When taking over a club, do you retain staff?

When you first take over a club (at any point, whether at the start or after being appointed) you normally have the option of mutually terminating all your new staff's contracts without them making too much of a fuss. I'd like to know if you normally do that to bring in your own staff, and whether you think it makes any difference?

Normally I only change my assistant manager where needed (usually when taking over Wigan — sacked Eric Black to appoint Oleg Luzhnyi, only for him to leave to manage QPR in the second season at which point I took up Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as my new assistant), but never bother to sack any other staff.

I normally get rid of most of them if I have a half decent transfer budjet to bring my own in as I can generally employ much higher quality staff than I start the game with and I don't always need to buy that many new players because the game starts with the squads from affter the summer which are decent as the real life club can (normally) suffice with them and the same holds true for FM.

The fact that you often have to pay quite ridiculous compensation (I paid £1M to buy out Solskjaer's contract with Man Utd!) for staff is I guess one of the reasons I myself only bring in new assistants and not coaches, at least right at the start. Especially if I need to buy new players.

Depends - if I'm a rich club I get rid. If I'm not then I wait til their contracts are up and just get rid of the most useless ones whose contracts expire relativity soon and replace them with freebies. Why is it though that the worst staff members are always on the longest contracts?

I took over Sunderland and wanted to replace almost the whole bunch. But the board would not let me terminate ast mgr and 1st coach because they cost to much to buy out. I was able to upgrade most other staff and they served me well for the season.

I never managed a lower league team and prob wouldn't in that case.

I usually start my first game with Arsenal and I spend hours on the first game day checking which staff/ players I want to get rid of. Then I find all new staff and set there assignments for training/scouting. After all that I will speed ahead to my first friendly unless of course I need some transfers :)

Archived