We're On A Road To Nowhere Come On Inside

James430

I used to be a member of these forums some time ago but I cannot remember any of my details or associated email address, so I have had to start afresh. I have decided to jump in and that I will start a career thread.

Selected Leagues

Bulgaria

Croatia

England

Finland

France

Germany

Holland

Hungary

Italy

Norway

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

Sweden

Spain

Switzerland

I have chosen these leagues as it gives me a nice scope of leagues and should bring up a few interesting teams for me to start with.

I have no real aims with this save. I would like to manage in some of the more obscure nations that I have chosen. I would also like to manage some of the big teams in the obscure nations like Basel, Partizan and Slovan Liberec.

Inspiration for this save has come from the tremendous threads done by AK22, Deltablue and SRL88 amongst many others.

As I said I was on here a while ago under a different name which has been unfortunately lost. I have only recently decided to come back to Football Manager with FM14 having not played for a few years so it will take me some time to get back to it, so this may be a story of failure for a while until I master the game, so bare with me please. I have never really been one for having multiple saves running at once so this will be one and only save. I feel the leagues I selected give me plenty of options to freshen up when ever I feel the need to. I will also look to add and remove at will as well.

I went off on a little holiday to start off my new career as a football manager. The first job to come up was in the Slovakian Second Division with a team called FC STK 1914 Samorin they do not have a great deal of history to review but the most important thing was that team did not have a manager at this stage as he had been sacked due to a poor start to the season.

STK-Samorin.png

They were only 7 games in and the manager has already been given the boot because of this performance.

714c1ad4-2acd-4ad7-8e98-3061faf130f4_zps52a500a0.jpg

I was slightly worried about the seemingly trigger happy finger of the board as I felt the past manager had been sacked prematurely. However I could not look a gift horse in the mouth and I took the job.

League Expectations - To gain a respectable position

Slovak Cup Expectations - 3rd Round

I am slightly unsure about the cup expectation as I do not know how the cup works here or what round I enter at so that will have to remain a work in progress.

Regarding the league I feel that with the players I have at my disposal here I should achieve that with relative ease. I feel like I will have to get the squad moving quickly as the board has already stated that they seem happy to get rid of managers and that they have little patience with them.

Wage Budget - at present the club are spending £6012 on wages I am allowed about another £100

Transfer Budget - Nothing to spend

I am not too worried about the budgets as they seem fair enough. As far as I can tell the window is not shut and the squad that I have should achieve this fairly easily.

FC STK 1914 Samorin – Slovakian Second Division – Halfway Stage - 2013/2014

STK-Samorin.png

b6846ee6-54df-4111-9dd0-10dbc5fe90b4_zps8486de89.jpg

ac7c4039-9d67-429e-871a-b995f1aa0914_zps288289af.jpg

First things first the Slovak Cup, the board wanted me to get to the third round but unfortunately they were knocked out in round 1, before I joined. The board have quiet kindly advised that I would not be judged on the performances in this cup this year.

As per my previous post things were not going too well for Samorin before I took over. I took a look at the squad and it seemed strong enough to be competing at this level and I could not understand why the team were so far into the mire as there were certainly teams much worse. My first task was getting my tactics and system into place with a demoralised squad this was never going to be an easy task.

Things were made much easier by the fact that my first wage was against Trnava B the only team who had performed worse than us this year, we were not great in this game and only won with a last minute goal. A win is a win though and I was happy to begin my reign with three solid points. We then went onto loose our next two games as we tried to get to grips with my system. All of a sudden it clicked as we destroyed a decent Duslo Sala team in an absolute white wash. The game against Michalovce was always going to be tough as they were one of if not the best teams in this league, it was a close game but in the end a late goal from them was enough to see us off.

To end the first half of the season we won our final 5 games in very convincing manner, against some very decent teams. All of a sudden the table going into the second half of the season looks very tight. I am not going to start believing that we could go up but we have a chance if we continue this barnstorming form. Its always going to be tough to go up with only the winners of the league being promoted but we stand every chance, we are by far the in form team at the moment and I think this places us in a good a position as any one. I am slightly concerned that we have a Christmas break coming up and I hope that this does not effect us too much.

In the break I will have a young Bulgarian winger joining us as my first signing with this club. I will also look to tie up some contracts for the following year if I can.

