Spending in the summer transfer window

Do you spend in the summer transfer window?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you spend in the summer transfer window?

• yes, i always need to improve my squad every summer
    • yes, buying a big name player makes a massive difference.
    • yes, i need to replace sold/retired/released players
    • no, i'm happy with my current squad and will spend in january if needed
    • no, i rely on my current squad and youth players
    • no, i don't buy any players if i've been sucessful in the previous season

i managed to finish my 4th season at sevilla on the same day as the transfer window closed and i was glued to sky sports news all day. i really felt in the mood to spend the 18M i was given, despite having just 5M in the bank, but i ended up selling surplus players and replacing my diabolical youth intake with poached barcelona and athletic bilbao youngsters. i had so many decent/potentially world class loaned players who have come back better than they were a year before, who i suppose count as new signings.

however, i the past, i have noticed that at least one big name signing makes too much of a positive difference to ignore. not making a signing in the past has had an unfairly dramatic negative effect on the whole season... however, this was on fm07. i'm not sure if it happens on fm08, but i'm about to go into the next season without a major signing.

what does everyone else do?

in slight contradiction to my earlier post, i bought 1 midfielder, De La Red, just incase one of the bigger teams in europe poach Zapater from me. he was only £3.4M, and he fit my match situation formation tactics perfectly.

on paper, my squad is better than last seasons 5th place, which suggested to me that they took a year to gel (afterall, an unlucky loss to madrid in the cup semi and PSG in extra time in the UC suggests we'd gelled late in the season). maybe bringing in too many players would cause the squad to lose solidarity to accomodate new first teamers... i'm done with spending now anyway, got 1 week left till the window shuts. i need to keep who i've got, but otherwise i can see this current squad going the whole season without any additions at least.

Archived