FM 2009: Dinamo Kiev: White-Blues

the--dud

Dinamo Kiev, it's a team that I've always enjoyed on FM. You could almost say a sleeping giant as they've won the league an absolute crazy amount of times... Recently they've been stuggling to compete with newly rich Shakhtar Donetsk and the amazing youth of Dnipro. These two teams will surely be your bitter rivals on the quest to dominate Ukraine yet again with the mighty white-blues.

City of Kiev:

291m0jn.jpg

is the capital and the largest city of Ukraine, located in the north central part of the country on the Dnieper River. As of April 2007, official municipal estimates placed the population of Kiev at about 2.7 million inhabitants, although some much higher unofficial estimates are often published.

Kiev is an important industrial, scientific, educational and cultural centre of Eastern Europe. It is home to many high-tech industries, higher education institutions and world-famous historical landmarks. The city has an extensive infrastructure and highly developed system of public transport, including the Kiev Metro.

The name Kiev is said to derive from the name of Kyi, one of four legendary founders of the city (brothers Kyi, Shchek, Khoryv and sister Lybid'). During its history, Kiev, one of the oldest cities in Eastern Europe, passed through several stages of great prominence and relative obscurity.

Dinamo Kiev:

2yufsxw.gif

Full name: FC Dynamo Kyiv

Nickname(s): white-Blues

Founded: 1927

Ground: Lobanovsky Dynamo Stadium (Capacity: 16,900)

Chairman: Ihor Surkis

Manager: Yuri Semin

League: 2007/08 High League, 2nd

FC Dynamo Kyiv is a professional football club from the Ukrainian capital city of Kyiv. The club currently participates in the Ukrainian Premier League and have spent their entire history in the top league of Soviet and later Ukrainian football. Dinamo Kyiv has won twelve league titles, nine Ukrainian Cups, one UEFA Super Cup and two UEFA Cup Winners' Cups. Additionally, they have also won 13 USSR Championships, 9 USSR Cups, and 3 USSR Super Cups, making Dinamo one of the most successful clubs in the history of the Soviet Top League.

The club was founded in 1927 as an amateur team, part of Dinamo, a nation-wide Soviet sport society. After the Soviet Union's collapse, the club, now using the Ukrainian name FC Dinamo Kyiv, became a member of the newly-formed Ukrainian Premier League. Dinamo's status as the country's principal club did not change with the break-up as they went on to dominate domestic competitions, winning or being runner-up in every year of the Premier League's existence and becoming a fixture in the UEFA Champions League. Its main rival in Ukraine is Shakhtar Donetsk, a team from the Donbas region, who placed second to Dinamo several times before winning its first Premier League in 2002.

Squad:

Your squad is very solid and full of quality, but there is a couple of weaknesses. I feel you can eliminate these weaknesses by selecting a clever formation though.

Goalkeepers

GK - Oleksandr Shovkovsky*

GK - Oleksandr Rybka^

GK - Taras Lutsenko

GK - Stanislav Bogush

Defenders

DRC/WBR - Oleh Dopilka

DRC - Betão

DC - Goran Sablic'

SW/DC - Pape Diakhaté

DC - Taras Mykhalyk

DC - Oleksandr Romanchuk

DC/DMC - Malkhaz Asatiani

DLC/WBL - Andriy Nesmachnyy

Midfielders

WBL/ML - Badr El Kaddouri

DMC - Ayila Yussuf^

DMC/MLC - Ognjen Vukojevic'*

DMC/MRC - Carlos Corrêa

DM/MC - Roman Eremenko

MLC - Oleksandr Aliyev

MC/AMC - Diogo Rincón

MRC - Oleh Husyev

Forwards

AMRL/FC - Ismaël Bangoura

AML/FC - Emmanuel Okoduwa

ST - Maksim Shatskikh

ST - Artem Kravets^

ST - Artem Milevsky*

The players marked with ^ are promising and capable youngster, the ones with * are important and established players. In my opinion of course...

