Tutoring: Players that have been in the 1st team

Smac

A highly specific question on tutoring. What I'd like to know is: If you have young players who seem to resist tutoring, likely because of having played a spell in the 1st team, do they ever recover their ability to be pupils if you bench them?

This has happened to me every career game, and is happening again now: I've brought a team up from the lower divisions and have come into some serious money via transfers, TV rights, off-season friendlies and cups, and attendances. With that cash I've brought in some decent old talent who have great mental stats and PPMs with the hope of spending a few seasons training the next generation while holding my ground in the 1st division of Spain.

I've split this save off from my 'career' save to experiment specifically with Tutoring, and as such, have used Genie scout and FMM to try to pair up old veterans with promising youth. So I have access to all the hidden stats and can change them. But it looks like there are some stats not covered in FMM and Genie that must have to do with squad status, tutor-ability, etc.. as nothing seems to break the spell: Some players become un-Tutorable as young as 19 or 20.

The only common denominator is that these are the same players who had long runs in the 1st team in the previous season. I've 'peeked' at perceived squad status (PSS) by offering them new contracts, which is a crude way of determining what squad status they think they should have. Yet these range from 'backup' to 'hot prospect' to 'Key Player' for the 8 or so lads in question.

The player values range from 300,000 for a 21 year old DC to 5,000,000 Euros for a 21 year old striker. Yet I do have plenty of newer players worth as much or more. I also have plenty of players with higher reputation, CA, PA, mental stats, etc.. as potential tutors and tutees. All the new players accept tutoring. Only the 'old' players refuse.

Any wisdom on the subject would be great!

i'm puzzled too, as in previous barca games thuram has tutored sakho with no both being delighted, but in my new one, puyol started to tutor sakho, but then he pulled out due to personality differences, and so when i suggested thuram, i got a "Sakho rejects benefit claims", and wouldn't be tutored. i know that there's fault at my part due to the personality thing initially, but i still feel that he should've gone with thuram, as he did previously

Hmm. I'm talking about players for whom tutoring doesn't even show up as an option. I think the 'rejects' tutoring thing can be written down to chance, personality, CA or Rep differences, etc.. But beyond this there seems to be something that shuts off tutoring entirely for young players. I think its % of 1st team appearances or something and I hope it wears off over time. We'll see.

Very interesting post.

I have been toying with the tutoring option on and off.

On this occasion I am managing a team in the Ukrainian First League, who have a wealth of reserve team players so I have set about say I choose x3 first team players to mentor the youth that is predominanlty my reserves players they are litterally all youth players to be frank with you.

However, I have played several of the youth/reserth players in the first team/11 many times however the only player that I have set to be tutored and never play in the first team wasn't too pleased with the 1st tutoring the 2nd however he hit the roof. The others were fine, maybe its a personality trait miss-match with each other.

This is something that has puzzled me and I'd like to know more on the subject.

In my current game, my "Hot Prospect" defender is only 18 yrs old yet there is no option to select a tutor for him, which is a shame.

He has only made 2 or 3 1st team appearances in his "Career" to date and I'd like to pair him up with a senior player.

since this thread started it's caused me to be quite nervous. i've got a brilliant regen, and i'm bringing in helder postiga in january as he has the same personality and some brilliant ppm's. however, the regen has started to break into the first team and is scoring pretty much every game, but i'm playing him less because i really want him to get tutored! this is poorly implemented as irl a manager would never have to sacrifice a player's playing time in order for him to develop as a player!

since this thread started it's caused me to be quite nervous. i've got a brilliant regen, and i'm bringing in helder postiga in january as he has the same personality and some brilliant ppm's. however, the regen has started to break into the first team and is scoring pretty much every game, but i'm playing him less because i really want him to get tutored! this is poorly implemented as irl a manager would never have to sacrifice a player's playing time in order for him to develop as a player!

I think the relative position of the tutor and the player within the club would matter. Why would a brilliant young kid who is a first teamer, maybe rich and arrogant too, be willing to learn from some ageing reserve who is rotting on the bench.

However, I do agree that maybe say a young first team centre half might be very willing to learn a trick or two from his veteran inspirational captain who is his regular partner in the centre of defence.

I think the relative position of the tutor and the player within the club would matter. Why would a brilliant young kid who is a first teamer, maybe rich and arrogant too, be willing to learn from some ageing reserve who is rotting on the bench.

However, I do agree that maybe say a young first team centre half might be very willing to learn a trick or two from his veteran inspirational captain who is his regular partner in the centre of defence.

hmm, never thought of it that way, i'm hoping the game won't be that detailed lol. i'm in december now so i'll find out soon enough.

the regen himself isn't earning that much, and has only really started to perform this season, so i'm hoping that he's still grounded enough to learn. what might make a difference is that he is "fairly ambitious" while postiga is ambitious, and in my experience that works better than a players who are both fairly ambitious or ambitious.

Hmm. I'm talking about players for whom tutoring doesn't even show up as an option. I think the 'rejects' tutoring thing can be written down to chance, personality, CA or Rep differences, etc.. But beyond this there seems to be something that shuts off tutoring entirely for young players. I think its % of 1st team appearances or something and I hope it wears off over time. We'll see.

Do you know what the CA/Rep of the players you can no longer tutor are? I think I read somewhere that there is no option to tutor any youngsters if their CA is more than a certain amount (could be a % of the CA of your squad?). The other thing that comes to mind is perhaps it is involved with reputation and their reps increased if they had a spell in the first team?

I've never had both tutor and student happy with the outcome of the tutoring, be it before 'X is reluctant to be tutored by Y, but will give it a go,' or after, 'X didn't feel he learnt anything from Y.'

The Tutor always seems to be happy to teach, yet NONE of my youth squad have ever been happy to accept, which I think is ridiculous. A Nobody who has come through the academy does not want to be tutored by someone in the first team of one of the best teams in the game. Why on earth would he reject this?!

The Tutor always seems to be happy to teach, yet NONE of my youth squad have ever been happy to accept, which I think is ridiculous. A Nobody who has come through the academy does not want to be tutored by someone in the first team of one of the best teams in the game. Why on earth would he reject this?!

I can certainly imagine it. The highest level I played athletics at was university, but when I first joined the squad as a freshman, there was a junior who was one of the best in the nation. He was also arrogant, curt, harsh, and full of himself. He criticized, but he didn't coach .. if somebody had suggested to me that he mentor me, I'd have brushed them off - I hated the guy. Skill on the pitch or no.

no worries, postiga is here and tutoring gabriel pons :D

Do you know what the CA/Rep of the players you can no longer tutor are? I think I read somewhere that there is no option to tutor any youngsters if their CA is more than a certain amount (could be a % of the CA of your squad?). The other thing that comes to mind is perhaps it is involved with reputation and their reps increased if they had a spell in the first team?

As I mentioned, I have players with higher CA getting tutored. I have older players getting tutored. I have players with higher reputation getting tutored.

The only factor that I can see is that they played >60% of the matches last season, before I became massively wealthy and brought in 30 tutors to run a bootcamp all season.

What I've started thinking is that there could be a ratio of 1st team appearances beyond which a player is considered non-tutorable. If this is true the ratio should pass back over the tipping point this season if I bench the louts.

I've never had both tutor and student happy with the outcome of the tutoring, be it before 'X is reluctant to be tutored by Y, but will give it a go,' or after, 'X didn't feel he learnt anything from Y.'

I get them both being happy occasionally. It does happen, but you're right that it's often that the student skulks into tutoring, whilst the tutor is happy enough to tutor.

Archived