How to beat 442 Manchester?

I always struggle against them.Their 442 is a balanced formation that is very hard to be broke and this because they have top players too and they close down fast and high the pitch.World class players with not even 1 weak player fited in a balanced tactic such a 442 its almost impossible to be broke.

Logical tactic would be 451 with 3 midfielders and central one as playmaker.But i tried this and their 2 midfielders(usually Anderson and Fletcher) have no big problems in marking and blocking my 3 including playmaker.

Im interested if anyone had this issue and if found any solution i would like to know.

I usually beat them in the league. The latest at Old Trafford, they were top, I was 7th. (9th season, my first season with under-performing Man City).

4-5-1

Anchor man

2 x CM (one a playmaker: support; the other CM attack)

2 x advanced wingers, attacking.

1 x deep lying forward, attack. (must be pacy with good finishing and composure)

Playing style = balanced, control

Slow pace, "yes" to counter-attacking

Shouts = retain possession + play through defence

Result = 3-2 to Man City.

1-0 down

1-1

1-2 up

2-2

2-3 in injury time (after going 4-3-3 overload, "get ball forward")

So not perfect, but it's my default for teams that are theoretically "better" than me.

I always have a lot of issues trying to stop Rooney, he just doesn't have any weaknesses.

Like with all top class players, if you are trying to stop him when he is on the ball, you have lost half the battle already. Look to cut off his most dangerous lines of supply.

I found a counter 4411 with atacking mentality ,wide width and high pressing+ high d. line,focus through middle works pretty decent giving me a chance.The key of succes is my amc who really must perform well with off the ball and vision/passing.

Shut down thier forwards either by playing a deep defensive line and man marking rooney(+close down always and tight mark) or playing a normal line and sending thier pacey striker out to the wings. Realy depends what side he is on and what weak foot he has.

Make sure thier wingers don't come inside and boss the midfield.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/904/mu2r.png

Second match,i should won but Rooney did not wanted and invented a knocked ball past my keeper...so far so good,this is good sign that tactic works especially in defense and its counter and press their 442 MU pretty well.Glad to found something that really works cause i really struggled against them by playing formations such 4231 451 and 433 where AMl/AMR or wide strikers dont track back and this is critical as better teams with 442 will tear u apart.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/904/mu2r.png

Second match,i should won but Rooney did not wanted and invented a knocked ball past my keeper...so far so good,this is good sign that tactic works especially in defense and its counter and press their 442 MU pretty well.Glad to found something that really works cause i really struggled against them by playing formations such 4231 451 and 433 where AMl/AMR or wide strikers dont track back and this is critical as better teams with 442 will tear u apart.

Nice job Bebetu, but remember that's home game... Away game will be an entirely different experience xD

I find 4-5-1 to be the best formation against United. Basically try and take control of the midfield and hold it.

4411 its better IMO since wingers track back their dangerous fulbacks and u still control the midfielld.

4411 its better IMO since wingers track back their dangerous fulbacks and u still control the midfielld.

Well how I set up my midfield against united is:

---o---

o--o--o

---o---

So you could argue its a 4-1-3-1-1 (which is what I would call it outside the game), or a 4-4-1-1, or as the game sees it (as far as I can recall) a 4-5-1. With wingers set to automatic.

i have found a solid midfield formation works for me, i use a 4-1-3-2 thats with 1 DMid and 3 Cms i set the two outside ones to box to box player and the centre one as playmaker, play a balanced short passing game and if im still drawing with 20 mins to go i swap my dmid to a cam and i 9/10 get a goal but i most likely concede after so be careful who u do this against. i have won most of my games if not its great for keeping the clean sheats, only lost 4 games in season 1 with newcastle. drew 14 and won 20 with a goal difference of + 35 finished 3rd behind utd and city. currently in season 2 i am sitting in a solid 1st place. with ten games remaining.

Archived