Can someone explain the different ways to get rid of players?

From what I understand we have 'offer to clubs', 'set transfer status', 'add to unwanted list - full value, half value, or any price' and 'sell or release'. What are the differences between each? Which one is fastest? Which one makes the most money? How long approximately will I have to wait to get rid of the player at each of them? And just generally, which one should I choose? I have about a month before the season officially starts, but I'd rather do it sooner than later, so I can bring people in quickly and start working on team cohesion and tactics familiarity.

I'm still in the pre-season trying to get setup for my first season in this game. Started with a club in the English third division, Colchester. I don't know who hired the guys that I have now, but he needs to be fired, seriously. One of my key players with 4-star ability makes €950 p/w. Meanwhile, some asshole with the squad status set to 'Backup' makes €2,400 p/w. And if that wasn't enough, I have a guy that's 'first team' status who makes €3,500 p/w. He's the highest earner on the club. But the douchenozzle is so bad there's no way I can play him (2-star ability). Do you know how much I can do with an extra €2,400 or €3,500 in the payroll? Can definitely bring in better players than these clowns, I'll tell you that much.

Offer to clubs - Send an email to every club telling them player X is for sale.

Set Transfer Status - Make the player available for transfer or loan.

Add to unwanted list - Give whichever staff member is in charge of transfers (Options screen) the job of selling the player for "Full value", "Half value", "Any Price" or "Release"

Just a couple of other points though:

A) There is no reason a 2* player can't be a first team regular, its all down to the attributes you can see and those you can't. One of my best defenders last year was only 1.5/2*.

B) You are Chesterfield, if you don't want the players other teams probably won't either. Also at that level teams can't afford transfer fees in general with 99% of players moving for free at the end of their contracts.

My advice would be make use of them, don't renew their contracts if they are no good and release them when their contracts end.

I was thinking of hiring free agents, that's why. There's a particular one that caught my eye, he would definitely make first team and as I recall he was asking for 2,500 p/w, which as it stands is a lot of money but if I could get rid of a 2,400 player I would suddenly be able to afford it.

Either way, should I set transfer status while offering to clubs, wait a week or so, then release? Or is there another cost other than salary to hiring free agents/releasing players that I'm not thinking of, and I should just keep them like you said and not bring in any new players at all until next season?

I was thinking of hiring free agents, that's why. There's a particular one that caught my eye, he would definitely make first team and as I recall he was asking for 2,500 p/w, which as it stands is a lot of money but if I could get rid of a 2,400 player I would suddenly be able to afford it.

Either way, should I set transfer status while offering to clubs, wait a week or so, then release? Or is there another cost other than salary to hiring free agents/releasing players that I'm not thinking of, and I should just keep them like you said and not bring in any new players at all until next season?

There is no point releasing the player, you will still have to pay all of his wages up to the end of his contract, the only difference is you have to pay it in one lump sum when you release him. Its unlikely your club can afford to do that.

If you really want rid of him I would set his transfer status to "Available for transfer", play him in a few friendlies and then offer him out if you get some interested clubs. At best you might be able to move him on for nothing which would save you his wages and then let you sign someone else.

If you do the sell or release option, your DoF will try and punt him first, but if not will negotiate a severance package, normally less than what it would be if you just released him yourself, and only if the club can afford it.

I use this option fairly regularly, depending on what club I'm at.

I learned fairly quickly (and sent my club into administration) that "release on free" sometimes results in a staggering amount of severance pay. If you're looking to free up wages, and the player's not to your liking (but still fairly marketable), make him available to clubs and accept any offer. I wouldn't necessarily transfer-list him without provocation - the important thing is to move him and free up wages, not make a huge sum in transfer fees (which you're not going to get at that level anyways unless he's good enough that you'd want to keep him). The fans (and club) may not be happy that you moved him on for nothing, but if his replacement produces, they'll forget about it eventually. And if he doesn't produce, your board will move you on... :cool:

make him available to clubs and accept any offer. I wouldn't necessarily transfer-list him without provocation

I don't get it, what is the difference between those two? Is the first one "add to unwanted list - any price" while the second one is "set transfer status"?

Either way, thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't get it, what is the difference between those two? Is the first one "add to unwanted list - any price" while the second one is "set transfer status"?

Either way, thanks for the replies everyone.

I have found that setting a player specifically to "transfer list and not needed" results in a immediate morale problem and likely a visit to your office. "Offer to clubs" and setting "accept any offer" doesn't seem to generate immediate player hostility, and if no one's interested, life goes on.

However, don't select "sell or release" because if no offers come through, your DoF (or whoever is designated to dispose of players) will settle a severance package and release the player.

Archived