Players in: (Most important transfers, not complete)

GK - Stanyslav Bohush (Metalurh Zaporizhya)

DC - Betão (Santos FC)

DC/DMC - Malkhaz Asatiani (on loan from Lokomotiv Moscow)

DM - Ognjen Vukojevic' (from Dinamo Zagreb)

MC - Roman Eremenko (on 1 year loan from Udinese Calcio)

ST - Emmanuel Okoduwa (from Germinal Beerschot)

ST - Frank Temile (from Valletta)

Kiev bought quite a few players, possibly Vukojevic' being the best buy and Betão not too bad either. Luckly they never sold any big players. All in all, not a bad transfer window!

State of Affairs

Finally, thank god(!), the mighty Artem Milevsky has been done full justice on Football Manager. He's always been slightly under-stated in my opinion, so he never was able to cut it at the highest level of European football. But this year, "the new Shevchenko" has had most his important stats upped +1/+2 and on all my FM09 saves I've bought him he's been an effective scoring machine.

Apart from Milevsky, sadly most players have been degraded a bit. Although Pape Diakhaté is a very solid DC which you should hold on to, and Ismaël Bangoura has been given heaps of potential. Your goalies are very solid, but Oleksandr Rybka has been given a lesser potential it seems.

If you're going to play with wide players, you'd best of focusing on getting a new DR or MR/AMR but also DL or ML/AML because your wide players aren't really that good and you also lack some depth. You should invest in a solid DC to pair up Diakhaté as the rest of your central defenders are very average players. If you've got funds left, a brand new striker would be sensible as Milevsky is the only natural striker with some class. Shatskikh is old, and the other ones aren't up to much. Suárez and Kravets does have potential, but they're not quite ready yet.

Over all, your squad is good but average, and it's not nearly as good as your arch-enemy Shakhtar so you have to get some players in if you're going to topple them first season!

As far as ambitions, I think it would have been wise to plan to win the league in two seasons. First season you can aim for top 3, and the next season you should be a heavy contenter for the league crown! But the powers at the club has decided that you have to win the league in season one, so that's what you have to do!

Best Established Player

rr175u.jpg

Artem Milevsky - ST

Artem Volodymyrovych Milevskiy(born January 12, 1985 in Mazyr, Belarus) is an Ukrainian professional football striker of Belarusian descent. Milevskiy started his professional career in Ukraine's FC Borysfen Boryspil, moving in 2002 to national giants FC Dinamo Kyiv. In 2006, he was voted best footballer in Ukraine for the month of August, in a traditional survey by football journalists, head coaches and captains conducted by sports newspaper Komanda.

As mentioned above, this player is (in my opinion) on of the best strong target men type ST in FM09. You'll also find him praised on this forums several times so I'm not alone. He's performed amazingly for me on many saves including Man City, Lyon, Zenit and many more... You just need to give him time and keep playing him, he will without doubt become a corner-stone of your Kiev team! I rate him as highly as any other striker in FM09, I can understand it might be tempting to flog him for a big bit of cash but take my advice and don't because you'll struggle to find a better striker without paying £20-30m.

Best Young Player

[25gapnt.jpg

Diego Suárez - ST

Diego Orlando Suárez Saucedo (born October 7, 1992 in Santa Ana del Yacuma, Beni) is a Bolivian professional football player for FC Dinamo Kyiv. Suárez is the youngest footballer ever to play in the Copa Libertadores when his team played against Santos.

In late March 2007 the Bolivian media claimed that Diego was about to be given a trial by famous English football club, Chelsea. These rumors were quashed that any contact was made by Chelsea giving him a trial. The young Bolivian did make his way to Europe and in late November was signed by Ukrainian club Dinamo Kyiv. During January 2009, Suárez played in the South American Youth Championship for the Bolivian U-20 team.

Suárez has been in FM since 2007 when he was 14 years old, and he has always had amazing potential but I think he's been over looked because you had to groom him for at least 3-5 years before you could play him. But now in FM09 he's 16 years of age and his stats are 14/15 in the most important areas for a striker and I recon in 1-2 years he'll be an amazing striker ready for your first team!

