FM11: Rotherham United Thread - In Alfie, Warro, Cressy we trust!

Craig_R.U.F.C

Welcome to the official Rotherham United discussion thread for FM11!

Offical Site - www.themillers.co.uk

Unofficial Forum - http://www.rotherhamunited-mad.co.uk/

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_United_F.C.

Rotherham_United_FC.png

Little bit of history

During the 1990s Rotherham were promoted and relegated between the Football League's lowest two divisions and they slipped into the Fourth Division in 1991, just two years being promoted, but reclaimed their status in the third tier (renamed Division Two for the 1992-93 season due to the launch of the FA Premier League) by finished third in the Fourth Division in 1992. They survived at this level for five years, never looking like promotion contenders, before being relegated in 1997.

In 1996, Rotherham United made their first trip to Wembley, beating Shrewsbury 2-1 to win the Football League Trophy, with two goals from Nigel Jemson giving Rotherham the win. This day was one of the proudest and most histric days with over 20,000 Rotherham United fans followed the club to the final at Wembley. In 1997, just after relegation to Division Three, one of the clubs greatest ever players Ronnie Moore took charge of Rotherham United and became the clubs greatest and most successful manager. His first season ended in a mid-table finish and then his second in a play-off semi final defeat on penalties to Leyton Orient. It was third time lucky in 1999-2000 as Rotherham finished as Division Three runners-up and gained promotion to Division Two. They were favourites to be relegated in 2000-01 season, but surprised many by finishing runners-up in Division Two and gaining a second successive promotion to Division One. They beat Brentford at a sold out Millmoor 2-1 with Alan Lee scoring the historic goal on one of the most historic days in the clubs history. During this highly successful campaign, Rotherham also comfortably beat Premiership side Southampton in the FA Cup.

Rotherham managed to remained in Division One for four seasons, their most successful of which was the 2002–03 campaign. The Millers were in contention for a play-off place, but dropped off near the season's end to finish 15th, their lowest position all season. During their time in the Championship they managed some historic wins including a two wins against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough, a home win against West Ham United. The 2nd season saw them finishing 17th with the highlight of the season been a 1–1 draw with Arsenal in the League Cup at Highbury.

During The 2004-05 season, the club struggled and spent most of the seaon bottom of the league and the club was bought by a consortium called millers 05 who caused many problems to the club including relegation, and Ronnie Moore resigned during the campaign. Mick Harford took over as Millers manager but was sacked after a run of 17 games without a win, to be replaced by Alan Knill. Early in 2006 it was announced that the club faced an uncertain future unless a funding gap in the region of £140,000 per month could be plugged. An eleventh hour intervention by a consortium of local businessmen kept them in business.The final match of the 2005-06 season, home to MK Dons, was a winner-take-all relegation showdown where a scoreless draw kept Rotherham up. Rotherham United began their second successive year in League One with a 10-point deficit as a result of the CVA which saved the club from liquidation. the club pulled the points back but by the end of February, the Millers sat 13 points adrift of safety, making the threat of relegation almost inevitable. This resulted in Knill being sacked on March 1, with Mark Robins becoming caretaker manager. Robins's position was made permanent on 6 April 2007, but he was not able to save Rotherham from relegation. The Millers spent the majority of the 2007–08 season in the automatic promotion places but in mid-March 2008 it was revealed that Rotherham had again entered administration and would be deducted 10 points.

Local businessman Tony Stewart then took over as Chairman for the 2008/09 season and took the club out of administration which resulted in a 17-point deduction. and been forced to leave Millmoor for the Don Valley Stadium, their home of over 100 years, after disputes with the landlords.The Millers had an impressive season under the new regime, quickly wiping out the point deficit and being in contention for a play-off place. Rotherham were also involved in two cup runs, reaching the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Northern Final, and the Carling cup last 16. This included victories over higher league opposition in the form of Wolverhampton Wanderers, Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday, Leicester City and Leeds United. Mark Robins kept the majority of the team together from the 2008/09 campaign whilst bolstering his squad with the signings of Tom Pope, Adam le Fondre, Nicky Law, and Kevin Ellison who were all regarded as big name signings. The 2009/10 season started well including a win over Derby County in the cup. The next week saw the millers narrowly losing 4-3 to West Brom after extra time. Manager Mark Robins then departed to rivals Barnsley with John Breckin who left the millers on Wednesday 9 September.

To the fans delight club legend Ronnie Moore was reappointed manager on Friday 25 September 2009. Jimmy Mullen was later confirmed as his assistant. Ronnie was previously a player and later the manager of the club, taking them from the third to first division and established them there for four years. In January 2010 it was announced that the Guest And Chrimes site had been purchased and would be the new home of the club within two years with a new 12,000 seat stadium. Ronnie led the club to their first ever play off final and first trip to the new wembley stadium. This game ended in a 3-2 loss in what was a thrilling final. Despite the loss it was a very memorable day in the clubs history.

