West Ham: Looking to the Summit

arinceo

200px-Central_Coast_Mariners_logosvg.png

As you can see from the post count I'm new, but I felt compelled to start a thread of my own. I'm new to FM, been playing FIFA since 2005 though so I'm no stranger to football video games. Whether that will translate across I'm not sure, but we'll see how it goes. ;)

I'm starting off with my hometown team, the Central Coast Mariners. Known for being a superb team unit that doesn't outlay too much money on players, we've reached the A-League grand final on three occcasions, but unfortunately lost all of them; the most heart-breaking of which was last season, when we surrendered a 2-0 lead with four minutes to go in extra time (we let in a goal off the last kick of the game to go to penalties and lost it from there). However it was considered an incredible achievement as the side was only expected to finish 7th which is the media's expectations for me this season actually, but I'm targeting top four :)

Manager History

2011-12 (Central Coast): 3rd in the League, Grand Final Winners

2012-13 (Central Coast): 1st in the League, Grand Final Winners, Asian Champions League Semi-Finalists

2013-14 (Central Coast): Resigned in November, 2nd in the League

2013-14 (West Ham): Currently 15th in the League

I've already played through the friendlies for this season, and despite the low level of opposition, I must say the results have been rather incredible:

Friendlies1112-1.png

We were incredibly wasteful in front of goal to begin with, but now my first-choice strikers Ibini and Kwasnik have settled and are banging them in. Unfortunately I suffered a lot of injuries in pre-season, including my teenage sensation Mustafa Amini, who is on loan from Dortmund. He was ready to play in my final friendly but I forgot to sub him on :lol:

Thanks a bunch guys, but unfortunately I did a little too well in the first season :lol:

Season1112.png

The turning point was definitely the 2-0 loss to Adelaide before the run our epic undefeated streak. We'd been making steady progreess up the table before then, but went down to nine men after 23 minutes with my lead scorer Kwasnik being sent off and an my right back. I gave them a rocket after the game and brought in Matt Simon to replace Kwasnik, who then went on an incredible scoring run to finish second to top scorer for the entire league!

Much appreciated guys :D I'm not sure I can retain my title though, I lost several key players during the season who helped build my momentum, then due to my board's financial restrictions (due to the fact we're losing about 300k a month) I lost a fair few more in the off-season And while I have replaced them with some good players I'm not sure the squad will gel together as well. I guess we'll just have to see what happens though :) I've also applied to be the Aussie Under 23s manager, but I still haven't heard back from them.

And deadfncat; Amazing game for you, utterly depressing for me :lol:

So I started the pre-season games a little too early as you can see, but I managed to fix it up and have a fairly solid run-in to the start of the season. Bernie Ibini was particularly good, scoring 9 goals across the 8 games he appeared in.

Friendlies1213.png

However I was a little nervous coming into the first fixture of the new campaign after being drawn against last season's minor premiers and Grand finalists Adelaide. But apparently I didn't need to be :lol:

So my time at Central Coast has come to an end. I lost in the ACL semi finals care of a 93rd minute winner, which was okay, but the club hasn't been able to improve its revenue via sponsorship and despite having the 2nd lowest wage bill in the league we lose a minimum of 70k a month, 200k average. Lost 2m last season and the only chance I'd have of balancing the books is selling my 5-6 best players. So I played up to here, then resigned as some big positions were opening up overseas. I missed out on the Fulham job to Sam Allardyce, but fortunately I was able to step into his role at WEST HAM :D I'd like to keep the updates in this same thread, but no idea how to change the title, help?

westham.png

League: English Premier League

Current Position: 15th Place

Squad: Obviously there's great potential here, with some solid first team players (Cole, Tomkins, Collison etc.) and with the incredible youth facilities we have there's long term growth here too.

Finances: Excellent, the club runs a profit every month and I have a 14 million pound tranfser budget.

Predicted Finish: I'm only seven points off the Europa League places, so if we get ourselves together that is a possibility. I'd certainly be happy with anywhere around tenth though.

westham.png

Season 2013-2014

League: English Premier League

Final Position: 13th Place (Fixtures)

Squad: I didn't make any changes aside from the addition of Felipe Guttierez, but his ability and versatility make him a worthwhile addition to the squad. Alex Smithies will join in July as a decent back-up/successor to Robert Green.

Finances: Okay, but I'm planning on offloading the dead weight to put me into a better position.

Predicted Finish: Was tenth, which I was only four points off from, so I can't be too disappointed

Archived