Stothy's False Nine

I recently stumbled across an article about a not so common football system called the false nine, It has been attempted by many teams most significantly in recent times by Manchester United (In the Ronaldo days) The team in essence plays with no attackers but uses the winger to cut in and shoot. The attack mid or the lone striker pulls the centre backs further forward by sitting deep and working in a play maker role.

I was very intrigued by whether this worked and after some research I saw that some people had attempted this not very successfully but it did work. So I set about my own tactic! Behold, Stothy's False Nine!

Woking%20%28Woking_%20Tactics%29-7.png

As you can see I opted for both the Attacker and Attack midfielder position. The Striker drops deep and the Attack midfielder attacks with the Wingers. I find the Attack mid to be the most deadly position of the lot! But goals are fairly spread out between players!

I don't like the new tactics system so I opted for the old one and It seems to have worked well! I would like your opinions and suggestions! I love it and 2 season in my Woking team are topping their league!

Stothy's False Nine v1

Stothy's False Nine v2

Currently Incorporates:

• False Nine
  • Nike Defence
  • 5x5 Attack/Defence
  • Elements of Kawee's Invincible's

Known Issues:

• Leaky Defence From Centre
  • Too direct passing
  • Can't Defend Throw ins!

Thanks to Kawee, aleksiss, Elhan and mojojojo101.

the problem with the many long shots does not have to do with your tactic necessarily. The game engine seems to allow for many long shots despite the tactic settings. As for defense i guess most goals come from the flanks as there are big gaps. Try to set DL and DR up to WL/WR... The whole thing seems interesting so i will try and come back

The tactics engine seemed bugged from the first minute! Whenever I go to change something If I don't save before doing something else it will reset itself! Also whenever I open up the tactics window it open immediately on player instructions when when I leave it on formation!

But tactics wise I will give this a go, it's an interesting addition, I assume you mean WB L/R not W L/R! I will change it when I get back home tonight and see where this goes, If it's any good I can assure you it will be included in the next release!

Have you considered the leaky defence may be rectified by putting your CM and DM next to each other. This way if an opposition player has the ball out wide there is a player closer by who is able to go and double up on him.

Long shots wise try lowering creative freedom...

Passing wise, for BSS level i don't suggest a short passing game, every time ive tried it my players have been hacked to bits.

Kawee's 433 Invincibles tactic had an awesome implementation of the false nine role, you might want to give it a look.

I will definitely have a look! Great to have people showing interest!

Have you considered the leaky defence may be rectified by putting your CM and DM next to each other. This way if an opposition player has the ball out wide there is a player closer by who is able to go and double up on him.

Long shots wise try lowering creative freedom...

Passing wise, for BSS level i don't suggest a short passing game, every time ive tried it my players have been hacked to bits.

Do you mean have CM and DM directly next to each other or LDM and RCM?

Ah I hadn't considered creative freedom! It is fairly High for all my attacking player that would be a major flaw! Only problem is I have my ACM like that as it makes him better in the pivotal role!

I have tried it and successfully got it to work in previous versions however everyone was complaining about how they were used to a more direct game! But teams like my team IRL have used a short passing game since they were in the conference (Doncaster Rovers) And it got them pretty far! But I will stick with it for now. Only Problem is, I feel again the the attack midfielder can be exploited more with quick One-Twos with the Attacking players!

Ok so with all these new updates you have suggested I have come to this conclusion:

Stothy's False Nine v2

Woking%20%28Woking_%20Tactics%29-7.png

It's very high scoring and it has solved my issues with the Wide defenders. However now I am getting too many goals from the centre! Should I bring back the DM? I am considering it.

Nothing else to report but all is going well! Any suggestions welcome yet again!

EDIT:

Can't Defend Throw ins!!!

Anyone fancy a little peak?

EDIT:

This is one of the sort of things a false 9 can achieve!

1.png

Jeffers is open for a pass being tracked by a centre back.

2.png

Jeffers receives and the centre back goes in to tackle him, leaving lots of room in the centre for Newton.

3.png

Newton recieve in a one on one position

4.png

Newton Scores!

Someone on a separate forum asked about how the false nine works with zonal defending and here is my answer:

I've always had one problem with the false nine. The theory is that the striker drops deep and pretends to be a classic no.9 physcial etc, and when he drops deep, the central defenders man mark and get dragged out of position which is exploited by inside forward, but surely if the opposing team uses zonal marking, they wont get dragged out of position which means it will fail.

