To all of you complainers... listen up!

I have been playing this series since 1991! Read that again!!! Since 1991. That makes me 35 today. I can still think straight as I write this, I hope. I have played every single game that the Collyer brothers and their colleagues have put out there. Every one of them!

To all of you teenagers and other complainers out there:

What SI has done is a GREAT EVOLUTIONARY STEP in the development of this franchise. This is what great dynasties are made of. They know how to bridge from one generation to the next, and this is what the boys are doing with this year's release.

Sure, it's not polished, it has its issues, but it was a necessary step to keep the dynasty on top.

Go back, play some of those games from 7-8 years ago. They were fun. It was fun imagining what was going on the pitch. But now, you can actually watch a football match. And get a great management game with it. How can that be bad? How is that not the right thing to do?

I saw this coming some time ago, but people need to face the reality: the text-based limits of a game have been reached with all the features SI has put into the game over the last ten-fifteen years. Had they done more, it would have folded on its own weight (too clumsy to do anything in it). Simply put, one area where they had not done much was the game presentation itself. That is one aspect of the game that needed a major overhaul. You can still play text-only but the point was to move from the dark-ages into today.

I commend them for taking this step, even if it is not EA-style presentation. The point was to make that move, to make that hard call. From here on, it will only get better and in a few years you will have the game that you all wanted. Yet, you can help build it with your suggestion, not your damn complaining.

I love SI. I am comfortable that they will always do what is in the best interest of the fans and their franchise. And it the two don't overlap, they will err on the side of the franchise, which is the right thing to do. Forget about someone's emotions. I am one of those guys who sits in the back, reads all the posts, and plays the game. But every now and then I have to voice my opinion because of the lack of wisdom I see on these forums. Cheer up: the SI have just opened up the door to a great new future for the FM franchise.

Can't you see that these guys love what they do, they are by far the best gaming company out there. They care to communicate, to build on their success, not sit back. And I read these posts about SEGA having an influence, blah-blah. Just shut up and enjoy the fact that there are people out there who love football and love making games for it - better than anyone else.

iceman

It's all well and good bringing out a 3d match engine but it doesn't mean they should be able to get away with a buggy game. I would have prefered to see FM08 with just the new press conference/transfer rumours etc.. so Si could have spent the next year perfecting the 3d match engine.

If you ask me it smacks of 'hey, we made the 3d match engine but if we release it while it's still a bit pants, we'll sell shed loads from the hype, then we can improve on it for next year' and i tell you what, thats simply not good enough. As customers we deserve much more respect, they may make the game, but we pay their wages when we buy the game and as such i don't want to be served with a sub standard game all in the name of making cash.

A case in point is this years ProEvo, it's practically the same as last years, but mark my words, it'll have improved hugely by next year cause they've not put things in there that are not anywhere near the required standard.

The fact that my built for gaming PC can't run the demo without crashing even though all software and hardware are well above minimum requirements is the most shocking. If my PC can run ProEvo, COD 4 and FIFA so they look exactlly the same as an Xbox360 version, yet can't run some 3d match engine that looks like italia 90 on the mega drive (slight exageration)then something is seriously wrong.

As far as comparing it to games 7-8 years ago goes, well thats idiotic, the most recent Metal Gear Solid looks far superior to the first on Playstation, but it plays like a load of crap, and older FIFA titles played far better than the new one but look nowhere near what they do now.

Just because you have been playing the game for 11 years makes your opinion correct?

I've been playing the game for years is well and im not saying i dont like the game but i did expect a little bit more, the 3d match engine isnt really good enough to be honest and i hope in the future they sort it out. Your right they did need to take the next step to 3d but i thought they put years into making a 3d match engine but it looks like they've put in 6 months.

I also love SI and FM its my favourite game of all time and will be for years to come but this years release has serious problems.

I have been playing this series since 1991! Read that again!!! Since 1991.

You're confusing doing something for a long time with knowing something about it. I've been playing snooker for years, doens't mean I know anymore about it than someone who has been playing it for 3 years :rolleyes:

I understand your point, but all this nonsense about how long people have been playing the game means nothing.

I don't care if FM2009 was the best game in the world.

