Arsenal's Invincible season formation?

I's as much about players as tactics. The tactics themselves were hardly earth shattering. We played slow passing football, but with devastating counter attacks. Two wingers who didn't cross, the left one running with the ball, trying through balls and playing long shots, the right one with high forward runs to make him a goal poacher. We had one creative striker coming deep and one free role'd all round striker. One box to box midfielder and one destroyer. The defense heavily used attacking fullbacks but other than that wasn't tactically special.

I didnt know we cannot request tactics. Then how about a discussion to re-create the tactic.

So it's Slow tempo, Short passing, Cross rarely. Do you use 2 strikers, with 1 barrow or 1 AMC with farrow? How about the other sliders?

It'd be a striker with lower mentality, perhaps acting as playmaker.

The rest is just tinkering until it looks right?:p

It'd be a striker with lower mentality, perhaps acting as playmaker.

The rest is just tinkering until it looks right?:p

Can you give me suggestions? I dont actually know how Arsenal played during that season lol.. that's why I need help =\

I just started the game and already bought Henry.

I would have this

4-4-2

I am using the current arsenal team

Sagna Gallas Toure Clichy

I would have the full backs to

Run with ball - on max

forward runs - on max

Nasri Fabergas Diaby Walcott

To make the wingers cut in

Free Role - On

Very High Creative Freedom

No Crossing at all

Through balls on max

U could possibly put the wingers on long shots on high so they will cut in more

Then the stirkers

U could have

Adebayor

Vanpersie

or

Adeabyor Van Persie

One on forward runs , one very attacking , and maybe one on free role

Make sure you get the right players in the right areas , make sure wingers have good first touch and pace .

Also give the tactic time work , at least 8 games ,

Thanks

I didnt know we cannot request tactics. Then how about a discussion to re-create the tactic.

So it's Slow tempo, Short passing, Cross rarely. Do you use 2 strikers, with 1 barrow or 1 AMC with farrow? How about the other sliders?

I'm not sure the engine will allow you to play a dynamic formation like the unbeaten team used. Coz you would need 2 speed sliders, one for counters and one for playing against a defence in place.

They played a slow tempo as long as the opponment defence was in balance, but turned on the turbo when the opp defence got caught off guard. Don't think you can do that in FM. I might be wrong

Attacking wise the tactic is good. Out of 15 shots, 7 are "clear cut chances". Previously I won my matches 1-0 or 2-0.... now I'm scoring 3+ goals.

One problem: defense. I think this is due to my inexperience of customizing tactic.. but I'm allowing goals like crazy! My latest match was 4-3 =\

Another problem, though minor, are my Wingers. They dont cut inside at all. What they do is they dribble the flanks and since their Cross is rarely, they pass it to FB who then cross it. For both Wingers, they hardly take shots on goal. I'm afraid if I use Long Shots, it'll be wasted chances since Walcott is like... 6 in Long Shots.

Should my Width be Narrow then?

:thup:Just employed this tactic with my Celtic team. Been so frustrated up til now. Raced into a 4-0 lead. Fantastic. Only problem is conceded a stupid own goal followed by the keeper letting the ball dribbling under his legs, making the final result 4-2. Better play than before. I'l keep with it for a while and see how I progress..:thup:

Hi

Yeh Keep trying the tactic , it will get better

The Main thing that makes the tactic work is the full backs running forward and that the wingers are both set to free role and high creative freddom

You should set the CM who is defensive to no forward runs if you want to get the most out of the attacking mid

The next thing is to get the Attack right

With Arsenal I have Adebayor and Eduardo

Adebayor is there to hold up the ball , he is not that attacking and set to

HOLD UP THE BALL

Through Balls on Max

Creative Freedom fairly high

This is the player that drops of a bit and tries to create space , van persie can play here as well

Eduardo is the naturual goal scorer he needs to have a higher attacking mentality that adebayor

Forward Runs - Often

Hold up ball -No

Cross - Medium

Give the tactic time it will work

I'm having problem with Henry & Ade partnership.

Henry is the more attacking forward and he score a lot of goals.

The problem is with Ade. Since he's the link between midfield & Henry, I give him Hold up ball. But his ratings are rubbish.... unless my team wins, his rating will be somewhere around 5.5 and low 6 if we do win.

I'm having problem with Henry & Ade partnership.

Henry is the more attacking forward and he score a lot of goals.

The problem is with Ade. Since he's the link between midfield & Henry, I give him Hold up ball. But his ratings are rubbish.... unless my team wins, his rating will be somewhere around 5.5 and low 6 if we do win.