FC STK 1914 Samorin – Slovakian Second Division - 2013/2014

STK-Samorin.png

fa9d7966-3763-4833-80ca-d50d97f934cb_zps6cfbf5fb.jpg

02214202-b05e-43b2-b1a6-4c30c60d04f2_zpsda767280.jpg

As I have put into the past posts when I took over here the club were in dire straights. The club were in a poor position in the league and they had already been knocked out of the cup. I knew I had my work cut out here but I felt like it was a decent opportunity.

The first half of the season was great and I knew that I would only need to keep the form up till the end of the year to stand a chance of actually even winning this league. I knew it would be a long shot but given the form we were in and also how close the league table was I really felt like we had a chance.

I lost my very next game to a side who I really should have beaten, we then ended the pre Christmas section of the league with a draw and a defeat. I then had a bit of time off to try and build the squad and to get the squad I had to sign new deals. Unfortunately none of these things happened, I would have to complete the remainder of the season with what I had at my disposal. Out of the first six games after the Christmas break I won 5 and drew only one keeping up my fantastic form. At this stage it was enough to put me at the top of the table.

As I was so close to the top of the table and close to clinching the title, the team got a little nervous and lost the next two games, somewhat surprisingly. I then won the next two games against two very poor teams and then got a draw against a team we could have beat and in all fairness should have beat and would have was it not for a late goal. In the final two games we played two very poor teams and got the points we needed to secure a surprising title and promotion.

Career Overview

Season     Club             League                      Position   Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14   Samorin           Slovakian Second Division    1st       Champions          

I really like here and I am looking forward to testing my hand in the top league in Slovakia. I am really not too sure how we will fair in the league but I am hoping we will have enough about us to stay up. I am not going to be looking at a move unless something pretty special comes and lands on my doorstep.

FC STK 1914 Samorin – Slovakian First Division – Halfway Stage - 2014/2015

STK-Samorin.png

a59fcf69-ec2d-4f73-8478-0795026ed1f7_zpsdc1586f1.jpg

16ae65f6-1917-4dca-8db5-e586195a38a4_zpsb2f1b22e.jpg

Ok mid way through this season an update slightly earlier than I expected to do so but the reasons at to why will become much clearer later on. I began the season against a team that I really expected to need to beat if I wanted to stay in this league and I did just that. I then only one out of my next 5 games including in the opening round of the Cup.

I managed to hold my own in the next few games and I got a couple of wins and a draw to really put myself in a decent position in the league. Then the big boys of the league came to town and I lost all three games. I ended this half of the league season with three wins in 5 and this left me in a very solid position in the league.

28d3d10c-a252-41ed-ac49-cf153047aefa_zpscfa6d173.jpg

I then got this offer in through my inbox. They are huge club and previously have been one of the best teams in Europe. This time round they are really struggling and find themselves in the relegation zone in Hungary. Last year they finished 4th and earned themselves a spot in the Europa League, although they did get knocked out in the first round. I am really unsure what to do here.

Pro’s are that they are a much bigger club with a much bigger potential. Saromin are also going to loose all but one of their players at the end of the year as they run out of contract and they do not have the budget to renew at the moment.

Cons I really like Saromin and have become somewhat attached to them. I also feel it may be a little too early to move. I just don’t know, also I know someone else is doing a Honved thread on here.

I would have gone Honved. But then, when I left my team, I got sacked, so what do I know?

It was a really tough decision as Honved is the exact type of club I see myself with long term and with the impending doom that happened here in the summer with a further reduction in wage bill and most of my squad leaving at the end of their contracts it was tough

FC STK 1914 Samorin – Slovakian First Division - 2014/2015

STK-Samorin.png

ac76c343-08b7-48ac-8049-9bfacd27d6f4_zps186f914c.jpg

156eb17d-ce3e-42d0-a83d-eaa3a2d0a746_zps0956ebf8.jpg

So obviously the first thing to look at was the offer from Honved and the reasons why I turned it down. Firstly I was considering it due to our awful financial plight and the fact that my already small wage budget was going to be reduced and that most of my squad would not renew their contracts. Despite this I decided to stay because I felt that Samorin was a team I was really becoming attached to. I loved the fact that my small team had been promoted to the First Division and was really holding their own. I felt that the least I could do was see out the season and ensure that survival was secured. I could then deal with whatever came in the Summer.

