Work Permits to play in South Africa

Had a quick search but can't find anything.

Anyway my question is, do all African nationalities need a work permit to be able to play in South Africa. Currently in a long term career save and am into my second season as Kaizer Chiefs manager but have yet to sign a foreign player. I have one at the club so it can be done but I've scouted every area of Africa and found a few gems, bid for them, been accepted, contract accepted but every deal has fallen at the Work Permit hurdle.

Can anyone shed any light on the situaition? or reel off a list of nationalities that don't need WP to be able to play in SA.

Thanks

I'm not sure about the wp rules for South Africa since I've never played there. I would suggest that you try and get a parent\feeder club in an eu country like Spain,Belgium or Poland that way you can always send a non-eu player that you sign to these countries and then try to get a permit that way.

Gaining EU nationality isn't going to help a South African club, is it? I would have thought that they would still require a work permit to play for Kaiser Chiefs.

Besides, I'd be surprised if a South African team could get a feeder club in the EU.

I'm not sure about the wp rules for South Africa since I've never played there. I would suggest that you try and get a parent\feeder club in an eu country like Spain,Belgium or Poland that way you can always send a non-eu player that you sign to these countries and then try to get a permit that way.
Gaining EU nationality isn't going to help a South African club, is it? I would have thought that they would still require a work permit to play for Kaiser Chiefs.

Besides, I'd be surprised if a South African team could get a feeder club in the EU.

I have asked the board for a feeder club to help with work permits but have came back with nothing each time. I know most players must have played for the national side to gain a work permit, frustrating as the rough diamonds I am unearthing are 16/17 not in the national setup, when they do, European clubs become instantly interested and I will lose out. Will just have to sign the best SA I can find instead.

Listed in the PSL rules:

36.14 Clubs may not lodge a contract which causes the club to exceed five

foreign players, and a work permit will have to be lodged with a

foreign player’s contract.

also

41.1.2 no player under the age of eighteen (18) who is not a South

African national will be registered as a professional player for the

first time with a club falling under the jurisdiction of SAFA unless

he and his parent or legal guardian are lawfully resident in South

Africa.

As found here: http://images.supersport.co.za/NSL%20Rules%20as%20amended%208%20November%202008final.pdf

• 1 year later...

Threadomancy!

Interestingly, I tried to sign a whole batch of african youngsters to my Pirates side, and four have been granted WPs whereas five more were denied. It can't be to do with empty slots as I already have five registered foreigners. The approved (and rejected) players have a variety of ages, nationalities and proposed squad status, I can't see any trends.

Any offers on what criteria a player must meet in order to gain a South African work permit?

Cheers

S

Archived