Reversing a Bosman decision?

I have a wonderkid midfielder who is determined to leave the club when his contract expires in 9 months. He wasn't happy about his first-team chances last season - despite playing about 20 games in all competitions. He is now my first choice midfielder and I am constantly praising him, asking his advice etc. to try and keep him on but he still won't sign an extension. I was three months left until players can poach him on a pre-contract. What I'm asking is this: is it worth trying to keep him or should I just resign myself to him leaving and try and get some money for him?

Have a final go in December, if he refuses to discuss terms you have to decided if getting a fee him & letting him go in January is worth more than keeping him for the final 6 months of his contract.

You rarely get transfer offers in January in my experience for expiring players. If you offer him out clubs will just offer him a pre-contract instead. AI between AI seem to make bids though. Really sucks though, but maybe he's a bit of a Ravel Morrison or Pogba (if he doesn't sign on).

From my experience when a player has "leaving on a free transfer" as their availability status they never change their mind. I lost a promising midfielder to this.

Offer him out now and try to get money. As mentioned don't offer him out when there is less than 6 months left because they'll just offer a contract.

Also I thought if a youngster (under 23?) was poached like this compensation must be paid to the club. Maybe somebody knows the rules regarding this. I didn't get any when my player left on a free.

Also I thought if a youngster (under 23?) was poached like this compensation must be paid to the club. Maybe somebody knows the rules regarding this. I didn't get any when my player left on a free.

I think you only get compensation if you offer the player a contract, but you can't offer a contract once they have decided to leave on a free transfer so you don't get any money.

Archived