I began the second half of the season against the team who last year somewhat surprisingly won the title. This year they were struggling and I was slightly disappointed to come out with only a draw, especially considering I had to rescue the draw late on. We then faced three much bigger sides than us, we came out with one solid win and two very good draws. One thing I am really pleased about with this side is the grit and determination not to get beat. We are a really tough side to beat and that is so important when you lack the talent that other teams have at their disposal.

We then went on a 3 game winning streak in which we even managed a very comfortable win over the biggest team in Slovakia Slovan Bratislava. This really shown us to be one of the teams that may be in contention for the title, in our next 6 games we won 4 of our next 6 games and drew the other two. With four games left this put us in a spot where we could win the title which was simply unreal.

First up was the league leaders at the time, Senica, we outclassed them in every department and came away with a very professional 2-0 win. Next up was a side who not be causing us any trouble at this stage and they didn’t as we battered them. We then faced Zilina, we knew that a win would put us in the driving seat for the title. It was not to be as we struggled to a 1-1 draw. Before our next game all the other games in the league were played and we played a day later. In our final game we faced Slovan Bratislava we were on 59 points two points behind Senica, a win would give us the title. We scored first and held on till half time. They scored just after and then we grabbed the winning goal in dramatic fashion. Somehow we were Slovakian Champions.

Career Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15   Samorin           Slovakian First Division     1st       Champions       

So for next year, I will be here and to be fair I am actually looking forward to it. I know I am going to have do a bit of a rebuilding job in the summer but I have already got a few signed up and I am sure I wont have to much of an issue getting a few more names in. the wage budget has been decreased but some of the big earners are off my books. I am also really looking forward to the Champions Cup where I will be facing Partizan Belgrade in the opening round. It will be a tough match but one I feel like I have every chance to win. I am desperate to make some money in this competition to alleviate the financial problems I am having.

In the league I would like to defend my title. I am not sure if we will be good enough to win the title again but we should certainly be a top half team pushing for Europe at least. I also would like a bit of a cup run, we have not had one since I have arrived and I feel like its time we strung one together.

FC STK 1914 Samorin – Slovakian First Division - 2015/2016

STK-Samorin.png

Well I have decided to leave Slovakia.

I left the club as we only had 1 point in 7 games. The board this year had expected me to challenge for the title and instead I found myself at the bottom of the league. The summer clearout had obviously effected the club a lot more than I felt it would do. The fact that I was so done over with the wage budget in the summer has lead to this and even with the money I earned this year I have still been unable to increase it.

In Europe we had been superb, we dispatched Partizan Belgrade, Sarjevo before succumbing to Maribor. This found us in the Europa League Group Stages. Unfortunately I will not be around to take this club into these games. It was great to have a taste of European Football so early on.

My reason for leaving was a selfish one. I did not want to be sacked and I saw no way to turn round the bad form. I had a tight wage bill and no more room to manoeuvre anything out of it. I feel that I have left the club in a much better position than when I found it. Even the finances have been sorted thanks to the European money. I will always look back at my time in Slovakia fondly but for now its time to move onto bigger and better things.

Career Overview

2015/16   Samorin           Slovakian First Division     10th      Left in September

As to where to next I am unsure, I would love to be at a club for a good few years now after the early exit here. I do not feel like I have proven myself enough to get a job in major European country so I may look to move to one of the smaller ones again or look out into South America maybe. Either way I do not intend to be out of work for very long.

Really good second season, unlucky with the third but at least you managed to win two league titles in your short time at the club.
Definitely needed to go at that point.

Cheers lads. I felt like I had to go at this point before I ruined anything with this club.

Club Atletico Penarol – Uruguayan First Division - 2016/2017

pe%25C3%25B1arol.gif

So after leaving Slovakia, I went looking for a new job. I had offers from numerous teams across Europe but I was unable to find one where I felt that I would connect with the club.

As the summers months came I made a few changes to my league set up and added the Argentinean Leagues and the Uruguayan Leagues, the reasons for this were two fold. One I felt it would add some South America flair to the players I was able to find and secondly it was where I felt I most passionate about being next.

