Will the huge debts of English clubs be reflected in FM09?

Debt is relative. It should only impact the gameplay if they can't meet the repayments.

BTW It's not just limited to England; Deportivo are 160 million in debt, Valencia are 350 million and Atletico, are something, like 70 million in debt.

I'm certainly glad I don't have to program that aspect of the game! It must be very difficult to get it balanced when you consider the current financial climate and no-one quite sure how much it will affect football at various different levels. We want FM to be realistic, but it is a game and one which can last for 100 seasons so the financial model has to be balanced to be sensible for all that time, not just reflect the current dodgy state of finances with respect to the overall state of the world economy

Personally I see this as one aspect of FM that should be left out for the sake of enjoyment. I seen too many big clubs go into administration on 08 and it's ridiculous

I'm all for realism, but not if it means seeing the likes of man united going into administration

Personally I see this as one aspect of FM that should be left out for the sake of enjoyment. I seen too many big clubs go into administration on 08 and it's ridiculous

I'm all for realism, but not if it means seeing the likes of man united going into administration

I agree, the AI isn't equipped to handle the debt problems at large clubs and they rapidly slip down the tables or out of the league and ruins some long term games.

I'm certainly glad I don't have to program that aspect of the game! It must be very difficult to get it balanced when you consider the current financial climate and no-one quite sure how much it will affect football at various different levels. We want FM to be realistic, but it is a game and one which can last for 100 seasons so the financial model has to be balanced to be sensible for all that time, not just reflect the current dodgy state of finances with respect to the overall state of the world economy

You're dead right, what the game does just now is tries to maintain the status quo, in that there's no inflation or fluctations in TV income or prize money, for example. In itself, that must be hard to program, so that you don't have clubs going bust left right and centre and at the same time none getting too rich.

Of course in real life tv, sponsorship and prize money will go up and down. Personally like a lot of people I can see the bubble bursting and a lot of English clubs getting in very serious bother rather soon - they're all currently borrowing against future income, which even if it kept going up, is unsustainable, but in the current climate, will probably go down - but that's another story.

What I'd like to see is an element of unpredictability, perhaps as an option, whereby all these contracts are re-negotiated every 4-5 years and have a direct impact on what goes on in the game. That though, is probably a long way off.

It's very hard to model clubs real world finances in the game, but there definitely should be a safety net to prevent large clubs from going into administration and slipping down several leagues as often as it happens in FM08.

Archived