Im rubbish when it comes to computers!!

basically my computer is a bit of a nail, the thing is i dont understand all this computer specs stuff?

i just load fm and play,

my specs are : 512 ram

2.80 ghz?

could anyone tell me wot i might possibly need to make fm 09 run smoother?? and the possible costs, thankyou in advance

thought i would make this an individual post, sorry for double posting!!

laptop/Desktop?

What Operating System are you running?

You could do quite a bit more RAM, 512 in this day and age is dinosaur material :p prices vary depending on Laptop/Desktop.

its a desktop mate, yeah i understand its a dinosaur material haha, thats why im trying get it sorted before release date :p

then the guy above answered your question :D

haha just seen it!!, thanks for the help guys!!

one last question and im sorry if it sounds stupid, but how do i put it in my computer? and do i get things like ram from pc world etc...? i know thats 2 questions

A new computer would certainly help :). The cheapest way would be if you just bought more memory since that is your main bottleneck currently. RAM is cheap and you should be able to find 2 GB of old ram cheaply. You probably need DDR ram, but check first before you buy.

one last question and im sorry if it sounds stupid, but how do i put it in my computer? and do i get things like ram from pc world etc...? i know thats 2 questions

PC world eh no. there are loads of places over the net to buy RAM. I find offtek quite cheap but I have only used it for Laptop RAM http://www.offtek.co.uk/. Its very easy to remove open up your system, find the Memory that looks the same as the new stuff you will be holding :D. There are 2 clips on either side holding it in place, push them away from the RAM to loosen it from the slot and lift it out.

Look at the bottom of the RAM and you will see a slight gap in the chip, there is only 1 way it can go back in. Match up the gap with the slot and push it down and the clips should go back into place, just to check push the clips towards the chip to make sure its secure.

Switch it back on Press F1 to agree to the memory change message that will appear and you're jamming.

P.S Do this with the power off :D.

If you aren't sure then the guys at the shop you purchase from should be able to install it for you. You should check out how much RAM your motherboard will actually support before you go blindly buying additional RAM.

If you want to install it your self it's quite simple, Open up your PC so that you can access the motherboard (this should involve taking one side of the case off) then it's quite simply find your un-used memory slot (or take out an existing bit of RAM if there are no free slots!) then insert your new RAM.

haha cheers for all the help guys, me and technology are like chalk and cheese haha, if id attempted to put ram in my computer i probably would have put it in the cd drive and hoped it would swallow it hahaha!!! 24 days until the new fm bring it on!!

haha cheers for all the help guys, me and technology are like chalk and cheese haha, if id attempted to put ram in my computer i probably would have put it in the cd drive and hoped it would swallow it hahaha!!! 24 days until the new fm bring it on!!

What is the make and model of your PC? I'll check how much RAM it'll support and let you know along with the type that you need.

my mum bought for me bout 4 years ago, always been alright playing fm, just with this 3d i know im going need bump this nail up a bit haha!!

The 3D graphics will have little impact on the amount of RAM you need, it is more important that you have a reasonable graphics card

haha thanks for the help guys, think this pc might find itself at the bottom of my bedroom window within the next 3 weeks!!

its like alan shearer to me though - a legend, but i suppose its going from shearer to savage, and we all know what most people think of him w**k haha

its ace how we're all ripping my pc haha, anyone think they'v got a worse pc than me or is that not possible? haha

haha thanks for the help guys, think this pc might find itself at the bottom of my bedroom window within the next 3 weeks!!

its like alan shearer to me though - a legend, but i suppose its going from shearer to savage, and we all know what most people think of him w**k haha

its ace how we're all ripping my pc haha, anyone think they'v got a worse pc than me or is that not possible? haha

lol, I only play football manager on a laptop.. Can't beat the joy of playing football manager in bed or on the couch so you are not being moaned at so much by the other half lol.

I also want to add more RAM to my Computer (desktop) for FM09 but I havn't got a clue where I can find the specs of my PC, so any help please guys?

Go into the control panel from the start menu (I am assuming your running a Windows OS) and double click on the system icon. This should tell you things like: Manufacturer, Processor & RAM

Go into the control panel from the start menu (I am assuming your running a Windows OS) and double click on the system icon. This should tell you things like: Manufacturer, Processor & RAM

Got it thanks mate, do you have any idea of how much RAM I could have on this computer please mate?

This is what it says when I click the 'System' icon:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension DIM5000

Intel ®

Pentium ® CPU 2.80GHz

2.79GHZ, 504MB of RAM

Physical Address Extension

Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, those will not run faster if you just plug it and NOT tweak it in the BIOS. even if you do tweak it, you will get at most 3-4% faster. so go buy some average priced RAM and with the rest save for CPU upgrade.

Got it thanks mate, do you have any idea of how much RAM I could have on this computer please mate?

This is what it says when I click the 'System' icon:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension DIM5000

Intel ®

Pentium ® CPU 2.80GHz

2.79GHZ, 504MB of RAM

Physical Address Extension

You should be fine (99.9% sure about that without knowing the min specs SI are releasing later this week!) I would however get some more RAM. See below for details on the RAM for your PC. Please note that your OS will limit you to ba able to USE 3.5GB RAM even with 4GB installed

Standard Memory: 256 MB (Removable) or

512 MB (Removable)

Maximum Memory: 4 GB

Expansion: 4 Sockets (2 Banks of 2)

CPU & ChipSet: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Intel 915G

Comments MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN PAIRS for Dual Channel mode.

