Champions league question

I was under the impression that in the CL the way that it was worked out was points and then head to head in the case of a the same points.

Now with one game to go I am sitting on 12 points Man u 9 PSG 9 I have to play Cluj in my last game.

I won 3-1 at old Trafford 1-0 at home

I won 2-0 at home but lost 2-1 in Paris.

By my estimation the best that can happen is that one of these teams will win and draw level with me on points if I lose in cluj, so I should have already qualified

But it is still saying my possible finish is 1-3?

Am I missing something?

You are quite right, it doesn't make sense

Whilst technically they are both within range of catching you points wise, since they are playing each other, only one of them could get the maximum 3 points and because the CL works on the head to head basis like you mentioned, then neither of them should be able to actually beat you to the 1st seeded position neither, so yes you should already have qualified, very very confusing :confused:

The usual thing that people say is that if you reach 10 points you've qualified so I'd say you've already qualified

A couple of years ago PSV got 10 points, but finished 3rd in their group see here, Monaco got 11 and Deportivo also 10 points. PSV even got a better goal difference +1 while Depor had 0, but based on their two games Depor finihsed second (first match Depor - PSV 2 - 0, second match PSV - Depor 3 - 2).

A couple of years ago PSV got 10 points, but finished 3rd in their group see here, Monaco got 11 and Deportivo also 10 points. PSV even got a better goal difference +1 while Depor had 0, but based on their two games Depor finihsed second (first match Depor - PSV 2 - 0, second match PSV - Depor 3 - 2).

Yeah thanks for pointing that out but as i said theusual point target is around the ten point mark

Yeah thanks for pointing that out but as i said theusual point target is around the ten point mark

Sorry but was not my intention to be rude, but to point out when two teams finish equal the games between them count and not the goal differance.

Ofcourse your right that normally with 10 point you advance.

Wasnt that the year when Monaco beat Deportivo like 6-3 or 8-5 or something absolutely nuts like that?

I think the answer is: it simply doesn't recognize that it isn't possible for both Man U and PSG to pick up three points in the last match. So it thinks both of them can get to 12 points. Its also not taking into account the tie-breaker edge you have over both teams .. it looks to me like you've finished first in your group regardless of the results in the final match.

Sorry but was not my intention to be rude, but to point out when two teams finish equal the games between them count and not the goal differance.

Ofcourse your right that normally with 10 point you advance.

No worries mate, i also apoligise for sounding slightly rude lol:thup:

Archived