Probably a bit late but I have an idea re regens.

Never use them myself as I like to keep the game as realistic as possible. At the same time I find the game gets less so as time goes on obviously due to players retiring etc and therefore morew regens appearing.

One of the reasons for this it seems is the lack of ability in a lot of the Reserve/Under 18 squads of a lot of Clubs. I play as West Ham for instance and despite being included IRL the likes of Sears, Collison, Tomkins etc never really make the grade in FM.

So how about rather than flooding the game with regens do we not have certain youth players given higher PA's than what they may actually reach IRL.

Eg, Make Freddie Sears a Wonder Kid who will become great in the game. He may or may not IRL, we obviously don't know that, but for the sake of realism in the game surely this would be more acceptable that having a "Zico Maradona" thrown in who becomes top class but doesnt actually exist IRL.

It really is the one downside to the game that I can see is the lack of your U18's who end up in your first team.

Thoughts?

This is an issue I find too, although it depends which club you are at. U18s at Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd etc are most likely to have to go and "make it" somewhere else. U18s at Hibernian, for example, have a fair chance of being given a 1st team chance if they seem to be good enough so the record of a club like Hibs of bringing through youth players in recent years is terrific, but sadly not reflected in the game in my experience.

The first line of the first post is totally lost on me though, btw! I can't understand what point it is trying to make.

So we dont have any more players come through, we just have the ones in the db?

I fail to see how that can possibly work. As a player who players 25-30 year games I think it is a ridiculous suggestion. How about in 2025 when there is no player in any team under 31/32? Is that realistic?

There is nothing unrealistic about the regen system (except maybe for a few stats problems) but in terms of new players coming through - it is not unrealistic at all.

If your saying you want less regens, or better quality of regens, then why not, instead of automatically putting the regens into your squad, your given a list of youngsters that are currently in youth systems/projects and can choose over a period of time wich players you would like to give pro contracts. Then you could filter through for the young gems. The standard and amount of youngsters that are worthwhile would differ between leagues, e.g. Man Utd get better regens than Barrow. But Barrow may still get one or two wonderkids of Blue Sq.

This may be a dredful idea when i read it back, but hey-ho.

I'm not saying get rid if regens at all. I'm just saying that the PA and CA of most of the real life youngsters in the game is poor. Understandable to an extent because we don't know how they are going to fare.

All I'm saying is for the argument of realism is up the PA and CA of real life youngsters so more can end up as first team players in your squad over time rather than flood the game with imaginary regens.

As I said in my example, let Freddie Sears be a wonderkid rather than a player you will dump once Barnet come in because the way the game is at the moment not enough real life youngsters end up being good enough.

It would be interesting to see how many U18's someone ends up with in their first team in a games 5 or 10 years compared to regens.

The Database is researched to the point where young players will get in the team. You look at Ronaldo for an example - FM had it that he would be a world beater before Man Utd signed him.

Sears may not be that great in this iteration but that will have changed after his appearences now. What do you want them to do? Increase all young players CA and PA? I imagine it is a very difficult job to see how young players like Sears with very little experience will turn out in 10 years time.

Si try and get it right and of course, they will get some wrong.

Archived