Lack of lateral movement in the ME

After the last few versions of total disappointment for me, FM2015 became a version that I can actually play and enjoy (especially after discovering FMC).

My only significant issue with the ME right now is the lack of lateral movement by the players, and some lack of vertical movement as well, in certain cases. This, combined with the issues in the match rating algorithm, really forces me to stick with certain formations/roles, in order to get reasonable match results and player ratings.

For example, I really like 4-1-3-2 formation, but it comes with several problems in FM2015:

- The 3 MC's in the middle always play too close to each other. I tried every possible combination of roles, and it doesn't matter. I can get the one in the middle to join the strikers to some extent, by giving him an attacking role, but even then he sticks to his original position for too long when in possession, and only runs forward when I have the ball in the opposition box finally, and most of the time ends up being too late to support the strikers. Moreover, by not moving forward much / on time, he clogs the middle, with the other two MC's. The other two MC's on each side of the attacking MC, are even more stationary. Since I am playing with no wings, they should naturally spread out more, both on offense and on defense. This just doesn't happen. They also almost never make forward runs. The only time they move forward is when my wingbacks go all the way to the byline, and cross the ball from there. Even then, the MC's wait far too long before they start moving into the box, and 90% of the time they are too late - they end up running into the box while the opponent defenders are clearing the ball.

- Since the MC's don't move enough laterally while on defense as well, my two wingbacks always end up dealing with the opponents by themselves. This creates two issues for me. One, it hurts defensively, especially if opponents prefer to exploit the flanks. Two, my wingbacks almost always end up getting the highest match ratings, because with no support from the players at the center they end up with a lot of successful tackles every game. Normally, with a narrow formation like this, you want your wingbacks to play active role in offense, to provide width, but I end up trying to limit their contribution in an effort to get my MC's more involved, and balance the match ratings that way.

- There should be at least an option in the ME to instruct your two side MC's to play wider. I don't understand why it is not even an option. Why restrict that?

I've been playing CM4 lately and the arrows is one of the things I really enjoy and miss. I imagine it's much easier to exploit the AI though.

The MC not joining in attacks might be down to other issues, like mentality and how quick your team goes forward, but especially the wide central midfielders not helping out fullbacks is a source for frustration. Looking at my team Villa under Sherwood when they play 4132, they usually have Delph and Cleverly doubling up with the fullbacks in defence, and bombing forward in attack, often going wide into channels, but also popping up in the box. It would be very hard to replicate that in FM.

I've been playing CM4 lately and the arrows is one of the things I really enjoy and miss. I imagine it's much easier to exploit the AI though.

The MC not joining in attacks might be down to other issues, like mentality and how quick your team goes forward, but especially the wide central midfielders not helping out fullbacks is a source for frustration. Looking at my team Villa under Sherwood when they play 4132, they usually have Delph and Cleverly doubling up with the fullbacks in defence, and bombing forward in attack, often going wide into channels, but also popping up in the box. It would be very hard to replicate that in FM.

Yes, that's a great example.

But I don't see why it would be difficult to replicate that. Only a few versions ago (FM12?) it was possible to set for every individual player how wide/narrow you want them to play. That slider system was not realistic, sure, but at least it made a lot of variations possible. Without the slider system, we should at least have the option 'play wider' not greyed out for MC's. There is no reason for that. Moreover, in future FM's, I would like to see more tactical options, such as 'help fullbacks in defense', or 'play wider / provide width in offense'.

I haven't had too many problems with my 4-1-3-2 DM. It was a template in Tactics Wizard. It plays with Wide Midfielders one AU and one A. Too keep from getting to congested in middle. I train the WM's with PPM's to Hug the line.

I haven't had too many problems with my 4-1-3-2 DM. It was a template in Tactics Wizard. It plays with Wide Midfielders one AU and one A. Too keep from getting to congested in middle. I train the WM's with PPM's to Hug the line.

I am referring to the variation with 3 MC's though, no wide midfielders. It is a formation I ended up using since there were many good MC's in my roster when I took over Leeds United, and no M L/R or AM L/R's.

But I don't see why it would be difficult to replicate that.

Sorry, I was being unclear. I meant it would be difficult to replicate in the current state of the game by using the instructions available. I agree some sort of option should be introduced to control movement.

Sorry, I was being unclear. I meant it would be difficult to replicate in the current state of the game by using the instructions available. I agree some sort of option should be introduced to control movement.

I don't have a massive problem with 4132.

There are times when the MCL gets dragged too far right or the MCR gets dragged too far left and if the opposition switch the ball it causes a problem but in general they line up pretty well in defence. I would like to see a little more width held but only slightly else you may as well play with ML & MR.

Going forward a lot comes down to the positions, PPMs and style of the player. By definition the formation is built to give the fullbacks freedom to provide the width so you shouldn't expect your MCL & MCR bombing down the wing and if you use players who play wide as well as central they will drift wider naturally into the channel.

My biggest problem with the formation is encouraging the team to get the ball wide to the fullbacks as too many times they choose to turn back infield playing the ball into a ST or another MC.

Archived