Can someone clarify that?

Ahh yes this is one thing that people can be mistaken by, but let me draw you a diagram!

diagram.png

Each defender has there own zone, the stiker enters this Zone and the defender follow him. As the striker is on the edge of the area a massive gap appears, he could even track back a little bit as the CB is now set on marking him (to an extent of course!) so the AM or Wingers have loads of room in the centre to make a critical pass and score!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just updated the tactic for my league 2 endeavour with Woking! We are major underdogs after our overachieving finish last season so had to work with this, and I have to say I have had brilliant results!

WokingvPortsmouthSplitView.png

This result says it all! We beat a team recently in the prem (Now league 1) But we were in BSS 2 seasons ago!

Here is the Stothy's False Nine collection. Quite obvious how it will work. The Superstar and Evens tactics are not quite as good as I would like but the underdog! Wow!

Click here to access these files!

Another example of what it can do:

WokingvHartlepoolSplitView.png

• 2 weeks later...

I will share don't worry!

Well I'm currently in league 1 with my Woking side, going for the 3rd promotion in the row! Plus last season FA Cup semis knocked out by an Arsenal 1-0!

And striker wise, deep lying, long shots, dribbling, Flair, determination and creativity! Pace and Acceleration tooo!

okey... would u be able to write a little guide on the play features that every player needs .. fold which is the most important attributes are at each position .. ??? sorry for my bad english. using translation software

okey... would u be able to write a little guide on the play features that every player needs .. fold which is the most important attributes are at each position .. ??? sorry for my bad english. using translation software

It is expected in the next tactic :)

Stothy, i'm going to run a few games on my Leeds save with this, I like classic tactics and it looks like you've done really well.

I've got a couple of questions.

When do you use the underdog tactic, is this how you got the bolton result ?

Should I use a combination of the v2 in the OP and underdog ?

Do you use any OI ?

Any other pointers would be great, thanks in advance...

Stothy, i'm going to run a few games on my Leeds save with this, I like classic tactics and it looks like you've done really well.

I've got a couple of questions.

When do you use the underdog tactic, is this how you got the bolton result ?

Should I use a combination of the v2 in the OP and underdog ?

Do you use any OI ?

Any other pointers would be great, thanks in advance...

Hi! That is great! These are all very good questions and I may not be answer them all fully!

I use the underdog tactic when I am the underdog in a match (i.e. not the favourite) Yes it is how I got the bolton result and I my new tactic is in fact an updated Underdog tactic that has got me to the FA cup semis so hopefully that will work for you too!

I use the v2 very often if nothing else seems to be working, I find I score more with it but conceded a lot more too! So have a little mix and match and tell me what you think!

I use assistant OI but sometimes when playing tough teams I close down wingers and attack mids, show onto weaker foot or if they use the foot to cur in I show them on to the opposite foot therefore forcing them down the wings instead of shooting!

Hope that helps!

I'm using this instead of the immovable object being Juventus. I only played one match away against inter and i won 2-0. chiellini got sent off on the 70th minute and during the last 20 mins we grabbed the 2nd goal surely seems promising.

now as i can't seem to find it if you wrote it. the insider forwards would preferably be opposite footed? by this i mean does the AMR have to be left footed and the AML right footed. because honestly the aml spot is not hard to fill but to find lefties is already difficult and to have them play on the opposite side seems to be a sin in-game

I'm using this instead of the immovable object being Juventus. I only played one match away against inter and i won 2-0. chiellini got sent off on the 70th minute and during the last 20 mins we grabbed the 2nd goal surely seems promising.

now as i can't seem to find it if you wrote it. the insider forwards would preferably be opposite footed? by this i mean does the AMR have to be left footed and the AML right footed. because honestly the aml spot is not hard to fill but to find lefties is already difficult and to have them play on the opposite side seems to be a sin in-game

Yes yes, it is best because then they shoot but you will see that they swap position within the game therefore you want people who can play both positions, OR! Do as I do and go into training, positional training and put it to AML or AMR. Couple of months job DONE! :)

By the way, all (but one) of my F9 tactics are included in the immovable object pack so take a look there as well and comment there too as I am focussing on that more but will still reply to any questions on any tactic there! :)

Archived