A few more months passed with no offers although in October I attended interviews with Lanus and Newells I would have taken either job but they were not offered. I got offered an interview with one of the biggest clubs in this part of the world Penarol. I attended and I was offered the job which I immediately snapped up.

I was amazed to be given the chance at such an illustrious club, I really felt like this was a huge step up in reputation for me and a massive chance for me to win a few more trophies. Whilst I know in the past Uruguay has been somewhat of a graveyard for managers on Football Manager with crazy sackings, I am really hoping I will be given the chance to push on.

Penarol hold the record for the most titles in Uruguay with 37 titles. It has also won the Copa Libertadores 5 times. The last time was in 1987.

We are in our 125 years celebration with Penarol so I am hoping I can celebrate with a title. In the Opening Stage of the League the team were awful and they finished a lowly 10th. In the closing stage 8 games in things are going much better we are second in the league, but the outgoing manager still had not do enough to save his job after debacle of the Opening Stage. I will be hoping to kick on here and maybe push on to win the Closing Stage of the League.

My aim long term with Penarol will be to restore them as one of the best teams in South America. I also intend to build up the teams using Youth Players who will eventually break into the National Team. I am really excited about this chance and fully intend to grab it with both hands.

Im going to sound like a child when hes presented with his first real book at school, but i'd like to see more pictures :) lol!

Great read, and great success so far but I'd love to see some more pictures of the club, team, stadium, players etc....on your journey. Especially as there not your average everyday run of the mill teams that you see many people taking control of.

Keep up the good work.

Im going to sound like a child when hes presented with his first real book at school, but i'd like to see more pictures :) lol!

Great read, and great success so far but I'd love to see some more pictures of the club, team, stadium, players etc....on your journey. Especially as there not your average everyday run of the mill teams that you see many people taking control of.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers for reading and the nice comments. I will get more photos into my updates to try and give you a better look at the club and the players

pe%25C3%25B1arol.gif

My first season in Penarol started in March with the group stages of the Copa Libertadores. We were unable to get a result as we lost my opening game, which along with the opening defeat and a draw (which I was not hear for), put us firmly at the bottom of the table. In the next game two weeks later against the same team we lost against we really showed how far we had come with a commanding win. We won against the team which I have done as the poor team in the group in a hard fought game. Going into the last game things were tight, I knew a win would put us into the next round, it was not to be as we could only manage a draw which saw us out of the competition. I was however very happy with how we had dealt with this competition, better things will come in the next few years.

7d3761ec-f5a0-40b2-9dd5-63b78004b348_zps53f67413.jpg

The League was more straightforward, I won my first three games in the league all in very commanding performances. The highlight of which was a 6-0 destroying of Nacional. We then hit somewhat of a dip in form as we could only manage a draw against one of the poorer teams in the league before a win against a decent team, but we played very badly. We then lost against one of our title rivals, the defeat was coming and we deserved to loose. We then won our final two games of the year which resulted in us winning the Closing Stage title. This put us in the title play offs, against the Wanderers. We beat them in the first round playoff, but as winners of the overall league table the Wanderers get another shot. We lost the first leg 3-1 at home which was a massive disappointment, we managed to secure a 2-0 win in the away leg but this was not enough to give us the title as we lost it on away goals.

Fixtures

Closing Stage

Overall League

Gonzalo Latorre - What a player one of the best players in my league, and this year he has managed to secure the player of the year and also managed to get top goal scorer. In the summer some Romanian clubs were after him but I can see no reason why he would want to leave this club for a club in Romania. I think next year he will get better and will take this league by storm. I really think he could be a player who do well in a Continental competition.

Alenjandro Alvarez - Here is a quality player, a great young defender who seems to be able play either left back or right back. I think he may be able to improve on his youth international caps with a few more and maybe even a senior cap in the near future.

Career Overview

2015/16   Samorin           Slovakian First Division     10th      Left in September
2016/17   Penarol           Uruguayan First Division     4th       Took over in March, Closing Stage Winners 

I was very pleased with how this year had gone. I was a little bit gutted not to have secured the title but I will have plenty of chances for this in the coming years. The Copa Libertadores was a slight shame but again there is plenty of time in the future for this. I have managed to secure a few more young players to come into add to the squad for next year. My only concern is that for some reason my jab status is now Insecure, god knows why but I really hope I have done enough to keep my job for next year as I really feel like we could kick on.