In-game Club Info

Club Overview

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1884

Divison: Npower League 2

Chairmen Status: Loves the club

Legends: Matt Clarke, Ronnie Moore

Icons: Alan Lee, Tony Towner, Mark Robins, Paul Hurst, Mike Pollit, Steve Thompson, Nigel Jemson, Shaun Goater, Chris Sedgwick, Alan Crawford, Rodney Fern, Paul Warne.

Favoured personnel: Bobby Williamson, Martin McIntosh, Chris Swailes, Will Hoskins.

Fierce Rivals: Sheffield Wednesday, Chesterfield

Other Rivals: Sheffield United, Doncaster Rovers, Barnsley, Leeds, Huddersfield

Finances: Okay

Average Ticket Price: 18.00

Average Season Ticket Price: 340

Season Ticket Holders: 1,600

Estimated Value: 1.3m

Media Prediction: 1st

Captain: Ryan Creswell

Vice Captain: TBA

Club Finances

Balance: 519k

Transfer budget: 50k(65k if you choose winner, wages stay the same though)

Wage Budget: Currently spending 17.9k out of 18.75k, though will be increased when asked to about 21k.

The Squad

0,,10360~9115992,00.jpg

Goalkeepers

Andy Warrington – The golden oldie of a goal keeper! Warrington is one of the best in the league in game and in real life. He’s very experienced and at the age of 34 he still has one or two more years left in him so I’d suggest keeping hold of him but plan a new keeper at the end of the season.

Jamie Annerson – Currently back up to ‘Warro’ and even though shown signs of improvement in real life he does not seem to be able to live up to it in game so look to a better back up possibly the future replacement of Warrington as well.

Left Backs

Tom Newey – Joined on a free in the summer after being released from Bury. Consistant performer, good pace on him and can defend very well. Should be your first choice while you get Green to develop a little more, maybe rotation of the two could benefit.

Jamie Green – Back up for the time being but will become a good player in the future. Possibly League 1 standard so keep an hold of him.

Centre Backs

Nick Fenton – Most experienced centre back on our books & been in this division for a long time along with experience in the 2 league above. He is surely a starter along side the captain.

Ryan Cresswell – Rotherham born and bred, also joined in the summer from Bury but for a compensation fee due to his age. 22 years old and captain of his home town club what more can you ask for?! Defiantly another starter in your search for promotion this season. He will score you a few set piece goals as well specially from corner so make sure you use him right in that respect.

Luke Ashworth – Young boy from Leyton Orient on a freebie. Inexperianced but very fast for a centre back, can also play right back if needed. Will be used as back up and good enough as back up until you start climbing the divisions.

Right Backs

Johnny Mullins – One of the best right backs in the league by far. Come on a free too from Stockport in the summer, he can also play in the centre back position if needed will provide cover there. With high work rate he’ll work for you none stop and will provide constant threat down the right hand side.

Dale Tonge – Sadly, very injury proned but a good player to match. Will provide strong cover for the right back place and can be pushed into RM if squad manages to get depleted. Don’t push him too much in training or play him in all weekday games.

Left Mid

Kevin Ellison – Experianced Left Mid, aswell as a striker. But lacking in pace but everything else is spot on. Best as a winger but not the fastest out of them all so keep that in mind. Would look to replace or use as back up if you managed to get promotion. A top character though.

Stephen Brogan – Still a fan favourite here at Rotherham but with only half a dozen games since getting injured in 2007 means he has fallen out of favor and many people have forgotten the amazing talent he had before he got injured. After being downgraded he still looks alright for league 2 so keep hold of him and see what happens.

Centre Mid

Jason Taylor – ‘Jaybo’ we call him here. One of our best midfielders by a long shot. Works hard, gives it all for the team & will chip in with a goal or two. I would start with him 100% of the time, would look to rest him in little cup games though.

Danny Harrison – Invisible man, that’s all – sell him.

Mark Bradley – Joined from Walsall on a free in the summer. Very very versatile indeed, able to play at right back, centre back, defensive mid, right of mid & Attacking Mid. Best position is the centre of the park but remember these options in the future. Wales U21 international at that too, potential to become maybe a championship player.

Right Mid

Nicky Law – Nicky Law Jnr. Joined from Sheffield United for free but 50% of any future sales. Highly rated but the blades before he come here and he has lived up to that name ever since. Very skillful, loved to cut inside & take the ball to the corner flag a lot. Crossing is very good and should be your corner and free kick taker as well.

Marcus Marshall – Another with promise after joining on a free from Blackburn in the summer. Can play on the right, left and upfront. Best is on the wing where he shines brilliant quick feet and not scared to take players on but lacks a little in the first touch. Class back up for Law and should be kept if developed right.

