I Don't Like Throw Ins

I have a few issues with the way throw ins are dealt with in the current match engine.

- I've never seen anyone take a quick throw in, they always dander over to the ball at a leisurely pace and then throw it to the opposition :p

- I've never seen a defender throw the ball back to the keeper.

- In the defensive third the team seems to wait for everyone to get into position before taking the throw in, in the end everyone is marked.

- Every so often (but not that often) when I have a throw in, in the oppositions defensive third the opposition leave one of my defenders in the box by himself, my team take a long throw and my defender is one on one with the opp keeper.

I only watch highlights most of the time so i'm probably missing a few of these because they aren't highlights, but I don't see them that often in full match mode either.

Is it a problem or not?

I have a few issues with the way throw ins are dealt with in the current match engine.

- I've never seen anyone take a quick throw in, they always dander over to the ball at a leisurely pace and then throw it to the opposition :p

Good point - a strange omission

- I've never seen a defender throw the ball back to the keeper.

Maybe this isn't highlight worthy? Hence why we don't see it, also it doesn't happen that often irl so maybe even when watching full matches it isn't always there?

Still, i haven't seen it in game, even in full matches.

- In the defensive third the team seems to wait for everyone to get into position before taking the throw in, in the end everyone is marked.

TBH that happens IRL - if the throw in isn't a quick one, then more often than not the guy who has the ball thrown to him is heavily marked.

Maybe in game they should move a little more?

- Every so often (but not that often) when I have a throw in, in the oppositions defensive third the opposition leave one of my defenders in the box by himself, my team take a long throw and my defender is one on one with the opp keeper.

Haven't seen this lol

I only watch highlights most of the time so i'm probably missing a few of these because they aren't highlights, but I don't see them that often in full match mode either.

Is it a problem or not?

Another omission - has anyone seen a foul throw in game?

Another omission - has anyone seen a foul throw in game?

No - but I'm not that bothered that it's not in there. I'd rather see a goalie sent of for handball or a debatable goal (was it over the line or not) or players with amazing dribbling running through players a la Messi style. But it's the sort of little thing that could make games feel more life-like, so I'm not against it either.

Interestingly (or not) I had an opposition score past me directly from a corner last night. Never seen that before, so it was pretty cool to see something new.

On throw-ins someone else has a thread about Rory Delap style throws, and if you have someone amazy at throw-ins, it'd be nice to use that as a weapon. (You could also set up your team to specifically defend long-throw ins in a similar fashion to how you set up your team to defend corners and free kicks).

No - but I'm not that bothered that it's not in there. I'd rather see a goalie sent of for handball or a debatable goal (was it over the line or not) or players with amazing dribbling running through players a la Messi style. But it's the sort of little thing that could make games feel more life-like, so I'm not against it either.

Interestingly (or not) I had an opposition score past me directly from a corner last night. Never seen that before, so it was pretty cool to see something new.

On throw-ins someone else has a thread about Rory Delap style throws, and if you have someone amazy at throw-ins, it'd be nice to use that as a weapon. (You could also set up your team to specifically defend long-throw ins in a similar fashion to how you set up your team to defend corners and free kicks).

Yeah i'd prefer to see those additions too, would add to the ME considerably.

Silva has scored a couple of direct corners for me, i do love idiot GKs :D

I'd agree with most points, although I'm happy no-one throws it to my goalkeeper - I have enough problems with players (especially full-backs) lazily playing the ball to my goalkeeper, only for an opposition player to nip in and score. My goalkeeper is between the sticks for a reason! I want him to stop the ball going between the posts and into that net thing. I don't want him getting involved in the game in any other way because he is an ignaramous who is in goal because he can't control a football to save his life. I do not want him taking an active part in my team's play. I do not want him making himself available to receive the ball. I want him to stand there like an idiot all game until the opposition look like scoring, then I want him to perform heroics :)

As for the rest, it does really annoy me that my players take ages over a throw-in, ignoring the winger stood in acres of space unmarked until he gets marked by a much taller player and then my thrower decided to hurl it at him at head height and the opposition head upfield and score :(

As for my player unmarked in the box, usually for me it is a striker...my defenders are not so good with one on ones!

I thought he was talking about soemthing else.

What happens to me all the time is when my opponents has a throw-in near their penalty box, their throw-in taker throws the ball to their defender and he simply let the ball slide to my striker's feet who's one-on-one with the keeper and then scores.

I did mean defender actually, but as glamdring says i'd rather it was a striker because the defenders usually fluff the one on one. It's a bit like the corner exploit, but I don't know how to make it happen and it doesn't always happen :confused:

Archived