Is there any talk of SI introducing legacy statistics into the game - those being the statistics and probably a visible player profile for players long-since retired? I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying 20+ year games when many of our favourite players have retired and we've no record of their careers besides an entry in the club's record books. I sometimes miss players' retirements having not kept track of their careers and I'd enjoy being able to go back and see how their career panned out, where they ended up spending their playing days and whether or not they achieved greatness.

I suspect it's implementation would be best as a regular player profile (probably sans photo, season stats, transfer status et al., including solely his club history and seasonal performances). I understand the memory implications such a move would have so would it not be feasible to have this as an in-game option (Remember All, Remember [Nation] or Remember [Club]). Possibly even an option which kept the records solely of players who had enjoyed a tenure under your stewardship.

I remember muted talk of such a feature several years ago and I can't help but feel it'd be one of those relatively minor additions which goes a long way to further immersing the manager in the virtual world.

This is something I would be interested in. I quite often look at players' history.

The problem would be the amount of memory required. After 10 years, you could potentially have the same amount of ex-player history as current. Add another 10 years on...

This is something I would be interested in. I quite often look at players' history.

The problem would be the amount of memory required. After 10 years, you could potentially have the same amount of ex-player history as current. Add another 10 years on...

Exactly. That's how it is - old players retire and disappear, new players come in - the amount of players has to be at certain, stable level. If SI added ex-players history, it would be too much and long term games wouldn't be as smooth as they should be.

Hence the availability of a toggle to adapt how much historical data would be stored. And player attributes, pictures and non-pertinent information can all be discarded to save up on disk space. Also it could use the parameters of using only a particular nation and only for five years after retirement. Essentially it's that first season after retirement where you're most likely to come across mention of a player and want to click through their history.

• 4 months later...

This feature has been implemented into FM12 - and it's something I'd wanted for ages - but I just wondered, is there any chance of next year's version implementing it further to include i) full stats (i.e. including Cups) and ii) average ratings, at least, even if other stats are too memory-heavy? Frankly, seeing just appearances and goals doesn't give you much.

Even more importantly, although again I realise it would be hard on memory, so maybe you'd only do it if you've actively "selected" the player to keep his history, but I'd find it particularly useful to see his attributes - perhaps the "peak" figure for each attribute? This would help when scouting - you could create filters based on club legends.....

Would it not be possible to have this feature activated via some kind of data-dump outside of the game world? So at every end of season update it takes a snapshot of the histories and converts it in a file to be perused via an out-of-game viewer or something? Something like how the data editor stores data (and lets you search and view histories). That way you don't need to worry about the memory drain on the gameworld.

Would that work?

Archived