Steam issue

Ever figure something is wrong? Try disconnecting and trying again?

Done that, rebooted my Mac twice, renamed the ClientRegistry files, etc etc. I'm no thicko when it comes to computers, but all I wanna do is be able to play a game I paid for when I want to. Is that so much to ask?

It's made worse when people try and defend it, which will inevitably come in this thread sooner or later.

I suggest you have a look at the Steam FAQ thread. It could be something on the Mac end, you may need to do something to let Steam work with the Mac OS. I suggest you google the issue and figure out what it is.

I said this in another thread. I bought a game unrelated to FM and it won't play on my laptop because of a Nvidia issue. Neither Nvidia tech support or the game support were able to tell me what the problem is or how to fix it, regardless that my computer meets their specs. Turns out I had to download a *.dll version of nvidia file and replace it.

So, I'm not thicko with computers either, I know that sometimes there is more to a problem than meets the eye.

Seriously go through the Steam FAQ and google the issue, and search the Steam forums.

It will work. It might take a bit of time to track down what is different on the new system or the reinstall than before, but it will work.

Come on guys, who are you all kidding ? of course you will all buy FM13 without a 2nd thought.

Installing it with steam is the easiest thing I have ever done on a computer, obviously you guys are just missing something, it is actually really easy.

FM Should make it clearer that it's a one time activation via Steam. And they could put in options to turn off automatic updates etc. via scripts or something.

Also patches do have to be downloaded but they don't have to be applied. I feel this can be circumvented by FM by installing scripts. That is, if a download is due via Steam then FM could detect this and pause the download. When the user launches FM it could be informed that a download is available.

Or something along those lines.

FM Should make it clearer that it's a one time activation via Steam. And they could put in options to turn off automatic updates etc. via scripts or something.

Also patches do have to be downloaded but they don't have to be applied. I feel this can be circumvented by FM by installing scripts. That is, if a download is due via Steam then FM could detect this and pause the download. When the user launches FM it could be informed that a download is available.

Or something along those lines.

Sorry but as soon as the download starts, you cant load up FM and thus it's unplayable until the patch is fully downloaded and installed. Turning off automatic updates doesn't work sorry. Only way to get it to work is by being in offline mode.

That is not what I was saying. I was saying FM should have some way of recognising that a download is or was in progress. When you launch FM it should ask if you want it to continue. In Essence, FM should be able to block a Steam update via some sort of way. Steam automatically downloads and installs the patches. I don't see any reason why FM can't interpret these and "pause" them, then prompt the user on next launch - continue installation or pause installation?

Seems plausible.

To me it doesn't seem implausible that this could happen:

Steam Updates for FM available

They download to a different folder on FM

FM scans this different folder when launching

Prompts user to use the install files

Prompt also includes options to disable updates, and/or automatically install updates etc.

Archived