Misc...::

If you feel I've said something wrong or picked the wrong people or whatever, please shout out.

As always, any comments/corrections/feedback more than welcome, don't hesitate to get involved!

I've currently started a save, I'll post an update with my signings and early experiences as soon as I can...

Squad - Start of Season 1

2w23rlt.png

Quite happy with the signings actually.

Very pleased with Marco Zambelli who has a high PA, and will be an amazing player for Kiev.

Tore Reguniussen is a young talented DC from my native country, he's solid in FM09!

Got Osmar Ferreyra from Dnipro on the cheap, he's got high crossing and good speed which makes him quite useful...

Celso Borges has a slightly random PA, on this save he's excellent so happy with him as well.

Rolando Zárate: I found by accident, it turns out he's the older brother of Mauro Zarate (the legend of FM08!) and he's looking pretty good!

By the way, in the screenshot Zárate is a sub but he's actually a starter for me!

Transfers

aepls5.png

You're actually given £7m for transfers, but I had to adjust it to £5m something as Kiev's wage budget is maxed out...

Update two months into season one:

Results:

2953ax0.png

Done OK in the league, lost a couple of silly games so if I'm going to pip Shakthar for #1 spot I really can't afford anymore slip ups!

Finding it really difficult to play as Kiev when they board expects you to flat-out win the league in season one with Shakthar being so impressive...

On the bright side, I've progressed to the group stages of Champions League and the group I was handed is managable: FC Bayern, Sporting CP, Olympiacos and Dinamo Kiev.

Squad:

71o6td.png

Feeling quite good about my squad, generally good for the league and I feel all my signings has improved the squad.

Reginiussen has been slightly dissappointing, but I'm hoping he'll sort himself out sooner rather than later as I really believe in him.

Rolando Zarate started the season amazing bagging goals for fun, but then got a four month injury with a torn calf muscle damn it!

Thil then stepped up scoring goals, and now he's injured for a month hehe...

The hero of the team Milevskyi has sadly gotten off to a bit of a false start with 4 goals in 11 starts, but I'll keep playing him and he'll come good hopefully!

Regens:

Signed two regens with amazing potential, hoping they'll be fantastic for Kiev a couple of years down the line!

33ljj2b.png

2eyi4x0.png

Update:

image-7D1B_49A12F6D.jpg

Going well, top of the league, and luckly Shakthar has gotten off to a rather wobbly start. Milevskyi has finally started to score, so all well... Still plagued by injuries a wee bit, but nothing I can't manage.

Highest average rated player is Osmar Ferreyra, which is looking to be a stellar signing :thup:

image-9CC0_49A13166.jpg

Since last update I only lost to Bayern, which I was expecting. Their goalie has an amazing game, as we had heaps of chances and he had to make save after save so we certainly didn't make a fool out of ourselves!

Apart from that, I've had comfortable wins all around :)

As you can see, my next fixture is again Olympiacos at home, which is one of the CL matches that I've identified as must-win to qualify as second after Bayern!

Guest Vitaly91

Great thread, man!

I am also playing as DK. My biggest issue seems to be managing the rule of no more than 7 foreign players in first 11. How do you handle it? It seems that for me I have to be aware of it at all times. Because, for example, I cannot sub a non-foreign player with a foreign player during the game. So I have to sometimes do a double-sub just to obey the rule!

Also, I was able to sign Oscar Cardozo (ST) from Benfica and he has been great so far. Together with Milevskiy they formed a dangerous duo up front.

Lastly, what is a skin that you use? It looks real nice!

Keep it up!

Cheers Vitaly92!

I'm OK witht the 7 foreign player rule, I play Shovkovskyi in goal, one of the two ukrainian left-backs, and Milevskyi of course, and I usually play either another ukrainian striker of one of the MCs. But yeh, it is a bit annoying, especially because it's not like a team in the EU where all the EU players aren't foreigners!

I really wish I managed to sign a quality striker like Cardozo, but I just didn't think about him... And yes, Milevskyi is amazing :)

The skin is called Rinnakkain v1.1: link

• 1 month later...

