Counter-attack tick-box: What exactly does it do?

Counter-attacking is for cowards. You let the opponent work his socks off trying to get that match going. You're 0-15 down at least as far as shots on target is concerned. And then, in the dying minutes of the match one of your poor attempts at starting a counter attack actually goes through and turns the entire game upside down. It's kind of a natural thing that this is an approach I'd never employ. I'M a sportman. I'm just asking because I'm curious about this. Honest!

What exactly does ticking that counter-attack box do? The way the manual describes it, it seems you could force the same effect by just adjusting the sliders. Namely mentality and pressing. This also means that you'd be able to contradict the hell out of this. I'm really not quite sure. I'm not a coward. I just want to know.

A counter attack is an art form not some lucky punt up the field as you describe it. Its the best way to utilise speedy players such as wingers and strikers in my opinion. A team with a defense organised enough to absorb wave after wave of attacks and unleash a killer counter attack is just as good as a team fluent in attack in my eyes.

Guest roberto922
A counter attack is an art form not some lucky punt up the field as you describe it. Its the best way to utilise speedy players such as wingers and strikers in my opinion. A team with a defense organised enough to absorb wave after wave of attacks and unleash a killer counter attack is just as good as a team fluent in attack in my eyes.

Aka Arsenal.

What a strange original post. Sometimes, defence is the best form of attack, and this is where the beauty of the counter attack lies.

For example, I recently beat Chelsea in season 1 with Derby, at Stamford Bridge, they were down to 10 men, and I knew since we were drawing, they'd be really going for it, so once you could soak up their attack, they're midfield players were all down to 70 or even lower condition, and my counter attack left them for dead, I beat them 4-1 away.

That's like saying going 4-2-4 is cowardly because you're using all your forwards!

Aka Arsenal.

Not really... More Man United...

Usually counter attack is used by weaker teams as the original post suggests. Not a cheap tatic really

soccer is full of different tactics making it a truely beautiful game yes?

Counter attack at arsenal is pretty much dead unless the ball drops to walcott, nowadays when we get the ball back we continue with a slow build up play, pretty sad as we used to be one of the greatest counter attacking sides, anyway back on topic i always wanted to know what this box really does, i have usually found it makes no difference whether i use it or not with my counter attacking formation...

I also find it to have no real affect unless you set up each of the individual player instructions to fit with the counter attacking plan and whack a load of farrows into the mix.

So the idea that you just tick the box and your teams is instantly a counter attacking team is a bit of a myth. There is a lot more detailed work that needs to go into your tatic and you obviously need the right type of players.

Without this, you are wasting your time (although, just ticking a box doesnt take up too much time .... but you get the idea)

Taken from wwfan's TT&F: (Highlight the darkened area)

Counter Attack

Counter attack is, somewhat ironically, counter intuitive. It does not mean that your players will sprint forward into attacking positions once you get the ball, but rather your players will only launch attacks that are definitely "on". Thus, it is a defensive measure. It is a very useful tool and can be used in two ways. Firstly, it ensures your players remain in defensively effective positions until an attack is on. Secondly, it can force a "parked bus" AI out of its own half by drawing them forwards until your team suddenly pounces. It does mean you won't see a lot of big wins, but it also guarantees a level of defensive stability that allows your side to grind out one or two nil victories.

:thup:

The accent in the counter attack style of play lays on the defensive team function, with the emphasis being on the defender's own half of the field and letting the opponents keep the initiative of the game. This is to take advantage of the space behind their defense for the buildup and the attack.

Wonder if he had any boxes to tick..... Erm, anyway, my appointment at Anfield Road is over (CL semis with mon Bayern), and I had this plan.. this cowardly plan.. For half an hour it appeared to work out. I went up one nill and somehow managed to make Torres blew all his bloody chances. Then they came back, I lost 2-1 and blew the 2nd leg as well. In short: thread can be closed, it's all over, I'm now on my way to Luxembourg (World Cup 2010, here they come.. maybe!)! Kidding - at least about the closing. Still curious about DAT BOX.

I agree. Not only is it not football, it's annoying to watch.

Screw Man Utd Treble winners of 1999 playing the most exciting football in Europe!*

*sarcastic post

Don't make me remember that night in May!

So the idea that you just tick the box and your teams is instantly a counter attacking team is a bit of a myth. There is a lot more detailed work that needs to go into your tatic and you obviously need the right type of players.

Tour team will launch counter attack only if they have oportunyty if you tick counter-attacking box ;)

• 3 months later...

*bump*

I'm still puzzled about the exact effects of this option. Does it overwrite certain slider settings in certain situations?

The way counter attack is described in the manual, that your team will tend to sit back, let the opposition have the ball in safe areas, then try to apply pressure, take the ball and start a (counter)attack,.. This sounds like something you can set this up with sliders. Reduced pressing, high tempo, direct to long passes, etc.

Archived