82c1b1e6-f7f2-444a-a918-18075dcd0538_zps8f3514e8.jpg

Confidence

Finances

pe%25C3%25B1arol.gif

840c61ce-d091-4f7f-b9d5-a0405ade21d5_zpseaf37e21.jpg

22bbefaa-d714-48ec-908e-d6cb4c8261f5_zps34f8030d.jpg

My first full season in Uruguay began with a very busy summer transfer dealings. 8 came in for just under a million and 7 left for just under £500,000, I was very happy with what happened over the summer. It made my squad much younger and although I feel that we may be a little less talented this year than we were last year we defiantly have more potential this year.

We began the season with a relatively easy game in which we took control and managed to record a solid opening day win. I was slightly disappointed with my next loss as I wanted to stay unbeaten for a while this year, I also felt that it was to a poor side but I proved wrong about this later in the year.

We then only managed to win two of our next five games as we hit a bit of dodgy form. What was more frustrating is that the wins that we did record were amazingly dominant, we really should have taken more points from this section but it was not to be and it left us a way off the pace. We continued our poor form winning only two of our next four games which included another defeat for us, this just put us further down the league. We ended this section with four straight wins, but at this stage the damage was already done. We were good enough for third but it could have been so much more.

In the closing stage I will be looking for much more consistency. I really think we should win the closing league and we also should have a decent shout of winning the overall League as well which will make things easier for us in the playoffs. I am also desperate to get out of my group in the Copa Libertadores. The board seemed to be satisfied with my current progression, I am really hoping I can do enough to keep them happy for the remainder of the year.

Club Atletico Penarol – Uruguayan First Division - 2017/2018

pe%25C3%25B1arol.gif

In the Copa Libertadores this year we did much better, we contested a relatively easy group and came through as winners. We began in Mexico and in a very end to end game we managed to come out on top. We managed to draw our next game before winning our next two with relative ease, this was enough to send us into the next round. We seemed to take our foot off the gas a little as we only got one point from our remaining two games. This was enough to keep us top but it was annoying to be off the pace.

We then faced Toluca from Mexico. In two very close and hard fought games we did enough to come out on top and to seal our place in the quarterfinals. We faced Fluminense of Brazil, this was a massive step up from the past teams we faced. I was not expecting much from this game as they we much better than us, in the end it was closer than I expected as we went through on away goals only.

54105b36-054e-4807-b662-96ee0706cd5e_zpsabdc0e13.jpg

e4037907-6a42-46ac-94bc-848bb56cd17f_zpsebb543c6.jpg

We began the Closing Section of the League, we a decent win against a fairly poor team one of the worst in the league. I then faced the champions from the first section where I got beat by simply a better team. We then only won of our next three games against a massively out of form team, the two draws were against teams that we really should be beating. We again had a section of three games where we won one and lost two which but us down in ninth. This was not good enough and the board were once again unhappy. We won two of our final four games and drew the remaining two, this was no way near good enough for us as a team.

Fixtures

Closing Stage

Overall League

Kevin Mendez - A player who started the year as someone who was not even getting on the bench. By the end of the year he was a player who was one of the first named on the team sheet. I am unsure how good of a player he can become but I am hoping he repeats this year next year.

Marcos Ben - Came through last year from the Youth Team, he was fantastic last year when he came in and this year he became a better player and got more games under his belt he is one player who I think will be here for a long time and will eventually cement a spot in Defence

Career Overview

2016/17   Penarol           Uruguayan First Division     4th       Took over in March, Closing Stage Winners 
2017/18   Penarol           Uruguayan First Division     4th

This season was a poor one for us. I expected more from us as a team but we did not seem to kick on at all. We were unable to put together any sort of form which was not good enough. All year long I also had my job status as Insecure, whilst I can see why the board may be unhappy with this seasons performance I am unsure as to why such Job Insecurity was carried over from last year. As to next year I am unsure as what to do, whilst I don’t want to jump ship here too early I also do not like the fact my job has been insecure since I pretty much started here.

Finances

Motherwell – Scottish Premier League- 2018/2019

motherwell.gif

So once again its time for me to leave for Pastures new.

