Insane defending

Screenshot would go a long way to showing what you mean and whether or not anyone can help alleviate the problem :)

But if you are talking about what I think you are talking about then I believe (based on experience so could be complete nonsense) it has to do with specific man marking, defensive line as well as general behaviour of defending players 'collapsing' towards the goal when the opposition gets deep with the ball regardless of how many opposition players are actually in an advanced position.

Depends what you want of your players.

When I face a 3-4-3 with my 4-4-2, I switch from my usual approach (Zonal) to a specific-man-marking approach.

For me, that's: DR, DC, and DL set up to mark the three opposition forwards, "loose", low closing down.

Other DC set "Zonal", "loose", closing down just a smidge under center.

ML, MC, MC, and MR set up to explicit man-mark the four oppoisition midfielders, "tight", high closing down.

Yeah, my defenders wind up essentially ignoring the opposition midfield - but the "other DC" is available almost as a sweeper, to pick up anybody that beats his man in the centre of the park. My tight-marking, high-closing-down midfield ensure that the opposition midfield doesn't have enough space to work with.

I have never seen the problem of too much collapsing back towards the goal that you and isuckatfm describe.

One interesting thought there - what "Mentality" did you have them set on? In my experience, a defender who is basically on "Normal" Mentality is fairly defensive - in other words, Mentality is relative *to his base position*. An extra-defensive defender makes a lot more mistakes - horror backpasses, putting it out for a corner when not under pressure, etc. Therefore I've gotten in the habit of not ever setting Mentality below about 5 for any player, and my defenders are usually on a 6 to an 8.

Another interesting thought is "Forward Runs" - I've found that a defender on "Forward Runs Rarely" tends to back off of lose balls that are in easy reach of him. From the screenies of FM'09, you'd see that expressed as DC with a barrow! ... and he certainly behaves like it. However, "Forward Runs Normal" results in a DC who is willing to go get a loose ball, if it makes sense ... and does not give me a DC who is willing to go haring upfield to join the attack.

In combination with the defense I've outlined for the 3-4-3, I usually see the 3 "man" defenders stick with their man, while the "Zonal" defender goes after the loose ball ... but if one of the "man" defenders opts for the loose ball, the "Zonal" defender is available to watch his back.

Hope some of that was informative.

When I face a 3-4-3 with my 4-4-2, I switch from my usual approach (Zonal) to a specific-man-marking approach.

For me, that's: DR, DC, and DL set up to mark the three opposition forwards, "loose", low closing down.

ML, MC, MC, and MR set up to explicit man-mark the four oppoisition midfielders, "tight", high closing down.

Yeah, my defenders wind up essentially ignoring the opposition midfield - but the "other DC" is available almost as a sweeper, to pick up anybody that beats his man in the centre of the park. My tight-marking, high-closing-down midfield ensure that the opposition midfield doesn't have enough space to work with.

I have never seen the problem of too much collapsing back towards the goal that you and isuckatfm describe.

One interesting thought there - what "Mentality" did you have them set on? In my experience, a defender who is basically on "Normal" Mentality is fairly defensive - in other words, Mentality is relative *to his base position*. An extra-defensive defender makes a lot more mistakes - horror backpasses, putting it out for a corner when not under pressure, etc. Therefore I've gotten in the habit of not ever setting Mentality below about 5 for any player, and my defenders are usually on a 6 to an 8.

Another interesting thought is "Forward Runs" - I've found that a defender on "Forward Runs Rarely" tends to back off of lose balls that are in easy reach of him. From the screenies of FM'09, you'd see that expressed as DC with a barrow! ... and he certainly behaves like it. However, "Forward Runs Normal" results in a DC who is willing to go get a loose ball, if it makes sense ... and does not give me a DC who is willing to go haring upfield to join the attack.

In combination with the defense I've outlined for the 3-4-3, I usually see the 3 "man" defenders stick with their man, while the "Zonal" defender goes after the loose ball ... but if one of the "man" defenders opts for the loose ball, the "Zonal" defender is available to watch his back.

Too many words this early.

Nicely put and for those people willing to read it some precise and accurate information. The later parts about the behaviour of the centre-backs is particularly worth reading.

You obviously watch more 2-D than real football ;)

Archived