Strikers

Adam Le Fondre – Will I need to say much about this guy and what he can offer? Just simply one of the best strikers we’ve had at this club since Hoskins in 2005 or Robins few more years after that. Clearly one of the best in the league and will become a major part in your promotion if you can keep an hold of him.

Tom Pope – Signed up for a large fee in the summer from Crewe. Easily to say he is one of the most hard working players at the club but never seems to get the chances. I would say he is too selfish but what can you do? Alfie loves working along side him so try and make this partnership work I’m sure you can.

Ryan Taylor – ‘Tayles’ might be known from the Coca-Cola League 2 play-off final in May 2010 when he scored 2 goals against Dagenham in a very good game in which we sadly lost. Lacked confidence, got booed a lot which was shocking. Was sent out on loan to Exeter, month or 2 after he then come back and he looked a completely changed player! Everything about him was more sharp then ever. Potential is there but not too sure if the potential in-game will make him a good enough player in league 1. You can be the judge.

Potential Targets

Here is a list of players you could sign on a free or on loan in the first window;

GK: Gregory Hartley, Jamie O'Brien, Adam Street.

DEF: Yann Nsaku, Andy Butler, Ireikpen, Ben Hoskin.

MID: Nicky Travis, Gauthier Mahoto, Gyan King, Chris James, Stephen Hughes.

ST: Gael Nlundulu, Michael Uwezu, Omar Karoma, Fabien Brandy.

I’ll add more players when people mention them on this thread.

Good luck with the millers and hope you can bring the glory days back!

Formations & Tactics

I'll try and keep this short as i can because there is so much to talk about but hopefully i'll keep it as simple as possible. There is one certain tactic which is dominant in the lower leagues;

4411.png

As you can see from the above formation, you need an AM. Which i would suggest signing Chris James & Uwezu for the cover of James. Unless you edit the DB and add Mark Randall on loan until Jan from Arsenal, who'd provide brilliant help. The fullbacks are support, so they will come and support the wingers whenever possible. LCM is box to box and the RCM is defensive mid it's all quite simple. Your ST should always be ALF(Adam Le Fondre) he plays best as a poacher and scores loads of goals. I have this tactic currently on my laptop so if you i can upload it for you to try out.

Hey Craig

Nice to see the new thread up mate.

What's your view so far on the team in the demo? I think just as in real life, it's strong but is lacking a midfielder.

Think once the game comes out, I will edit Exodus into the squad(even though his loan is finishing this weekend) and I will add Mark Randell.

All in all, should be a good bet for one of the top 3 places!!

I wouldn't say he is ridiculous in the game? In all honesty he is the best striker in this league.

Miller2202 - hello there,

Yeah the squad is very nice and tidy this time round every thing look spot on to you? I agree in the game/demo the midfield does look a little defensive which is why we need to sign a box-box or attacking mid. Randall fits that and i'll sure will be adding him in when i get the full game, along with Exodus. Going to make it realistic and add there loan finishes to when they actually ended in real life. :)

Hopefully, yeah! Some brilliant freebies you can sign though mate if you not heard of these already;

Nsaku(CB)

Nlundulu(RW,ST)

Mahoto(DM/CM)

Nicky Travis(CM, good bet for the attacking minded cm)

Andy Butler(CB) - Amazing for league 2 btw.

Ben Hoskin(RB)

Theres more but thats just a little list. :) Good luck in demo and full game keep us all updated.

Thanks for the tips on the freebies mate.I will take a look at Andy Butler later on, as it's rumoured that Ronnie is watching him IRL.

I haven't really played the demo properly to be honest, just wanted to see what the players were like and budgets etc....

I will be doing the same as you regarding the loans, will have the same dates. The more realism the better!!

Looking forward to the challenge.

I just wonder if the rumour and interests in Alfie will be in the game?!

Also, did you spot the error regarding Will Hoskins in the demo? He has moved to Bristol Rovers, but the clause that we still get a percentage of his next move is still in there for some reason.

Yeah i have seen he might be signing on monday on a free 2 year contract! Be nice signing indeed.

Alright then, well what you think to the budgets? They alright too? And seen as its alfies 2nd full season they will be interest in him this time I am sure. Be interesting to see what happens here.

And finally, yes i have seen this and it is same with Creswell. I'll report it and i'll get it sorted. :)

Decided to try with Rotherham after all my other games keep crashing. Cancelled my first two pre season friendlies and just played my first but lost to Brighton 3-0. Bad tactics by me. Finished my transfer deals now and just got to finish the reast of pre season.

Here are my transfers:

In

Gregory Hartley(GK)

Ben Hoskin(RB)

Mark O'Brien (CB), loan from Derby County

Ali Fuseini(CM)

Chris James

Devann Yao

Wesley Ngo Baheng

Out

Richard Orr(released)

Grant Darley, loan to Stalybridge

Stephen Brogan, loan to Mansfield Town

I also managed to get the board to increase my wage budget to £21,500.