Let me see if I can help. Set him up with this:

Mentality: 2-3 notches below the other FC

CF=15

Passing=8-9

CD=mentality

FWR=mixed

RWB=mixed

Shots=mixed

TTB=often

Cross=rarely

Free Role=yes

Make sure he and the defensive MC play on the right hand side! Try this:

Eduardo-----Adebayor

Nasri---Fabregas----Diaby----Walcott

Hope it works for you!

And would just like to say i think the arrow thing now is just stupid, why not have all different symbols around the players now, a symbol for crosses and through balls, because all the arrow meens is runs forward, as i said the arrow thing is just stupid. Sorry for the winge im just english.

I'm top in the EPL with my tactic, but it definitely needs a lot of work before it's worthy to be uploaded hehe...

For instance, how can I decrease the number of high balls my strikers receive? Everyone except my FBs have Cross set to Rarely and only some Mixed. I already set the passing style to Short... yet there are still too many headers.

Like Henry. In most games, there will be 10 headers and he win 1-2 at most.. thus the low ratings. How can I make my Arsenal play ball on the ground?

I know you aren't playing with one, but one way to possibly encourage more balls played on the floor might be to switch target man supply to either "to feet" or "run onto ball." Despite your lack of a target man it may encourage your team to keep it on the ground. Alternately, you could name a player or two as target men but don't check the target man box under team instructions and change the supply method to feet or run onto ball, this will still encourage your team to play the ball to that particular player on the ground. In a more bold test, you could try listing your whole squad as target men, so they all feel they must play the ball on the ground. That could be dangerous but it would be interesting to see where it goes.

• 5 weeks later...

I was trying to create this tactic as well and Im glad to see others are trying!

The way I see it is as someone else said the right players are important and I think from the existing there are only a few players

that can make the starting line up.

Invincible Team

Henry

Bergkamp

Pires Ljungberg

Vieira Edu/Gilberto

Cole Campbell Toure Lauren

Lehmann

Out of that team I think Clichy could have the stats to play as Cole, Sagna definitely has the stats to play as Lauren, Toure has good

stats, and then possibly Robin Van Persie in the Bergkamp role but Im not 100% on that. Then youve got Fabregas who doesnt exactly

play the box to box role Vieira did but could be used instead.

In my opinion you need to buy - a strong keeper (lehmann was world class at times), a strong dominating center back (not sure who could fill this - Barzagli maybe? Good in previous versions), strong good tackling good passing defensive mid (veloso immense in this

position), Wingers are the big ask I cant suggest any Im just not sure Arshavin? Maxi Rodriguez?

Up front Id bring back Henry, £13mil and stats are still very good and he'll add much needed experience to the squad. If RVP couldnt fill the Bergkamp role possibly someone like Augero could?

Some might say Nasri, Walcott, Adebayor, Gallas would be good enough but the invincible team not only had a strong starting 11 it had

a strong squad - keown, parlour, wiltord, fabregas was only coming through, kanu, gilberto,reyes, flamini, eboue when he was good! There was a lot of quality there in that squad, you could almost make a starting 11 from the subs!

If 2 wingers were bought that would give Walcott, Nasri as back up and Rosicky to come back from injury that sounds more like it to me.

Up front buy Henry, someone to play Bergkamp role that gives Adebayor, RVP and Eduardo to come back - also as an option Carlos Vela

can cover wing and striker more depth to squad. I dont think Ade can play Bergkamp role, not creative enough.

I know Ive talked only about players but a lot have spoken about tactics already, which I have to admit Id need help on trying to figure out how to capture Arsenal's style that season.

Basically I would think a lot of the players would need to be let go - Bendtner, Diaby, Denilson, Silvestre, etc. and better quality brought into the starting 11 who would fit the style more like the real life tactic. Im not suggesting by the way that with a tactic the current squad couldnt do the invincible season, Im just speaking from the point of view of trying to match players styles that played then and

are playing in the team now to try and get it just right.

Just my thoughts maybe you'll all disagree! Very interesting topic anyway, fair play for starting it! :)

It would be hard to re-create with Fabregas being such a massive part of the current Arsenal set up.

You could sell him for 30million and sign a Diarra maybe, he seems to be the Vieria mould to me.

Pires and Ljunberg... Nasri isn't too disimilar to Pires in my opinion. And Walcott would add more than Ljunberg ever could in my opinion :)

I'm yet to see a player similar to Bergkamp either to be honest, RVP is only similar becasue he's Dutch :p

In conclusion I'm now pesimistic and don't think it can be done :)

Archived