what attributes most important for thru balls?

hi, my tactics revolve around my midfield and amcs (playing an el tel classic 4321) using thru balls to create goals. i'm unsure as to whether passing, creativity or decisions are the most important attributes for this style of play. not sure about creativity cos as i'm telling them what to do do they need to be creative?

all thoughts welcome!

thanks, neil

Creativity to see the gap for a through ball

Passing to execute it

Decisions to give it at the right time

Off the ball to find space and time to get the overview

Teamwork so he is more likely to pass instead of go for his own glory in the form of long shots and stupid dribbles

It's also very important that your strikers get on the end of the through ball, I'd say most important attributes for them would be:

Anticipation to see it coming

Acceleration/Pace to get there first

Off the Ball (ties in with anticipation)

Decisions to make his run at the right time

I think that's about it although there's probably more involved (like technique as a general factor to give the right pass, composure because as a playmaker he will be closed down alot and shouldn't panic and give a backpass, dribbling and agility to get past his man and create space for himself that way, he'll also attract more defenders so gaps will be forming for your forwards to run into,etc...)

Also take care not to overdo it on the through balls instructions. Through balls are always less likely to find their target than simple passes, so having your whole midfield attempting through balls all the time could result in you losing alot of possession

Not sure about flair, i think it's more to do with tricks and attempting harder stuff. I think it shouldn't be low, but not sure if it should be as high as possible.

And as for your initial doubts about creativity: i think it's about the most important attribute of them all. Creativity for the player means that he is able to spot opportunities easier. If you want him to do as he's told you should limit his creative freedom, which is another thing entirely

Creativity to see the gap for a through ball

Passing to execute it

Decisions to give it at the right time

Off the ball to find space and time to get the overview

Teamwork so he is more likely to pass instead of go for his own glory in the form of long shots and stupid dribbles

It's also very important that your strikers get on the end of the through ball, I'd say most important attributes for them would be:

Anticipation to see it coming

Acceleration/Pace to get there first

Off the Ball (ties in with anticipation)

Decisions to make his run at the right time

I think that's about it although there's probably more involved (like technique as a general factor to give the right pass, composure because as a playmaker he will be closed down alot and shouldn't panic and give a backpass, dribbling and agility to get past his man and create space for himself that way, he'll also attract more defenders so gaps will be forming for your forwards to run into,etc...)

Also take care not to overdo it on the through balls instructions. Through balls are always less likely to find their target than simple passes, so having your whole midfield attempting through balls all the time could result in you losing alot of possession

Not sure about flair, i think it's more to do with tricks and attempting harder stuff. I think it shouldn't be low, but not sure if it should be as high as possible.

And as for your initial doubts about creativity: i think it's about the most important attribute of them all. Creativity for the player means that he is able to spot opportunities easier. If you want him to do as he's told you should limit his creative freedom, which is another thing entirely

thanks that was great advice!

Composure is most important in front of goal and is naturally "tied in" with finishing, certainly that tends to be when it is most noticeable, so it is put in the shooting category for convenience. I agree with HHUK, concentration is essentially the defensive equivalent.

Creativity is "eye for a pass". That will help the player see the pass. Passing and to a lesser extent technique will help him actually make the pass, anticipation is probably tied in there too. Passing and creativity are definitely the two most important ones by a leg though.

Passing and technique: to execute a clean pass (perhaps you can even add first touch to this if a player is making a one touch pass, however, it's just a theory)

Creativity: to spot the opportunity to make a pass

Decisions: to make sure that it's indeed a good chance to make a pass

Anticipation: to time the pass well

Flair is optional, but the player with a high attribute will try more eccentric passes. It's almost like a multiplier for the other attributes.

I don't think the passer requires anticipation to play the through ball. I would say that is more required by the receiver, as he needs to anticipate the through ball coming. But I will agree that the passer needs:

1. Creativity - to see the opportunity

2. Decisions - to make sure this is the best option

3. Passing & Technique - to execute well

Archived