This system is configurable and may ship with either DDR2-400 (KTD-DM8400/xx) or DDR2-533 (KTD-DM8400A/xx). These are compatible and can be mixed, however when mixed they will default to DDR2-400.

If 4GB is installed, the recognized memory may be reduced to 3.5GB or less (depending on system configuration and memory allocation).

Maximum configurations require a 64-bit operating system.

You should be fine (99.9% sure about that without knowing the min specs SI are releasing later this week!) I would however get some more RAM. See below for details on the RAM for your PC. Please note that your OS will limit you to ba able to USE 3.5GB RAM even with 4GB installed

Standard Memory: 256 MB (Removable) or

512 MB (Removable)

Maximum Memory: 4 GB

Expansion: 4 Sockets (2 Banks of 2)

CPU & ChipSet: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Intel 915G

Comments MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN PAIRS for Dual Channel mode.

This system is configurable and may ship with either DDR2-400 (KTD-DM8400/xx) or DDR2-533 (KTD-DM8400A/xx). These are compatible and can be mixed, however when mixed they will default to DDR2-400.

If 4GB is installed, the recognized memory may be reduced to 3.5GB or less (depending on system configuration and memory allocation).

Maximum configurations require a 64-bit operating system.

Thanks for your help, but to be perfectly honest with you, I havn't got a clue what you are going on about :( sorry. What would I search in Ebay to find the right RAM for my PC?

Can I only install DELL RAM in my laptop? (Dell inspiron 1525)

I have 1Gb and I'm tempted to upgrade.

(I'm a bit like the OP - just turn on and play)

Re: Im rubbish when it comes to computers!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21-10-2008 15:09

Give me 5 minutes guys and I'll search something out for you.

http://www.offtek.co.uk/product.php?manuname=Dell&maincat=1&subcat=1&model=Inspiron+1525

2GB Module (DDR2-667) FT2GDL1710 N/A Samsung, Hynix, Transcend...More In Stock £19.90 £23.38

2GB Module (DDR2-800) FT256MSQ64V8U N/A Samsung, Hynix, Transcend...More In Stock (1-2D) £21.90 £25.73

Dell - Dimension 5000 Series - 1GB Module

If I bought that would I be able to put it into my PC and then increase the RAM by 1GM? (My soecs are a few posts above).

Harryseaess - This is the part code for a 1GB module of Kingston memory that fits into your Dell (KTD-DM8400/1G). Kingston isn't the cheapest but is probably the best RAM in my opinion and has been tested on your PC. This Module will cost you between £14 and £20.

Wee Aja - As with my advice to Harry this is the 2GB Kingston module for your Inspiron (KTD-INSP6000B/2G) should be between £25 & £30

Thanks Daley, you have been so much help! Just one more question though, do you think I should settle for 1GB or should I go for 2GM? Any if I should go for 2GB then is ther any chance that you could find the Kingston Module for me please? (i'm not bothered about spending a bit more money :))

Thanks again mate.

hey guys, just had a nock around with my bro!!

i thought i was the only person rubbish with computers!!

nice to see so many helpful figures around this site,

i cant stop thinking bout the new fm, i want it now!! haha

Maybe go out and get a girl for a few weeks? haha

Thanks Daley, you have been so much help! Just one more question though, do you think I should settle for 1GB or should I go for 2GM? Any if I should go for 2GB then is ther any chance that you could find the Kingston Module for me please? (i'm not bothered about spending a bit more money :))

Thanks again mate.

There is no 2GB module available for the Dimension 5000 so you would have to buy 2 * 1GB modules

Okay mate, thanks very much. Do you have any recomendations for a good website to order it from?

ebuyer isn't bad, probably best to type the part number into google and spend a little time searching through all the sites. I wouldn't buy a second hand bit though but that's just me.

ebuyer isn't bad, probably best to type the part number into google and spend a little time searching through all the sites. I wouldn't buy a second hand bit though but that's just me.

Okay cheers, i've found it on www.dabs.com for £17.00 including VAT, does that sound good? Have you ever heard of dabs?

Sorry if i'm being a pain mate.

Don't worry your not being a pain, it's nice to be able to help. Yeah I've heard of Dabs, they aren't bad!

Good :). And okay, thanks, I will order from them. Thank you so much for all your help, you are a credit to the forums :D.

Good :). And okay, thanks, I will order from them. Thank you so much for all your help, you are a credit to the forums :D.

Cool, and thanks for the praise but I hardly think I deserve it, just helping someone out! Enjoy the additional RAM (are you ok about installing it?) and more importantly enjoy FM2009! As I am really looking forward to.

Cool, and thanks for the praise but I hardly think I deserve it, just helping someone out! Enjoy the additional RAM (are you ok about installing it?) and more importantly enjoy FM2009! As I am really looking forward to.

I don't know how to install it... lol. I was going to get round to that once I had bought it lol. But if you wanted to you could give me simple step by step instructions? But don't worry if you havn't got time :).

Damn right i'm looking forward to FM09, I can't wait! Been on pre-order for ages now lol.

You do deserve the praise mate, you have been such a big help :D.

Archived