Team struggles with important matches

Hi guys!

I couldn't find a similar thread for fm14, so wanted to ask:

I'm playing as Ballymoney Utd in Belfast C2, overall the team rocks, we have the highest goal differential and placed first in the league. However, the team always loses the important matches: cups, and the last few matches of the season if there are high stakes involved. I can't figure out what's going when watching the game either, like I usually do.

I'm figuring it's a mental aspect - can someone advise which one? Should I be signing players with a higher rating in a particular skill? Determination perhaps?

Thanks!

Could be that they're young, or their few more experienced players in the line-up aren't really leaders. This question gets asked literally nearly every day, have a browse.

Ok, maybe I'm terrible at searching, but I couldn't find a thread - via forum or google. Could you point me to one?

Not quite the problem I'm having. It's not about beating big teams or facing a slump. I can be on a 10-match unbeaten streak in the early part of the season - then have a cup match, against a team I just recently thrashed in the league, and my players just stop playing and I lose. We scrape by on penalties against a lower division team, lose to a team that ends up relegated in our league. The next 10 league matches we're on an unbeaten streak again. This lasts until the end of the season when we have the match that can guarantee us promotion... and we flop.

It seems specifically a "big match" problem. Unfortunately, I play LLM so I don't seem to have many players with "Important Matches" as their strength.

Not quite the problem I'm having. It's not about beating big teams or facing a slump. I can be on a 10-match unbeaten streak in the early part of the season - then have a cup match, against a team I just recently thrashed in the league, and my players just stop playing and I lose. We scrape by on penalties against a lower division team, lose to a team that ends up relegated in our league. The next 10 league matches we're on an unbeaten streak again. This lasts until the end of the season when we have the match that can guarantee us promotion... and we flop.

It seems specifically a "big match" problem. Unfortunately, I play LLM so I don't seem to have many players with "Important Matches" as their strength.

Most if not all of them are going to be exactly the problem you're having.

Have you looked at the body language widget during a game? What does it say during these big games? Are they nervous at all?

Have you looked at the body language widget during a game? What does it say during these big games? Are they nervous at all?

I haven't noticed anything different from the other games. However, watching the game it just appears as if the team is not willing to run as fast, intercept passes, etc (didn't change tactics). Pushing up the tempo doesn't work. Also, as soon as they let the first goal in, they unravel - in my second to last match of the season, needed a draw to win the league. 0:0 with few chances against the 10th-placed team until 76th minute. Then we concede... and the game ends 0-4 at the end of 90 minutes (and not due to my pushing players up for a goal and getting caught on a counter, just stupid mistakes in defense).

If you're not noticing any nervousness, I guess we can rule that out. Might be a lack of confidence then, possibly brought on by a weak Important Matches rating for your players.

sometimes the problem in big matches is that you are playing way too attacking....which works against low quality teams but not big teams

That's true, I do overdo on the attack when playing big clubs sometimes, but this happens in important matches (such as cups), even when playing similar strength or weaker teams...

May be the important matches score I guess.

Archived