Outrage Against The Pirates!

I bought Football Manager 09 on sunday, didnt end up actually playing the game until monday evening after work, but my friend downloaded it illegally on the friday it was released. While i had to go through all the incredibly annoying hassles of activation and the setup problems, he got to play his pirated game with no hassle at all! No activation, no setup problems!

I personally think the whole DRM thing is a sham, just look at Spore, some of the strictest anti-piracy and DRM measures in any game ever, yet it is now the most pirated game ever! Bring back the old way of just buying a game and installing and playing whenever you want, I think anti-piracy and DRM measures increase piracy, people do it just to show the publisher they dont want any restrictions or to be told what to do. I can understand why SI have decided to use STEAM and the activation process, after all they are a business who need to make money, i think though it should be back to basics with the next FM.

I can only hope that the pirates get what they deserve, a non-functioning game, EA's Fifa Manager for example has 'triggers' in the game, these are things that stop the game playing properly if it is a pirated copy, such as when you complete a season you get the sack, no matter what club you are.

I hope SI has implemented these measures into Football Manager 09, i have heard things such as random and inconsistent results, is this true? Can anyone else reveal any other 'triggers'? Im determined to wipe the smug look of my friends face lol.

I can only hope that the pirates get what they deserve, a non-functioning game, EA's Fifa Manager for example has 'triggers' in the game, these are things that stop the game playing properly if it is a pirated copy, such as when you complete a season you get the sack, no matter what club you are.

thats also happening to people who bought the game legit, so i dont think that EA really meant for that haha.

I think we should deploy an aggressive, pro-active multi-national naval force in the area, and try to stop the attacks before they happen. I don't think there are any countries who would disagree with this, as recent attacks have impacted the UK, US, Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, Denmark, and no doubt countless others since only a fraction of pirate attacks get reported. Obviously these pirates, although obviously well trained, will not have anywhere near the resources required to stand up to the rest of the world. This is what we're talking about, right?

the cracks are simply awful, but they are getting better. I applaud SI and Uniloc for their DRM. It managed to hold off the pirates entirely for 4 days and even then people dont want an incomplete game. Who knows how many sales they generated because people could not wait and they bought it.

Well Done SI

the cracks are simply awful, but they are getting better. I applaud SI and Uniloc for their DRM. It managed to hold off the pirates entirely for 4 days and even then people dont want an incomplete game. Who knows how many sales they generated because people could not wait and they bought it.

Well Done SI

FM 09 was cracked the same day as the release...

I personally think that there should be some sort of activation but that there should be a much more leniant limit on how many computers you can install on.

I do agree however that there should be some coding done to make a version that has not been activated just about unplayable, such as massive injuries all the time or as fifa did, regularly getting the sack.

And magvest, FM09 actually had a crack out the day before release, as with most modern games, I know this because I am a mod on a fairly active warez forum (I never download anything, I just use it as a chat forum!). No matter what the game is or what security is put on it, people will always download it and people will always crack it. I mean, look at Windows Vista, microsoft spent tens of millions of dollars on making it impossible to crack, and within a week there were perfectly working cracks for it available.

I think that by having overly strict security they do run the risk of driving people to piracy, however a simple activation system done well could make it possible to code the game in a way that copies that havn't been activated will be unplayable, and will not drive many people to pirate the game. Something along the lines of the activation used in this game would be great IF it worked first time and they ironed out the problems with it.

Archived