Official Ruling - Euro Qualifying

Is there anywhere i can find regarding the qualifying process for the European Competitions.

I've just finished 6th which i thought would have got me a Europa League slot. However, Spurs in 7th have a slot at my expense.

I checked the cups and the winning teams were in the Champions League slots. However, I've noticed that Spurs have won the Europa League this current season so enter as defending champions.

Isn't this slot an extra place or does it count as one of the allocated slots that specific league gets.

I am old enough to remember the Everton / Liverpool situation from a few years ago but wasn't sure if this process had changed

Its messed up even further

Initial table at end of season

LeagueTable-3.jpg

Then I noticed the Champions League final had not been played. Chelsea vs Man Utd

So now the league table looks like

LeagueTable2.jpg

And Carlo Antcelotti is now out of a job

I guess the answer here is to wait until the actual end of the season before questioning the european qualification slots!

This needs to be improved, Id like them to permanently have the letters at the side of the table so you know what you should be aiming for and it should change depending on the cup results too.

You should not go into the last few games no knowing what you have to do.

Whats the point in having the letters there all the time. What if your in a European place and a team below you wins one of the European cups and you lose you place? All that happens then is 'your' letters get moved to the other team. The outcome is still the same.

Also why do you need to have a visual aid to 'know what you should be aiming for'? Surely you will be aiming as high as possible all the time?

You should not go into the last few games no knowing what you have to do. - Again what does this matter. This doesn't change from the first game to the last. You know from the start you need to finish in the top 6 and you know in the last few games you need to finish in the top 6. If you finish in the top 6 but dont get in Europe, you have just been unlucky, but no amount of visual aids or moving letters will change this.

It always says top 6 depending on the winners of cups, thats not clear if its the top 6 plus the cup winners or the top 6 if the winners are in the top 6.

If one point is enough to get you into Europe but you dont know it, youre going to be pretty annoyed to be pushing for a winner in the last 10 mins and then concede meaning you miss out.

Euro places do change, especially after the LC is won.

It always says top 6 depending on the winners of cups, thats not clear if its the top 6 plus the cup winners or the top 6 if the winners are in the top 6.

If one point is enough to get you into Europe but you dont know it, youre going to be pretty annoyed to be pushing for a winner in the last 10 mins and then concede meaning you miss out.

Euro places do change, especially after the LC is won.

Ah right so you mean the last game of the season then. At which point you already know who won the league cup, so that place has gone. If it was won by a team already in the top 3/4, you know there will be an extra league place. Also seeing as its the last game of the season, you already know the FA Cup finalists (or winner/runner-up depending when its played), so you know exactly what you need to do by looking where those two teams are in the league. There is only 2 possible outcomes. And even if you include the Champions League and Europa League finals, again you will already know the finalists by that point so you can already work out the possible situations.

Weather or not letters change is irrelevant. It still requires you to work out the possibilities. Or do you want a big paragraph of possibilities at the bottom of the league table? :rolleyes:

No it doesnt require you to work out the possibilities, with several games to go, you never know if 6th or 7th place will get you into Europe because its worded so badly, 6 places depending on the LC final, is that 6 places plus the LC winners meaning you could finish 7th and get it or is it 6 places if the LC winners are in the top 6?

Its inexcusable not knowing what you need to do in the last few games.

All they need to do is have the guaranteed spots in black and spots depending on futher results in grey, even you could understand that.

No it doesnt require you to work out the possibilities, with several games to go, you never know if 6th or 7th place will get you into Europe because its worded so badly, 6 places depending on the LC final, is that 6 places plus the LC winners meaning you could finish 7th and get it or is it 6 places if the LC winners are in the top 6?

Its inexcusable not knowing what you need to do in the last few games.

All they need to do is have the guaranteed spots in black and spots depending on futher results in grey, even you could understand that.

Th LC Final is end of Feb early March so I dont understand your argument with the LC? If your in 6/7 place at that time, you can see who wins the cup. If its a team guaranteed to already be in Europe through the league, you already know there will be an extra place added to the league. If its somebody not guaranteed to finish in a European place, you know its them that has qualified. Its not rocket science is it!

And even if you do finish 6th or 7th, does it really matter if there are dots there or not? If results from either of the Euro finals dont go your way your out regardless. Its not in your control. Even the dumbest person can look at either of the euro finals and understand the consequences of each result.

Are you one of these that complain when you finish 3rd in your champions league group even though your level on points with 2nd and also have a better GD because you dont 'understand' the rules? Do you also want some kind of message explaining to you what happens if results do or dont go your way in that situation?

