why does the last 16 kill me

Why does my team walk through the group stages of the CL two years running beat Madrid at home and drew away this year and Beat juve at home and nowwowly lost away this year as well. Yet when i get to the last 16 Lyon rip me apart with a side far worse than those ive already beaten. WHy??

Chelsea done it last year although they where stronger than Lyon

Teams are more focused in the knockout stages. You can afford to lose a game in the group stage more than in the knockout stage. My Derby County team in FM07 used to regularly look like world beaters as they walzed through their group, but only made it to the final once where they got walloped by Arsenal. I tried to pretend I cared, for the fans sake of course, but it's hard to get excited about the Champions League!

Any knock-out round has a way higher impact of luck/bad luck. In 180 mins any defense lapse, any missed sitter or any wrong referee decision can cost you the round. This is why as irl (see the Dutch at the Euro) a successful group stage can never guarantee success in the knock-out rounds.

Also Chelsea is a team which is certainly as good as Juve or Real and Lyon is not all that bad either. Even if you are a better side they can always beat the odds by luck or just by employing a tactic which works well against yours (I don't mean AI cheating - there might just be a bad match of tactics from your perspective there).

I have a determined group.

And like i said i expected Chelsea to beat us, and i was pleased by the fact my team scored home and away. But considering when i played Real last seaosn they ripped me apart in the groups this season was the exact opposite. Lyon isnt that bad a side. But surley, despite one defencive mistake which i accept was my teams fault. their not 4-0 better than a team that has only conseaded 18 goals in all competitions going into the game. They doubled the amount i have conseaded in the whole CL tournament in one game. Lyon surley arent that good.

It was one game. Hull City beat Arsenal 1-2 at The Emirates, Arsenal then beat Porto 4-0. Does that mean Hull are miles better than Porto and would be amongst the favourites to win the Champions League if they were there, with Dean Windass scoring the winner in the final from his zimmerframe?

Im not saying that. Im refering to the fact i played well, and vefore the game id conseaded 4 goals in the CL ok one was an og i accept that but im Surley not 3 goals worse than Lyon. With a fully fit side as well and no suspensions.

Yeah, but what glamdring said: It was just one game (or two). Any side can lose against any other within those few minutes and at times even 4-0.

Again, think of just how the Dutch got their butts kicked by the Russians just after easily outclassing France and Italy (which again might have been games that might have gone the other way by the same margins on any other day).

Im not saying that. Im refering to the fact i played well, and vefore the game id conseaded 4 goals in the CL ok one was an og i accept that but im Surley not 3 goals worse than Lyon. With a fully fit side as well and no suspensions.

Well...it would seem that you are!

Well...it would seem that you are!

Only consolation i have is i still have the home leg. Which before hand i have an OF game. Im currently weinning that OF game 2-0 with half an hour to play. Ive never lost a CL game directly after an OF game so im hoping i can muster somthing special. Not that i will because i build my team on a good defence and one star striker and id need him to score a barrel load.

Also before the game their top 3 goalscorers where all on 3. My third top goalscorer was on 3 with the 2 above him on 10 and 6.

Could be one of a number of factors:

1/ low fitness for your squad - by the time the knock-out stages come along some squad members may be tired?

2/ Low "important matches" stats for some players - the pressure of a knock out game just gets to them.

3/ Weather - your tactic may be perfectly suited to the milder weather of sept-nov but falls down in the colder climates of feb?

4/ Opposition are trying to win - in group stages they may settle for a draw/narrow loss, knowing that they will qualify anyway.

Hope this helps :D

Archived