[FM 15.3.1] Fergie's 442, Van Gaal 433 & 352 with an extra dose of philosophy

9R4Lmab.jpghOQgegQ.png

Fergie's 4-4-2

Download

Old school 442, my tried and trusted tactic that I've adapted and carried over from previous FM's. It is my go-to tactic and works on all levels. Now I've decided to release it to the public. Flat back four, two hard working wingers with pace and decent crossing/passing. Scholes/Keane midfield combo, a roaming playmaker plus a ball winning or box to box midfielder. Up front we have Van Nistelrooy (advanced forward) and Rooney (false nine). Any goal scoring forward will get you goals. For me it was Falcao first season, then Hernandez. For Spurs, Harry Kane has 24 league goals by February, and that's after he was injured for awhile, Adebayor took over and scored like 12. The false nine position needs someone who is creative as well as a goal scorer, Eriksen was amazing.

+ Recommended for home games in top leagues

+ Fast, fluid attacking football

+ Fit players according to the roles

+ Set pieces included

+ When things are not going well, or if you are defending a lead, put a tall strong targetman like Fellaini in the false nine role and change to Target Man (Support). I've had lots of success with this. For even better effect add "Cross To Target Man" player instructions to the fullbacks.

abFSDQiand.jpg-336%C3%97515.png

Van Gaal 4-3-3

Download

Download v1.1

This is a Van Gaal inspired 4-3-3 that utilizes wide forwards such as Lamela, Berahino, Angelo Henriquez. The center forward is set to a false nine role so he drops deep sometimes and provide link up play. Putting a poacher there such as Chicharito works too but sometimes not as effective. Midfield is as shown by Netherlands, the anchor man controls the midfield and wins the ball back for the more creative midfielders.

+ Effective as a counter for certain formations, such as 4231, 4411

+ If your players fit the tactic you can use this as a main instead of 442

+ Sometimes better for away games than 442

+ Set pieces included

+ Change mentality to Counter for last 20 mins if under pressure in a winning position

+ Recommended change the RCM to box to box midfielder if you have one, such as Dembele, Capoue, Fellaini. Change LCM to roaming playmaker.

v1.1 - Added specific player roles to the two CM's (box to box and RPm), tweaked player instructions. Improved passing and link-up play between the central midfielders.

pyRui69.pngsGcvVvQ.png

Van Gaal 'Philosophy' 3-5-2

Download

This is a very attacking tactic modelled after Van Gaal's 352, which he used for both Netherlands and Manchester United. The two wingbacks provide width while the back three push high up the midfield. The two central midfielders provide passing options. The enganche is the link, or creative target man. The aim of this tactic is to keep the opposition pinned inside their own half while retaining possession. While this tactic definitely works, I do not recommend using it as your main because of its inconsistency, as well as prone to being countered by certain formations.

+ Dominate possession and create lots of shots, chances

+ May not work well against certain formations... if you're still being dominated after 20mins change to a different tactic

+ The half back works best with a defender, such as Phil Jones, put your most aggressive defender with best off the ball / work rate

+ The wing backs act like wingers more than defenders so emphasize on attacking attributes

+ Extremely effective vs tactics with their wingbacks pushed up, such as Brendan Rodgers' 343

+ Set pieces included

Team training

m904DYg.png

Defensive positioning also works, up to you. Match training all the way to the right, both allow rest checkboxes UNTICKED during pre-season.

My Spurs season so far with the original squad

Spurs season - secured title with three games left - Harry Kane breaks PL goalscoring record

Spurs Winter transfers

Interesting. How much faith do you have in the 4-4-2? Have you tested it with lower leagues? Any Screens of results? I love wide play tactics and may look to use this with a promotion chasing side from the lower leagues and look to build up the leagues with it.

Interesting. How much faith do you have in the 4-4-2? Have you tested it with lower leagues? Any Screens of results? I love wide play tactics and may look to use this with a promotion chasing side from the lower leagues and look to build up the leagues with it.

Last year I used it to drag FC United to the top, winning promotion every year except the Championship, which I took an extra year to prepare myself for the EPL. If you like wingplay this should be for you. I had to adapt the tactics after one of the patches reduced crossing effectiveness, so it's held up quite well.

2014/2015 Vanorama North

First season transfers

2015/2016 Vanorama Conference

Second season transfers

2016/2017 Skybet League Two

After failing to win my 6 opening games and rock bottom of the league with my own 4-4-2 I turned to this.

Currently managing Wexford in the Irish league (about League 1/2 standard) and our media prediction is 7th.

We turned around our season and now we're now sitting 5th (11 team league), we won the All Ireland Cup and in the League Cup final. We're picking up points from the top teams in the division as well. Next season I feel we can win the title using this tactic, I just started this season in bad form/morale.

My main striker has 21 in 20 and supporting man has 14 in 20. The RPM is very good. No matter what the player it gets consistently high ratings even when he doesn't score or assist. I also really enjoy the wing play in this tactic. Assisting the main striker with through balls as well as crosses.

Really like the look of these three tactics. Looking for a fresh approach for my new job at Newcastle (previous back to back promotions with Hartlepool landed me the Job)! and these philosophies fit my style of play and approach perfectly.

Will look to tweak them as very uncomfortable playing with an overload approach, also very interested in incorporating a false nine as most of my tactics have failed to really include a striker with most of my goals coming from Inside forwards or Wingers. It seems like the good old number nine has been nuked in this years game! Just bough Berahino as we were defunct up front so will fit in perfectly. Sitting 12th after joining the club in 20th! so hopefully can push on with this new approach and finish a comfortable top 10 for a summer rebuild!

@JDee - thanks for the feedback, glad to hear its working as intended

@RaulDuke30 - feel free to make tweaks, although I do not recommend tweaking the 442 too much. The Overload mentality is responsible for the very quick transitions from defense to attack and the tactic is set up to be reasonably tight at the back. I have uploaded an update to the 433, improving the central midfielders. I tried setting the wide men to "Inside Forward" but it wasn't as effective because they cut inside and crammed the middle, personally I prefer width, so they will stay as Wingers.

@gobinshark - i dont have past stats anymore but generally I score 60-70% from passes, 20% from crosses, the rest from set pieces. Goal types are predominately from placed shots.

Moyes failed last year largely because he played his 442/4411 with only one gameplan, crosses into the box. He had no plan B. My 442 has a Plan B as well as a Plan C. The two CM's act like playmakers and spray passes either out wide, or directly to the strikers, who receive the ball with their back to goal. The striker then either passes to his partner for a CCC, passes out wide to a winger who is usually open, or spin around and take a shot on goal himself. The tactic presses high up the pitch and keeps attacking the opposition box. So it works for a variety of teams and squads.

433 v1.1 uploaded

Archived