Is it possible to edit current tournaments?

looknohands

Ran into a bug with the North American (CONCACAF) Champions League: The winner of the US Cup receives one of the four US slots in the tournament; however, if a non-MLS team wins the tournament the game doesn't place them and grabs an MLS team instead. Unfortunately, SI did not have time to fix this bug before the latest patch. Is there a way to look at the qualifying rules for existing tournaments in the editor, or do I have to create an entirely new Champions League to fix this bug?

Follow up post:

Looking at USA in the advanced rules, the US Cup isn't included in the list; Could this be causing the problem? I just looked at England's list and it includes the FA Cup. However, I can't find where the FA Cup earns a spot in a continental tournament...

If you want to see the adv rules IN North American Champions League just give it a playable nation, you will see when you look at the comp nation is blank, put USA in there and save . Go to add lower leagues to that nation USA then convert it to advanced rules and you will see North American Champions League rules in the list. This can be done for any comp. its not ideal but it works

Update:

Well, I tried your method, kingrobbo, but when I try to add the NACL to the USA nation rules/add existing competition it removes all of the teams and basically gives me a blank tournament to work with. Man, I'm just trying to figure out how the programmers assigned the 4 US spots! Seems as though building a whole new tourney may be the only way to go...

I don't know what you mean...in advanced rules you do not get to see the teams taking part, you get the guts of the competition...its rules etc and I have tried it and its working I can see the rules for the tournament you want???? you did convert to advanced rules after selecting add nation rules USA then to add lower leagues to existing structure, post a screenshot of what you have after doing this

I don't know what you mean...in advanced rules you do not get to see the teams taking part, you get the guts of the competition...its rules etc and I have tried it and its working I can see the rules for the tournament you want???? you did convert to advanced rules after selecting add nation rules USA then to add lower leagues to existing structure, post a screenshot of what you have after doing this

I think they means that the 'Qualified teams' page is blank. They want to see how the game selects the teams for the competition.

Oh, man...I feel stupid. OK, I've got to the part where you're talking about (the guts of the competition) but right now I'm looking at the group stage (Stage 0) Teams and see where it lists the three qualified groups. The problem, I believe, is in how the game has it set for the winner of the US Cup to qualify for the group stage. In real life, any American team that wins the US Cup will play in the CL. Thanks to a bug, however, the game will only place an MLS team if they win the US Cup. Otherwise (as happened in my save game) the game will grab the best MLS team that didn't already qualify and place them instead of the US Cup winner. Is there any way of finding out what the game has determined for the "Get Qualified Teams?" I'm thinking the bug may reside there.

Interesting note: when converting the US nation rules from basic to advanced, the US Cup disappears from the list. Possibly because the tournament has to be hard-coded? Either way, I have no way of looking at it more closely to determine if that's where the bug is.

Question: what if I removed the qualified teams instructions and instead assigned the "get last winner/runner-up/etc." commands to pick the teams? For example: For the 4 US slots, I'd have "get last winner and get last runner-up" for MLS, "get last winner" of the Supporter's Shield (best record during the MLS season) and the "get last winner" of the US Cup? I'd then have to change things around and assign them all to the same seeding to address another bug (US and Mexican teams can't play against each other in the group stage, but that's impossible in-game due to the Canadian MLS clubs being counted as US-based, which gives 5 US teams and 4 Mexican teams but only 8 groups.)

Question:

After changing the rules of the tournament, is it safe to remove the nation assignment from the database? If I try and test the competition while keeping it assigned to Mexico, I get the "found 0 teams" error message for the CL. If I remove the league from Mexico, does it undo all of the changes that I made?

Hmm...I can't use the nation that I assign the tournament to without testing it in the editor. Each time I try and test it, I get a "wrong number of teams" message, and in the test/competition section it's displaying the number of teams at 31, not 24. I replaced all of the rules for selecting teams (from get qualified teams to getting competition winners/etc.) and even removed the registered teams for the 2013-14 CL. I'm thinking that the issue stems from the fact that I'm trying to implement the new rules for qualification (which nations receive how many births) but the game is still automatically assigning some teams to the tourney, based on the old rules (maybe they're hard-coded?)

Guess I may just have to make the NACL an extinct competition and try to create a new version and test it...

Well, it didn't work. Competition still played fine, but the teams were wrong--as were the seedings.

Questions:

The registered teams that are in the database for 2013 should all play, correct? But even though I've changed their seedings, they're still following the default setting and being grouped incorrectly as per real-life rules. I'm trying to keep the MLS teams from being placed in the same group as Mexican teams, but the game counts the Canadian MLS teams as American, so this causes the groupings to go out-of-whack as it's impossible to keep 9 teams separate in 8 groups. However, by following the qualifying rules for 2014-2015, I can tweak the seedings to prevent such a problem; I just haven't been able to get to work.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Place the 4 American teams and 4 Mexican teams in the first pot/seeding.

Place 2 Costa Rican, 2 Guatemalan, 2 Honduran and 2 Panamanian teams in the second.

Place 2 El Salvadorian, 1 Nicaraguan, 1 Belizean and 1 Canadian/American team (according to the rules, Canadian teams can be placed with either US or Mexican teams) along with the winner, runner-up and third-placed teams from the Caribbean Football Union Club Championship.

The 4 American teams will be the winner and runner-up of MLS (the two teams playing in MLS Cup) along with the Supporter's Shield winner (best regular-season team) and the winner of the US Cup.

The 4 Mexican teams will be the finalists from the Opening and Closing Cup tournaments.

The Canadian/American team is the winner of the Canadian Championship.

The other nations are to set winner/runner-up or winner of their respective leagues (which are not playable) with the Caribbean teams being self-explanatory.

So...I guess the big question is how do I do this? Where, exactly, do I go about placing the new rules to look for teams? I've tried it placing them under the stage/stage 0/teams tab, but that didn't work. Do I instead place them under the NACL/qualified teams section? And then use the stage/teams to "pick qualified teams for comp"?

Again, thanks for all the help so far!

Update:

Well my last attempt from the previous post almost worked; I got the right teams into the tournament, but the groupings are still messing up. I'm still ending up with the odd groups that are all US/Mexican teams and, conversely, lacking any US/Mexican team. I have the "use seeds as pots" option (or whatever it's called) activated, but that didn't seem to work. Any suggestions on something that I'm overlooking?

where the stage settings are, find group settings and click add to valid group rules....the drop down box will give you option to keep teams apart

That's part of what is causing the problem, though: The game recognizes the Canadian qualifier as a US team, which gives the game nine teams to separate but only 8 groups. I'm trying to use the pots to better reflect how it works in real-life...which is odd, as technically the rules are correct but the placing of the Canadian teams in the US throws everything off.

Follow-up question:

How would I go about selecting the Mexican teams for the CL? I'm trying to get the winner and runner-up of the opening and closing stage playoffs. However, there is no separate competition entry for each playoff, so I can't use the "get winner/runner-up" command, correct? Do I use the "get league stage teams" command and set it for cup1 (opening) and cup2 (closing) and select two teams (0,1) or does that simply grab the first two teams at the beginning of the playoffs instead of the winner/runner-up?

For clarity, I'm doing this under the "qualified teams" section under the NACL, and for the group stage section I've kept the "get qualified teams" and seeding commands under the "teams" instruction.

Archived