, SI said that it wouldn't happen as no-one wants it. Which is a shame really. While I agree not everyone wants it, there is a very likely minority who would and it would improve their own network games, eliminating the player 'lag' when clicking items etc.

I'm not entirely certain how the system works with Civilization V but the network games on that have a system where there is a host who sets up the game exactly the same as someone would on FM. If someone disconnects though the game is able to pass over the host to another person still connected. That is perhaps one feature that could make network games a little better going forward.

The connection and loading/processing times are purely down to whoever hosts the game at the moment though, with the small group I play with whoever has the best PC & internet connection at the time hosts the game.

I wouldn't trade the relative stability that FM online games give at the moment when compared to playing Civ V online.

Nethertheless anything which makes online play better in FM is always good and would be greatly appreciated.

Archived