Well I guess I'll try to start this thread up again. I'm half way through my first season and am doing extremely well. I think I'm 15-1-0. I've made some decent transfer moves I believe.

I brought in Gago for less than 6m and just sold him for 17.5m, bought Fernandinho for 12.5 to replace him since he's a year and a half away from citizenship. Also, brought in Srna for 15m, so I should have a great base of Ukrainian players now. Gonzalo Higuain was transfer listed, so I have a bid in on him too.

However, I've gotten pretty screwed when it comes to Europe. I drew Arsenal for my champs league qualifier and lost. Had Milan and Everton in my UEFA group, but I made it through easily. Then drew Lyon for my first knock out. Did fine at home, but lost 6-2 away....oh well.

Diakhaté with 11 goals, you using the corner trick? :D

Haha no idea, I didn't think it worked in 09. I'm using a tactic I downloaded, and it looks like he's challenging keeper, so yeah maybe :) However, before I set my penalty takers, he was taking a lot of them and I think I have 13 or 14 penalties, so that's a big chunk. Clearly the Fernandinho goals aren't mine, but he's scored 2 goals in 4 games so far! I'm very happy with that buy. Especially since Shakhtar lost their two best players to me.

Also, I couldn't offer Higuain enough money right now :( so no Hig yet.

Haha no idea, I didn't think it worked in 09. I'm using a tactic I downloaded, and it looks like he's challenging keeper, so yeah maybe :) However, before I set my penalty takers, he was taking a lot of them and I think I have 13 or 14 penalties, so that's a big chunk. Clearly the Fernandinho goals aren't mine, but he's scored 2 goals in 4 games so far! I'm very happy with that buy. Especially since Shakhtar lost their two best players to me.

Ah, fair enough. Fernandinho is ace. :cool:

Ah, fair enough. Fernandinho is ace. :cool:

Yeah, I've never had him before...I'm ashamed of myself now. 2 goals and 2 assists in 4 matches....Gago barely had more than that in 18.

Well looks like I'm about to win the league with 5 matches left. Pretty successful domestic campaign, now I just need to work on grabbing the best Ukrainians, so I can compete better in Europe.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Started a game using an update with all the transfers in, was going to play as Lyon but decided to go back to the Ukraine after having a great game on FM08 as Shakhtar.

The club has a healthy bank balance of £41 million for being title challengers we got given £18 million to spend, transfers in are.

Victor Irineu - 100k

Rusol - £5 million

Moutinho - £10.75 million

Veloso - £10.75 million

Strange as it may sound but I have never had Veloso on FM09 and have never had Moutinho on any game. Offering for these players with monthly deals and I think they are decent prices. Hopefully they can supply Shevchenko and Milevskiy with the goals to shoot us above Shakhtar.

Anyone playing? Unbelievable that this team thread has only 20 posts.

Shak > Kiev to be fair. ;)

Don't remind me lol, after seeing them sign Julio Baptista it seems I will be in for a harder season than I expected. Sheva has 8 goals in 5 games though, Milevskyi 5 in 5 and the same for Moutinho.

I just wish Kiev had their cash but I can see me selling Moutinho and Sheva for big money, I loaded a lot of leagues so chances are I will move on after a few seasons.

Just got Arsenal in the Champions League Qualifiers seems I will have to make do with the Europa League this season.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel quite bad for this thread, however I'll make an even better one for FM10 and make sure I post more in it mmkay?

Surely for FM10 we can get to at least two pages? ;)

EDIT: The reason I never posted much was because in FM08 I had a very successful save playing a 5-4-1 formation with a sweeper but for some reason the FM09 ME absolutely hates sweepers it seems. Hopefully sweepers will once again "work" in FM10!

• 8 months later...

Sorry to necro such a old thread but I was wondering if it will be ever possible to expand the current stadium in FM10? I seem to remember that at some point the team was supposed to move into a new stadium but in the current game I think that has changed? I could remember it wrong though. Anyway, the board won't agree to expand the stadium because there simply isn't enough space. 16k capacity is a bit small, so..Any help?

Archived