Struggling to sell players, players asking for obscene wages and I've never been offered a job

Afternoon all,

I'm running the latest patch on the MAC version of FM14 and I've got a few odd issues.

1 - Struggling to sell players. Since I've had FM14 on my MAC I've really struggled to sell players. For instance I have Jackson Martinez who is 30 and is still a decent player. He's worth £7m and he's on 70k a week. I can't even shift him for free! This sort of thing is happening with all my players. I have a 25 year old English keeper called Darlow who is worth £5.5m and I can't even shift him for free. This sort of thing happens to anyone I try to sell. Even top rated young player 21-25. All ages, all values, all ratings I can't shift them for less than half their value. I've never had this issue before, but its happened two games in a row now.

2 - Players asking for obscene wages - This is happening every time I renew someone's contract. I'm Forest in the prem, so nothing special. And overtime I try and renew someone wages they are asking for £70k+. Even young players, its bizarre. I have Vilhena and he was on £19k. He's just asked for £95k and he only started 12 games all season.

3 - Two games in a row I've not been offered one job. First game I was Spurs and I won absolutely everything yet I didn't get offered one job. This game now I am Forest and I've won the championship to be promoted, then finished 7th then 3rd, then 2nd now I've just won the league. Yet I havent been offered a job, its weird. Two games in a row, the PL, BBVA, Serie and Bundesliga all added and not one job has been offered to me in 15+ seasons.

I'm not sure if this is a general issue, or its just on the MAC or the latest update or what. It's clearly an issue though. The selling of players and not being offered jobs is the most important ones though.

Anyone else having these problems?

Yes, selling unwanted players is much more difficult to do in FM14 than any previous version I have played. Once a player becomes overpaid, you can't do much to rescue the situation. Even offering out the player on loan with all wages paid generates zero interest in most cases. And when another club does make an offer, often the overpaid player will turn it down as insulting.

It's logical...except aging overpaid players should also recognize that their career is going down the drain and become more amenable to moving on, if only for playing time purposes. A 30 year old who plays zero competitive matches for an entire season is really orchestrating his own early retirement.

Ok, so it's not only me then. I'm even having trouble selling top top players. I have Jovetic on £70k a week, he's 27 and I can't even get half his value. Same with Darlow the keeper, I can't even get rid for free. Happens with every player I try to sell. I even had a RW that I wanted to sell, put him him for £4m less than value which was £9m. Not a sniff. Took him off the transfer list then 2 weeks later Dortmund offer £24m for him and he goes. It's happening to every single player I try and sell, or give away. Very peculiar.

1. Selling players starts with your save setup. Small number of playable teams & large database = flooded market, lots of players to buy cheaply but the flipside is no one will want your players because there are thousands of better players available for free.

Once you have a balanced setup it comes down to reputation (League, Team & Player), wages and current squad. Players dislike moving to lower rep leagues & teams especially if the rep is lower than their own. AI clubs also do a lot of transfer work in the background so the user doesn't get a million messages every time they press continue. This means if an AI club doesn't feel like the player would be interested in moving to them (Down to rep/wages) they won't make an offer at all.

If you play in a high rep league you'll always have some problems moving players on especially those that are overpaid for their rep.

2. Again down to rep, players ask what they think they are worth, this can be negotiated down to some extent but if they ask for really large amounts it means they aren't really interested in playing for your club.

This also links to point 1, if you agree to overpay your players you'll have trouble getting rid of them.

3. Much like transfers this is down to rep, you are playing in probably the number one ranked league in the world. How many teams are a step up from Spurs? Lower ranked teams won't offer you a job because they don't think you'll accept.

All these things have changed an awful lot either in Fm14 or in some of the updates then. Because I've never had issues like this in previous versions. The not getting offered jobs thing as well, that's a new thing. In the past I've been offered job left right and centre if I've done well.

I have the PL, BBVA, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga loaded. I have Jovetic worth £15m at the moment, 28 years old. He's on reasonable wages, can't even shift him for £5m. No interest from any one other than Stoke who wont put a bid in. This happens almost every player I want to sell, it's definitely not right. Previous patches of FM14 I havent had this issue.

I have the PL, BBVA, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga loaded. I have Jovetic worth £15m at the moment, 28 years old. He's on reasonable wages, can't even shift him for £5m. No interest from any one other than Stoke who wont put a bid in. This happens almost every player I want to sell, it's definitely not right. Previous patches of FM14 I havent had this issue.

Jovetic is 28yo so thats five years into the game.

What team are you?

What are his wages?

When are you trying to sell him?

Has he been playing?

What level is his scouting stars at?

Who do you expect buying him?

Why should they buy him from you?

EDIT

You could also upload your save so we can look for ourselves and give you a better idea of why you are struggling to sell him.

What team are you? - Nottingham Forest

What are his wages? - £90k.

When are you trying to sell him? - 1st Jan. Window is shut now, wouldnt even sell for £2.5m.

Has he been playing? - I've been playing him a little bit, but not a lot because I want rid. I tried to sell him at the end of last season. I won the league, he had a better than 1 in 2 record. Same issue selling him as I have now.

What level is his scouting stars at? - 3.5 stars.

Who do you expect buying him? - Any team that wants a goal scorer that scores goals.

Why should they buy him from you? - Because £2.5m for a striker worth at least 4 times that, and scores goals should sell.

If it was the first time it's happened it wouldnt bother me. It's not. It just seems extremely hard to sell players unless they are top top top players.

What team are you? - Nottingham Forest

What are his wages? - £90k.

When are you trying to sell him? - 1st Jan. Window is shut now, wouldnt even sell for £2.5m.

Has he been playing? - I've been playing him a little bit, but not a lot because I want rid. I tried to sell him at the end of last season. I won the league, he had a better than 1 in 2 record. Same issue selling him as I have now.

What level is his scouting stars at? - 3.5 stars.

Who do you expect buying him? - Any team that wants a goal scorer that scores goals.

Why should they buy him from you? - Because £2.5m for a striker worth at least 4 times that, and scores goals should sell.

If it was the first time it's happened it wouldnt bother me. It's not. It just seems extremely hard to sell players unless they are top top top players.

If you upload your save it would be far easier as we wouldn't have to keep asking for info all the time.

Based on what you've said though:

90k a week isn't what I would call a reasonable wage its the top end at best for most Premiership clubs. For example at the start of the game its almost double the highest wage earner at Stoke so it will limit you in terms of clubs to sell to.

Its also harder to sell in January than it is in the summer as squads have already been built and registered so in generally clubs will only buy players to fill a hole due to a sale or major injury.

This though isn't an answer and shows a lack of understanding:

You need to put more thought into it.

You shouldn't expect him moving to your league rivals as they won't be expecting to be able to sign him, lower prem clubs can't afford his wages limiting your options further and probably meaning you would need to sell him abroad.

Depending on the state of the league rep I would say you are looking for mid-top tier clubs in Spain, Germany, Italy and maybe France. Depending on what has happened in your save I would estimate there are maybe around 20 clubs that are realistic targets to sell to.

Out of those 20 how many need a player in his position? can afford his wages/transfer fee? and is he better than the players they already have?

At this point you should be able to see that selling a player is far from simply "Any team that wants a goalscorer"

Archived