RAM problem - help required..........

Hi,

I have recently bought FM09 and had problems with game speed. This led to for the first time to look at my system information (I know little or nothing about computer's) and I have found out I have 504MB of RAM. Having examined the game box it seems I don't have enough RAM for the game. Therefore, I have a few questions for those 'in the know'.

1) With that amount of RAM I have, can you still have a decent game or shall I just give up until I improve my system?

2) If it is workable, what measures can be taken to improve the speeds? Have nothing else running? Is Steam taking up RAM? Should I only run 1 league and small database (which seems a little boring to me)?

3) With 9.0.2, I find the 3D matches very 'jerky' and the game often freezes and continues before a goal is scored. Is this a problem with the match engine or because of my RAM?

Many thanks to those who reply.

You really need to upgrade to 1GB or 2GB of RAM

The match is jerky because of the low amount of RAM you have. It is very cheap and easy to purchase and add RAM nowadays. The sticks are very cheap and just slot into the computer and away you go

You will have 512 mb of ram cause it comes in multiples of 128 its just some will be reserved for system processes. The game will run just very slowly. I wouldnt recommend loading more than 2 leagues on a small databae personally. There are some problems with the match engine but the jerkiness could also be your ram.

http://www.crucial.com/uk

Will give you ram uprgade options and they are normaly relatively cheap to be honest.

The 3d jerkiness is not only just cause of the ram.. The graphic card plays a factor to.

You can have 2 gb ram and Core 2 duo but if you have a pre-historic graphic card 3d will always be jerky.

You will do yourself a big favor in getting 1 or 2 gb ram.

Switch to 2d view.

Yes your RAM will be a problem but they are a few things that can help,run a defrag on your system that will clear it up a bit and help with preformance.

You can do this by ..press start-->control panel-->preformance information-->advanced tools-->disk defragmenter.

That will take sometime if you have never ran 1 before but you should run this say every 2 weeks to look after your system.

As far as I know you dont have to run Steam when you run FM,you can send a shortcut to your desktop and start FM from there so no need for steam,I dont use steam but I am sure 1 of the other guys will tell you how to do this.

The reason your 3d match is freezing is more than likely your low RAM but your graphics card could also be the problem.

My advice would be to run the defrag,dont start steam and maybe also not watch the game in 3d,you should still be able to run a few league's(I wouldnt like to say how many)just use some trial and error,Thats about the best I can do without you spending some cash to upgrade.

Thanks to all for your quick and helpful advice. Look's like I will have to upgrade then if I want to enjoy a proper game.

One point I would like to expand upon if possible is Steam. It won't allow me to close this down when FM is running - can anyone tell me if this is possible to do and if so, how?

Thank again.

Yes your RAM will be a problem but they are a few things that can help,run a defrag on your system that will clear it up a bit and help with preformance.

You can do this by ..press start-->control panel-->preformance information-->advanced tools-->disk defragmenter.

That will take sometime if you have never ran 1 before but you should run this say every 2 weeks to look after your system.

I don't have the option of 'performance information' in my control panel. Anywhere else I can find this? Under another name? Have looked around but with no joy.......

Cheers.

P.S Have just ordered another 512MB of RAM - thanks for all the advice.

Yeah it can be slow and depends on how much your computer is fragmented. Files are basically fragmented which means that they are located in various different locations on your PC. It is just putting them back where they should be and this can improve speed as loading them to find them will be quicker.

Archived