I'm going to start with Rotherham too! Even though i'm a Huddersfield fan :/ I too got Andy Butler on a free transfer in the demo... average rating 7.42 (15 games)

I also got Lee Trundle for £10,000 TAKE A LOOK AT HIS STATS!! He and Le fondre have bagged 20 goals between them in 15 games :D

I can't wait!!!!

Very nice dealings there Nottingham Forest, Devann Yao? never heard of him though possible for a screenshot? Good luck btw. :)

Daniel - Oh wow nice one mate! Butler seems to be a must buy for sure then. I'll sure take a look at trundle always liked him, keep up the good work too :)

Very nice dealings there Nottingham Forest, Devann Yao? never heard of him though possible for a screenshot? Good luck btw. :)

Cheers mate.. He used to play for Ipswich Town. I had already lined up my back up left midfielder and then this guy was in the trial squads and got mentioned by the Ass man. So I got him scouted and he got 3 stars. Can play right mid as well. I'll get a screenshot up soon. I think the updates for this game will be slow as this will be a save between other saves.

Danny Harrison being the first. Who else did you sign? Could help me tell you who to get rid of? Warne should be sold/released. Could been released at the start for about 24k, make sure you look for another Fitness Coach though to take his place.

Danny Harrison being the first. Who else did you sign? Could help me tell you who to get rid of? Warne should be sold/released. Could been released at the start for about 24k, make sure you look for another Fitness Coach though to take his place.

I signed, gareth williams, chris james, andy butler, lee trundle and theo robinson (loan) for £10,000 (lee trundle cost this) There wages make £8,000 in total but first team eveyweek to keep my win streak of 12 going :D Hopefully i can do this in the actual game :p

You could sell Marshall, Warne, Taylor(if needed the money) Harrison, R.Taylor. Send Elliot back from his loan aswell. Upload your tactic for everyone else to use? :) I'm a little curious about it and would love to give it ago.

What did you do about training? Leave it as it is or did you create your own schedules?

Formation 4-4-2

Philosophy - Rigid

Starting Strategy - Control

Marking - Zonal - because on numerous occasions my center backs have followed their man onto the wings and left huge gaps.

Closing Down - Press More

Creative Freedom - More disciplined

Roaming Stick - Stick to position

Corners - Near Post - i tend to score many goals from this tactic

Starting 11

Warrington GK

Butler CB

Fenton CB

? - RB

? - LB

Williams - MC

James - MC

Law - MR

Ellison - ML

Robinson or le fondre - ST Poacher

Trundell - ST Target Man

You may think this is weird and disagree with things, but it works :D

Sorry. When I said ridiculously good, I meant that it will probably be very difficult to get him scoring as much on the game as he has been in real life, which seems the wrong way round compared to most players. I agree he's the best striker in the league.

He has scored quite a few for me :)

9(2) - 7

Sorry i didnt know you meant it that way. Yeah it was hard for me 1st time round on the FM11 demo, scored 3 in 10 but was still working on the tactic, didn't score many each game either was winning like 1-0 but i never seemed to be conceeding which was a good thing. Maybe sorted the tactic out now and just about to get the team together and then kick on with the start of the season, ill let everyone know how he is doing!

How much wages you manage to get Trundle on Daniel?

Here it is... however it may be different on the real game :)

GK

Adriano Basso

Dida

DC

Danny Shittu

Demerit

Andy Butler

Pele

Marques

Pascal Cygan

DL/DR

Michael Ball

Steve Finnan

Derek Geary

Bernard Mendy

MC

Gareth Williams

Joe Keenan

Yildiray Basturk

ML/MR

Andy van der meyde - champ standard very good winger :)

Chris James - I recommend this player... even though his stats are not that good, he gets picked for newzeland and scores goals!

Pancrate

ST

Lee Trundle - Very old, however, top end of league one stranded player. Wages around £2500 min £6500 max

Basualdo

Stern John

Peter Weatherson

Fabian Brandy - Low end of championship slandered player. A excellent poacher!

Darius Vassell - Mid championship slandered player. Not interested in joining league 1 and 2 teams :/

Ahh nice one mate i'm sure she wouldn't mind lending 3 pounds, its only 3 pound. ;)

Deleted the demo now ready for when the full version is here in a few days, got my tactics sorted out so why keep on playing eh? :p Can't wait now!

Just Started With Rotherham

Signed

Alex Ray Harvey - Loan

Wes Fletcher - Loan

Ben Hoskin - Free

Lee Trundle - 12k

Adriano Basso - free

Leon Knight - Free

Yann Nsako - Free

Joe Keenan - 5k

Joe Dudgeon - Loan

Anthony Edgar - Loan