It is still no excuse for shoddy and half baked releases.

if FM2009 was the best game in the world then it wouldn't be a shoddy and half baked release :S

i quite like 09 i didnt like 08 but 09 has pleased me with what i have seen.

Jeez, 1991, what was it like back then! I remember catching the bug around CM2, 96/97 I think, and vaguely recall being Newcastle and plundering the Dutch for top talent, Van Der Sar, Reiziger, Davids, Kluivert, etc.

People are entitled to their opinion, fair enough some don't like it - a demo, but we don't need to hear about it constantly. I've seen the word expectation mentioned and thats a slippery slope right there. Expectation is evil and explains why some supporters of their clubs are so fickle.

I have been playing this series since 1991! Read that again!!! Since 1991. That makes me 35 today. I can still think straight as I write this, I hope. I have played every single game that the Collyer brothers and their colleagues have put out there. Every one of them!

To all of you teenagers and other complainers out there:

What SI has done is a GREAT EVOLUTIONARY STEP in the development of this franchise. This is what great dynasties are made of. They know how to bridge from one generation to the next, and this is what the boys are doing with this year's release.

Sure, it's not polished, it has its issues, but it was a necessary step to keep the dynasty on top.

Go back, play some of those games from 7-8 years ago. They were fun. It was fun imagining what was going on the pitch. But now, you can actually watch a football match. And get a great management game with it. How can that be bad? How is that not the right thing to do?

I saw this coming some time ago, but people need to face the reality: the text-based limits of a game have been reached with all the features SI has put into the game over the last ten-fifteen years. Had they done more, it would have folded on its own weight (too clumsy to do anything in it). Simply put, one area where they had not done much was the game presentation itself. That is one aspect of the game that needed a major overhaul. You can still play text-only but the point was to move from the dark-ages into today.

I commend them for taking this step, even if it is not EA-style presentation. The point was to make that move, to make that hard call. From here on, it will only get better and in a few years you will have the game that you all wanted. Yet, you can help build it with your suggestion, not your damn complaining.

I love SI. I am comfortable that they will always do what is in the best interest of the fans and their franchise. And it the two don't overlap, they will err on the side of the franchise, which is the right thing to do. Forget about someone's emotions. I am one of those guys who sits in the back, reads all the posts, and plays the game. But every now and then I have to voice my opinion because of the lack of wisdom I see on these forums. Cheer up: the SI have just opened up the door to a great new future for the FM franchise.

Can't you see that these guys love what they do, they are by far the best gaming company out there. They care to communicate, to build on their success, not sit back. And I read these posts about SEGA having an influence, blah-blah. Just shut up and enjoy the fact that there are people out there who love football and love making games for it - better than anyone else.

iceman

I, like yourself have been playing the series almost since the beginning and up until 2002 it was excellent and I had no problems with it.

CM4 was buggy and a real let down but I was willing to look the other way because I had faith in SI and their past excellence. Since then they have implemented a good 2D representation of the game and although my enjoyment has never reached the same level of CM 01/02 it was going in the right direction.

FM 08 saw the 2D visualisation almost perfected but the match engine still had flaws. The closing down and corner bugs come to mind.

As with the 2D match engine. They probably would of had to go 3D eventually but this could have been developed behind close doors over the course of 2 - 3 releases while getting users to perform beta testing. I don't see why they had to release an inept 3D engine when it clearly isn't ready. They did this with 2D and I can't believe they havent learned from their mistakes.

Their is only one motivation I can think of that can be behind a move like this and it's money.

Their is only one motivation I can think of that can be behind a move like this and it's money.

Everything is about money, ask Cristiano. ;)

The 3D view isn't flawless but I like the concept of it and acknowledge it'll get better with more time and development.

Please don't tell me people expected FIFA/PES graphics. XD

Hardly anyone is complaining about the 3d engine, people are complaining that they cannot even play the game, Surely they should atleast be able play in 2d.

Also people are rightfully complaining about the amount of bugs, especially the injury bug. These need to be fixed for the complete game, and if they don't alot of people will complain.

I understand that you have been playing for a long time, but people have the right to complain, and not like when they are so many bugs.

Dude, the only one motivation that the series has EVER existed is money.

As a matter of fact, look around you. Every single thing you see? Your lovely little computer? The one motivation behind their existence? Yeah, it's money.

Archived