Non football costs and other

What are they and why do they rise so suddenly and for no obvious reason. My NFC's have almost doubled and last month my other costs were my main expenditure. If this trend continues it will be a real game breaker for me as I'm trying to save up for a new stadium and don't want to sell my top players.

I'm in the premiership with Grimsby, there are no derby games,lol.

What annoys me most is we are in the same comps as last few seasons, but these uncontrollable costs keep rising. I've read somewhere before that NFC are amongst other things travel and accomodation, as I was in same comps ie, epl, league cup, fa cup and champs league, I just don't know why they rise so much. And as for 'other' £5million a month for 'other', yet I have no idea what this is.

If anyone from SI could let us know at least it could be justified, but this is really annoying me.

It's the consequence of your rising reputation. When you succeed, your club's reputation increases and you're able to attract better footballers and more fans. But to keep reputation at that high level, it costs all kinds of stuff like ads, facilities, etc.

In real life the biggest expense from the clubs is normally wages that take a large part of their turnover, since on FM it's somewhat easy to get quality players without spending a lot on wages, these expenses are increased to act as a cost sink to balance the finances.

That's my theory anyway.

In real life the biggest expense from the clubs is normally wages that take a large part of their turnover, since on FM it's somewhat easy to get quality players without spending a lot on wages, these expenses are increased to act as a cost sink to balance the finances.

That's my theory anyway.

Based on little more than a poor understanding of the financial side of football?

This has been raised and covered many times on these forums. It is not a "game breaker" or a "bug" as it is exactly what it is meant to be and it is realistic. The point about your increasing reputation is about right for parts of it. But yeah, if you are really concerned, get a copy of your club's accounts for the past season and compare it to one for a Premier League side. It should become fairly clear...

That's my theory anyway.

If that's the case I'm even more annoyed. What is the point of me balancing my finances by keeping wages as low as I can, if the game is going to financially penalise me?

Based on little more than a poor understanding of the financial side of football?

This has been raised and covered many times on these forums. It is not a "game breaker" or a "bug" as it is exactly what it is meant to be and it is realistic. The point about your increasing reputation is about right for parts of it. But yeah, if you are really concerned, get a copy of your club's accounts for the past season and compare it to one for a Premier League side. It should become fairly clear...

I just want to know what makes up for NFC and what is meant by other. Not once have I claimed it to be a bug, and for me it is a game breaker as I will not be able to do the things I had wanted as we are never going to the finances to do it.

• Administrators

Lots of other things come under this, I believe things like non-football staff wages (such as say receptionists, ground staff etc) which will obviously increase dramatically as the club grows. I'm not 100% on all the ins and outs, but the figure is calculated as realistically as possible, even if it isn't always that clear to the user. That's something we're looking into.

I just want to know what makes up for NFC and what is meant by other. Not once have I claimed it to be a bug, and for me it is a game breaker as I will not be able to do the things I had wanted as we are never going to the finances to do it.

Sit down and look towards the screen, now think about a football club, now back to the screen, now about what it needs to run, now back to me, now back to running the club, and back to the screen again...

What do you think of? Just go through everything you think it would require for a club to run, firstly at the level you started at, then at Premiership level. Just list it all...

Completely understand that it does and should rise as the club gets bigger, my ground and facilities have been improved as has my junior coaching and recruitment network. But to have other and NFC as the largest expenditure and for it to almost double from one year to the next does not seem at all realistic.

I understand that there are other costs linked to the running of the football club, I have no problem with this. My issue which I believe has been made very clear is that for no tangible reason that I can see is that they have doubled in one season even though nothing I can see has changed.

Why it's a poor understanding of the financial side of football? Wages are the biggest expense that a club will normally have, UEFA reccomends that the wage/turnover ratio is at most 70% but many clubs spend a lot more than 70%, don't really see what i was said that was so wrong to warrant that arrogant response.

So it's normal on the Premiership to have more matchday expenses than matchday income?

Completely understand that it does and should rise as the club gets bigger, my ground and facilities have been improved as has my junior coaching and recruitment network. But to have other and NFC as the largest expenditure and for it to almost double from one year to the next does not seem at all realistic.

