Weird retirement.

No real question or quandary here just thought i'd share something that shocked and annoyed me a bit. After about 18 months of trying to sign a young 'keeper born in the 90's i was at a loss to see this pop up in my inbox; take a gander;

bhcbv5.png

Where i realise there are often a few odd retirements i have got to say this has been the most surprising i have seen first hand. I challenge you all to find a younger retirement :)

He was unemployed for a short spell mate but had offers because i had fierce competition for him but he failed a work permit for me which was annoying 'cuz he had been brought up at West Ham. I know like i said in my original post its not a huge shock but still surprising given his age and international involvement.

Look at Jacob Lensky. After retiring at Feyenoord because he lost his love for the game, he came back at FC Utrecht where he did retire again because of alcohol problems. He's only 23 years old. (no link because i only know the dutch-language news item)

. . . always gets me when young players retire, the whole academy process is extremely cut throat from my experience and to go through all that to retire when you've just become a pro, its mad.

Yes you would think so, but then maybe not so. A guy I work with was a tennis player and in his younger days played as a pro. Wasn't up there with the best in the world by any stretch, but, his thinking is it has to do with ambition and pressure.

By that he said that, as a child when playing and practicing, you dream and believe that you are going to be the best in the world. So that pressure you always carry around with you. Then once on the circuit for a while your limitations come into play.

So you have two choices, continue to play and possibly make a decent living just playing the circuits or retire. Some continue to play.

Others knowing or realising that they are not going to be the best in the world choose to retire, because if they cannot meet the expectations of their dreams then the game holds no joy. And, in some ways by continuing to play just re-enforces the fact they were not good enough (personal expectations) and then depression sets in.

There was a fair bit more and it was an interesting discussion, unfortunately the details escape me as it was some time ago, so just the gist of it I am afraid.

in a way oliver gill never actually had pro terms at united. always a player and student and decided to take the student route. wouldnt want to take on his university football team!!

He was onloan at my lot Bradford City last season with Reece Brown looked a good Centre Half to be fair!

Yeah from our positions it seems like madness, im sure most of us would give up what we have to be a Man United player, or a player at any club really, but for those who are there and still not good enough it would be a completely different situation. I gave up music for a while when i realised that i was never going to make it in a band, it was disheartening to think of always playing with no chance of doing anything with it. I'm over that now, but for a while it was enough to make me never want to play the drums again.

I recon Oliver Gill was a bit scared of being thought of as just having a contract coz of who his dad is though...

Also, this happens all the time players retiring really young when they cant get a contract somewhere, play 5 seasons as a prem club and look at your transfer history, I would bet that at least a quarter of your reserve and u19 teams at the start of the game will have retired within a season after you have released them.

Archived