winning by a decent margin but only to let lead slip

In spite of the ire this comment usually provokes: It is likely to be tactical.

What sort of changes are you making when you have a lead? What is your set up? What sorts of goals are conceded? What level are you playing at?

If you can answer all of those in a new thread in the Tactics Forum, we can happily help you out.

OK RTHerringbone, i usually make either 2 of 3 changes.

A. players condition has gone down alot and i sub him incase he will pick up an injury and or

B. player did pick up a knock (you know the cross but can still play on) but if i play him on i know he will more than likely be out for weeks perhaps months.

C. like i say i could be 3-0 up and i will want to rest and important player or two for the next game.

and just to go further into B. a player got injured just before half time, but i waited until halk-time to sub him. Second half starts and within 20 to 30m seconds they get one back. (Their mangager must have given one heck of a team talk :p)

and more on C. i would "usually" swap those players with equally good ones or just a little par below.

I conceed goals very early on, late into the first half, early in the second half and late in the second half are when i conceed most.

the sort of goals conceed are 4 headers of corner kicks (i chose man marking over zonal there)

4 from a cross and 2 from a pass.

my setup is a 4-2-3-1 wide either control or attacking used with structured and im playing English Prem League as Liverpool

Perhaps a bit too attacking?

Yes.

Attacking mentality with four players not contributing to defence. Lots of space in front of your fullbacks and between defence and midfield for the opposition to exploit. Once they go behind they have nothing to lose so push forward into that space.

You need to have a plan for defending a lead whereas all you are doing is going hell for leather for more goals.

In reply to post eight, there are a number of ways to improve. You could keep that formation but reduce Mentality, change TIs and Duties. Alternatively you can change to a 4-4-1-1 as it will improve how you defend the flanks. You need to see why you concede the goals you do, because you will still concede. It's clear that your system works offensively, you just need to recognise that a 2-0 or 3-0 lead is often plenty and you don't need to keep pushing for more.

In some games, you will be able to keep attacking, you just need to gauge the flow of the match and choose the right approach.

In reply to post eight, there are a number of ways to improve. You could keep that formation but reduce Mentality, change TIs and Duties. Alternatively you can change to a 4-4-1-1 as it will improve how you defend the flanks. You need to see why you concede the goals you do, because you will still concede. It's clear that your system works offensively, you just need to recognise that a 2-0 or 3-0 lead is often plenty and you don't need to keep pushing for more.

In some games, you will be able to keep attacking, you just need to gauge the flow of the match and choose the right approach.

Making alot of sense. i get it now!!!

The last one should be better defensively than the first but is still very aggressive. I'd lose an Attack duty on at least one flank and still drop mentality but take off drop deeper to avoid stretching the gap from defence to midfield.

Use control, Lallana on (support) and lose the drop deeper to avoid stretching the gap from defence to midfield.

Yep will give it a go in a practice match and let you know how i get on

Yes.

Attacking mentality with four players not contributing to defence. Lots of space in front of your fullbacks and between defence and midfield for the opposition to exploit. Once they go behind they have nothing to lose so push forward into that space.

You need to have a plan for defending a lead whereas all you are doing is going hell for leather for more goals.

I read your comment to, don't worry. Im taking it all in. :)

And also i am very aware i can change the players mentalities BUT if i changed Hendersons from a DLP to a CM(S) i feel i wouldn't get the best out of him as a creator.

If you have a comfortable lead you need to ask yourself do you need him to create more? or do you need him to help protect what he has already created?

Thats not to say I would change him from a DLP to CM myself, if you have no other playmakers I would leave him as a DLP.

If you have a comfortable lead you need to ask yourself do you need him to create more? or do you need him to help protect what he has already created?

Thats not to say I would change him from a DLP to CM myself, if you have no other playmakers I would leave him as a DLP.

I swear, it sounds so simple yet that didn't accour to me. it really is the simple things im overlooking.

I dont feel my tactic is the reason really since i follow the gameplay in ME and try read things out from that and stats from matchstats. My team are pretty balanced but simply cant take the ball even when 3vs1 on many occacions, despite individual instructions. I alrdy knew i would draw when they made 3-1:).

I play 4-1-4-1 with wingers and 1 balance defensive. only full atck is my striker, rest are in support mode except for cb:s and balanceplayer. If you are playing well and everything is smooth you dont change, when you conceed out of nowhere, you can try change, tell em to concentrate, make a sub, some defensive role etc...it still feels more random than logic to me. To believe anything else is to believe game is in full release and it really isnt at this moment. And to make this clear, i dont care if i win or loose, has nothing to do with it. Tweaks are needed.

Regards

I will play 'lock down 1 flank' defence. I play a 3-4-2-1. If I managed to get a 2 goals lead by the 60th min or a goal at the 75th min mark, I will lock down 1 flank. The left wingback and left DM will be put to defend duty. Close down more and push higher up TI will be off, focus attack on the right side will be on.

You may want to use the PI on the gk to slow down the pace and waste more time.

I will also use the in-game team talk and ask the players to 'concentrate' at the 75th to 80th min mark.

Archived