Think about it another way then. You have already said that you have a very low wage bill right? Your club has this extremely low wage bill meaning that it is much lower than other clubs in the league. You are however competing in other ways in terms of your ground and facilities with other clubs in the League, as well as other important aspect. As such, whilst your wage bill isn't as big as other clubs the non-footballing costs and other categories will be much closer to the other clubs and possibly on par with most of them, despite having a smaller wage bill. As such you get this odd situation where your main expenditure is these categories.

Think about it another way then. You have already said that you have a very low wage bill right? Your club has this extremely low wage bill meaning that it is much lower than other clubs in the league. You are however competing in other ways in terms of your ground and facilities with other clubs in the League, as well as other important aspect. As such, whilst your wage bill isn't as big as other clubs the non-footballing costs and other categories will be much closer to the other clubs and possibly on par with most of them, despite having a smaller wage bill. As such you get this odd situation where your main expenditure is these categories.

Then why did it double from one season to the next? We are in the same comps etc.

Why it's a poor understanding of the financial side of football? Wages are the biggest expense that a club will normally have, UEFA reccomends that the wage/turnover ratio is at most 70% but many clubs spend a lot more than 70%, don't really see what i was said that was so wrong to warrant that arrogant response.

So it's normal on the Premiership to have more matchday expenses than matchday income?

Most clubs get away with having more than 70% of their turnover on wages because they live beyond their means. Most clubs run a loss and having massive debts, especially in the Premier League. That is why UEFA are bringing in these rules. Even running at 70% is over what clubs really should be spending, but its a compromise. In terms of the OP as said he spends very little on wages as compared to his league. Say it is a 70-30 slip of wages to other expenditures (which is very unrealistic) then you'd have a situation where if you spent only a third as much as a "normal club" of your stature then you'd be spending 23% on wages and 30% on other things (of which non-footballing costs and other are large components), which would mean that they are the largest costs. This is vastly simplified and I again suggest you actually look up some club's accounts (those who release theirs that is). Have a nice day.

Then why did it double from one season to the next? We are in the same comps etc.

Depends on how you did, if you expanded your training facilities and such, got more fans, sold more season tickets and merchandise etc.

If it was a case where you were in the midtable for the last 5 years and nothing changed and then it suddenly doubled then that would be odd. However, if you expanded your training facilities, had a top player emerge or signed a top player, the fan base increased, finished a lot higher than previous years and such, then its not usual that the club would hire more background staff (ones you don't interact with) and expanded other areas to accommodate these changes.

I actually normally look up my club(Benfica) financial reports, as an example on a 6 month period(they release reports twice a year) the equivalent for other/non-football costs/match day expenses is 9.8M, this on a six-month period.

It's not a premiership club but still has a 65k stadium so there's a lot of expenses anyway, if the OP has 5M/month expenses on "other" only then it seems a little excessive.

I actually normally look up my club(Benfica) financial reports, as an example on a 6 month period(they release reports twice a year) the equivalent for other/non-football costs/match day expenses is 9.8M, this on a six-month period.

It's not a premiership club but still has a 65k stadium so there's a lot of expenses anyway, if the OP has 5M/month expenses on "other" only then it seems a little excessive.

Depends if its one month or each and every month. I'd also question what you classified as those costs.

Won the league for last 2 years, so been in champs league also. Not signed any high profile players as I always sign youngsters and build them up, keeps wages down and helps with european registration. facilities have been upgraded every year along with recruitment network and junior coaching. I wouldn't consider any of these to be NFC. Facility upgrades come in ground maintenance. I understand I will have more non footballing staff at bigger facilities, but not an extra £8million (NFC went from £17million to £25 million and on course to rise again this year). Last year other was £11million and its currently £9million in September.

My highest earning player earns £40k pw that's £2,080,000 per year. The average wage in UK is £26k per year (half that in Grimsby, but I wouldn't expect Fm to track that). So if my staff are on the national average that would be 80 staff for that players wage. How many non footballing staff does a club at the top of EPL actually have?

Archived