Linux Support

Would be brilliant if Linux support was added. Windows sucks a large dose of manure, and I'm sure their marketshare will decline over time. Mac is already gaining ground and I'm sure Linux will too when it gets even more user-friendly and easy to use. Just a matter of time.

So how about gaining a marketshare and competitive advantage before other competitors SI? icon_smile.gif

Linux is an operating system that is part of the GNU GPL and as such is open-source free software. It is similar to Unix and the software is noted for its stability. Many devices run Linux as their embedded native system (PS3, Nokia N95, PS2 to name those I know are in my house).

The software is largely used and preferred on servers due to its stability, security and cost. It is also well supported with a depth of applications that rival the windows counterparts.

Software on Linux systems generally requires to be compiled and installed by hand, a process which makes Linux notoriously difficult for non-technical people to use. The trade off for this though is the old joke "you must actually make the virus on Linux before it can attack you".

Linux has a prominent emulator called WINE (WINE Is Not an Emulator - geek word trickery) and many windows games play extremely well through this emulator as does typical windows software without a competing open source counterpart.

I doubt within the next 5 years at least SI would even consider allowing the release of a Linux version of FM purely due to the fact that there are well over 100 linux distributions out there (although they are primarily based around 6+ base ditributions).

However to finish this off, here is an article I found last year. I haven't tested it as I haven't got Linux installed atm. I am probably going to dual boot when I get a shiny new PC this autumn for FM 09. Makes interesting reading though.

Enjoy all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Class. Might i know you?(As being a good player) Did you ever play with Storer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Storer? Nope, i have lived and stayed at school in hove part of brighton (west side lol )

There's also a thread on FM 2008 here.

Basically, the game works pretty well, except:

1) Joining multiplayer games (but no problem hosting)

2) Generated faces don't work (which is a real pitty...).

I'd buy 5 copies of the game if it supported Linux!

Archived