How important is the assistant manager?

I think I'm going to get a new assistant manager in the summer (I'm Man United, it's Jan 2016 and I have Ryan Giggs as my assistant manager), as mine as only 3 stars. Will it cause disruption, as my assistant manager as a club legend?

How important is the assistant manager anyway? I never let mine do my media talks or team talks. And I don't listen to him that much during games, only when he's telling me to close down a player. Is it just a case of better assistant manager, better advice, both on the field and off it.

By the way, any suggestions as to who could replace him?? I don't want to get rid of Ryan Giggs, but do you think he'll take a coaching role? I'm edging towards he'll get a manager's job somewhere, eh?

One last thing: coaches. Any suggestions to which coaches are the Messi and Ronaldo of the coaching world?

Thanks.

Assistant Manager is the most important staff role at my club. He does everything I dont like or want to do as in team talks, first team training, interacting with media with post game interviews and the like.

When I go to hire a new assistant manager, if I have a training area that's a little weaker than the others, I look for a guy who is strong in coaching those areas. Not only that, but I try to get someone who has strong man management and tactical attributes, in case he were ever required to manage in my absence. Someone who shares the same tactical philosophy is a plus. I personally never use the assistant manager for pressers, team talks, that sort of thing--in fact, about the only thing I really use him for, besides basically being another coach, is tedious stuff like arranging friendlies.

As far as the specific case of getting rid of a club legend, I've never noticed any ill effects on that as far as the coaching (or indeed, any of the backroom) staff. From what I've noticed the whole club legend thing only really applies to players and the manager. I'm not sure that someone who is already the assistant manager would be terribly willing to take essentially a demotion to a mere coach. He might be willing to move to manager of the U-21 side, maybe.

You don't have to get rid of him. I'm playing with Man Utd too, and in new contract negotiation he asked to be U18 Ass Man. I keep him as my Assistant tho, since I don't really care about his or any other coaches' suggestions. I 'm pretty much doing everything myself. Maybe the only problem for me is his Judging CA/PA, but I play with rotation system and whoever in form will be my 1st choice players.

I think the thing with the ass man is the answer will always be "it depends". They can do lots of things for you, or they can do very little. It all depends how you want to use them, and what to use them for. Decide that, and then choose your sidekick accordingly. I fired Giggs straight away. Didn't like the look of him as an ass man at all for what I want an ass man to do.

I think the assman gives your team's style of play exactly what it says in his coaching profile. No point in playing an attacking tactic with an assman who is cautious and defensive. I'm not sure how much his tactical nous comes in to play as I went from L2 to the Prem with an assman tactic rating of 1.

I, for one, regard Judging CA and PA as his most important attribute (along with "knowledge of club players") because i will have more trust in the stars in "AssMan report"

Hugely important for me too.

Archived