I resigned from Penarol immediately following the last season, the reasons for this were mainly down to the fact that I did not want to continue with my job under pressure. I also was not enjoying Uruguay as much as I thought I may have done. It did not quiet live up to what I thought it could have been in Uruguay.

As to where next for me, I have decided Scotland will be my next destination. After being offered jobs with Dundee United, Hibs and Dundee. After Stuart McCall left Motherwell for Dundee United, Motherwell then came knocking and offered me a job. They have not won any major trophy in Scotland since 1991, I will be looking to change this before I leave Scotland. They have doing pretty well in Scotland since the game began but have been doing terrible in Europe when they have managed to get in, this is something else I would like to change.

da62cf44-96ef-4a0e-ab88-2cfe681f1fd2_zps71a38478.jpg

Motherwell– Scottish Premier League- 2018/2019

motherwell.gif

I decided to go to Scotland with Motherwell. The club had been performing well under Stuart McCall being 4th in the league and into the League Cup Semi Final. He had made the odd decision to leave to go to Dundee United. I was really pleased to be given this chance and felt that it was a decent chance for progression into Europe, the press had asked if I thought this was a step down from Uruguay and well in terms of reputation it may be but to be in a secure job that’s always a step up in my eyes.

bbd334d5-95c4-4c11-ba7f-f9c57dd717f0_zpsa25d4907.jpg

f7232e6c-c034-44b0-aaf3-fbf5ce6274fe_zps9b7659fe.jpg

My first game in charge as usual ended in defeat to a side that we really should be beating. I am hoping for bigger and better teams once the club gets used to my tactics and set up. We then beat a Dundee United which was great for the club as that is where the old manager has defected to. We then had a double header against Celtic, firstly in the league where we succumb to a massive defeat. We held our own in the League Cup Semi Final loosing on penalties in a close match. We won our next five games in fantastic fashion, this really set us up in a fantastic position to secure our position as one of the teams just below Celtic in the league. We have no chance of the league but considering our recent form we could hit second in the league.

We then hit a bit of a slide in the league we only won one of our next 4 games and drawing another. This was not good enough and pretty much ended our hopes of finishing second. We had at this point managed to secure our position in the Champions Group. It could not have gone much worse as we lost our first 5 games, this was awful and could have knocked us out of European Competition. We only just managed to get into Europe by winning our last game to secure 4th place finish. It could have been so much better.

Ashley Ryan - Solid centre back who was not being used to much before I came. After I arrived I had decided that he was one of my better players and gave him first team status. He will be an important part of our Defence for a good few years as he is still only very young.

Anthony Irwin - Striker who left Cork in the summer, I am unsure as to why he was let go by Cork as he would have tore the Irish League apart. He will do well in Scotland for us and has already become the best striker at the club, he will only get better over time as well.

Career Overview

2018/19   Motherwell        Scottish Premier League      4th

Next season I will look to continue to bring in my own players and staff. I will also look to improve on my league position as I felt that I could have hit second place in the league this year. I am looking forward to another season in Europe, I am not sure as to how far we will get in this, it will be all very much dependant on how well we do in the off season.

Finances

Motherwell– Scottish Premier League- 2019/2020

motherwell.gif

Well that did not work out any where near as well as I was hoping for it to do.

7939452d-448a-4246-a346-905629e7f55a_zps8b04005d.jpg

36c429e4-eacb-4ef2-85fc-55f869dbfe96_zpsa3cd4e40.jpg

We began very poorly going out to an early exit in Europe without and real fight. I was far from pleased about this as it was not good enough at all. I began my league season with a run of poor form that was seemingly carried over from last season, I was less than happy about this as we faced teams early on in the league that we really should have been beating,

In the end I was given my marching orders, to be honest I think that me getting sacked was about right I was not performing well enough in my role as manager. I expected to be doing much better this year for reasons that I am unable to explain it did not happen and I was sacked. As to where next I am unsure, I am pretty certain it will be in Europe I would like it to be a decent sized club in a decent sized league but I am not going to be too picky.

Career Overview

2018/19   Motherwell        Scottish Premier League      4th
2019/20   Motherwell        Scottish Premier League      9th    Sacked

Archived