The top four teams in the Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League, with the top three teams directly entering the group stage. The fourth-placed team enters the Champions League at the play-off round for non-champions and must win a two-legged knockout tie in order to enter the group stage. The team placed fifth in the Premier League automatically qualifies for the UEFA Europa League, and the sixth and seventh-placed teams can also qualify, depending on the winners and runners-up of the two domestic cup competitions. If one of the cup winners qualifies for Europe through their league position, the sixth-placed team in the Premier League will qualify for the Europa League unless a runner-up qualifies instead. If both of the cup winners qualify for the Champions League through their league position, the sixth and seventh-placed teams in the Premier League will qualify for the Europa League if neither runner-up takes a spot. If either domestic cup competition is contested between teams outside the top four league positions, the winner will automatically qualify for the UEFA Europa League regardless of their final league position, and the runner-up will not qualify. A further place in the UEFA Europa League is also available via the Fair Play initiative. If the Premier League has one of the three highest Fair Play rankings in Europe, the highest ranked team in the Premier League Fair Play standings which has not already qualified for Europe will automatically qualify for the UEFA Europa League first qualifying round.

1. CL

2. CL

3. CL

4. CL (qual stage)

5. EL

6. nothing*

7. nothing*

* Depends on winner/runner-up of both domestic cups.

Now finishing 6th or 7th is irrelevant because of the cups. You already know by Feb/Mar who has qualified via the LC or if a place has gone to the league. If a top 5 team wins the LC, an extra place is awarded to the league thus allowing the team in 6th place to qualify. If both FA Cup finalists are top 5 teams, another place is awarded to the league allowing the 7th placed team to qualify.

The only way 6/7 cant qualify is if either:

a) one or both of the cup winners is already placed 8th or below in the league

b) the FA Cup RU is below 8th in the league

It changes too depending on coefficients, why do people not want to see a feature introduced that would help people and has no negative effect on them?

The CL group qual never changes, the euro qual does depending on results and coefficients.

Isnt it easier to have what I wanted than to go to the cup results and then work out what you need to do?

It changes too depending on coefficients, why do people not want to see a feature introduced that would help people and has no negative effect on them?

The CL group qual never changes, the euro qual does depending on results and coefficients.

Isnt it easier to have what I wanted than to go to the cup results and then work out what you need to do?

So what? The rules still dont change. You get a message at the start of the season saying how many places are allocated. If you drop to 3 CL places then the first 2 qualify automatically, 3rd place has to qualify and 4th goes straight into the EL with 5th and 6th maybe up for grabs also.

And if you do have the dots in place like you say, it still requires you to work out what needs to be done because the dots wouldnt change again till after the results have gone through. So before you even play your game you need to know what needs to be done. And even then it could still change. It would be another pointless feature.

Surely you just try and win as many of your games, then look at the table at the end to see if you've done enough?

I understand it can be frustrating not 'knowing' what you need to do. But as stated above, you can get a rough idea.

Exactly. Surely your going to try and get as high as possible regardless. If you finish 6th/7th, its not even in your control anyway. If you do qualify its a bonus. If your that bothered either win a cup or finish 5th or higher.

Surely you just try and win as many of your games, then look at the table at the end to see if you've done enough?

I understand it can be frustrating not 'knowing' what you need to do. But as stated above, you can get a rough idea.

Thats what i would have thought, worry about winning every game, then worry about where you end up European wise after all the games have been played.

What different would you do on the last day of the season? Aim for a draw?

Thats what i would have thought, worry about winning every game, then worry about where you end up European wise after all the games have been played.

What different would you do on the last day of the season? Aim for a draw?

ok, you need 4 points to Q and youre 1-1 at old trafford, are you really going to go 3 or 4 up front to go for a win and then probably lose or stick with what you have knowing a draw and then a home win is good enough?

Instead of showing constantly in the league table who's about to be qualified for Europe, wouldn't it be better to have statistical tools that would allow you or your assistant to tell you how many points you need to reach the Board's goals of the season? And media interaction regarding your chances?

That could come in handy too, I know you get messages for promotion and relegation deciders, you could get them for achieving your goals too.

Be prepared to be shot down by the I dont like it so no one should have it crew.

Its nothing to do with shooting it down because I dont like it. Its utterly pointless. All the info you need is there to work out where you need to finish in the league to qualify for europe. If your too thick to work it out thats your problem.

Archived