Idea for future FM's: Manager Reputation/Experience

Got an idea that I think would improve the gameplay experience for the better in future games. The way the manager reputation system works at the moment leaves something to be desired. I've had the idea swirling round in my head for a few days, so I thought I'd see what other people thought. I think that the current system should be enhanced on, keeping the manager reputation name it currently has. This can be customised at the beginning of the game, and affects the "visibility" of the manager in the game so to speak, or put another way, how well known he or she is. However, I think that should be another variable added into this, called "Manager Experience". This would take into account the length of the player's managerial career so far, the level they've managed at, how successful they've been etc. This would then influence the jobs that the player would be able to get in the game, in conjunction with the manager's reputation. This could also be customisable to an extent at the beginning of the game, perhaps to the extent that the current system is.

For example, lets take my current game as an example. I started with Bolton Wanderers with a past experience of International Footballer. Now after half of a season, which has been moderately successful as I occupy the top 5 in the EPL, I am being linked with most of the managerial vacancies in the game and also being touted as a possible successor to Pep Guardiola should he leave Barcelona at the end of the season. Now of course, this is utterly ridiculous as there is no way in real life that a manager with half a season's experience as a manager would be touted for one of the biggest club jobs in the world, save some exceptional circumstances. Under my proposed changes, this wouldn't happen if I had chosen a past experience of none, but still a manager reputation of international footballer.

So guys, what do you think?

How much managerial experience did Guardiola have before he got the Barcelona job?

Very little...think he had one season as youth coach then on as Barca Ath...

But then again, i think 90% of professional managers could have inherited that squad and accomplish what he has.

I like it as well. Visibility AND experience, good basic idea there. One thing that this might help is with speculation linking you to more appropriate jobs. I notice that when I manage in the lower reaches, I rarely, if ever, once getting a bit of success, get linked with clubs in the same division but higher profile, or clubs a division above. This sort of a system might be able to produce some more realism.

The problem with this is taking Guardiola as an example would mean that he wouldnt be considered for a job at a top team for a few years. System works fine how it is in my opinion and SI should concentrate on improving other things.

Well take Guardiola as an example with this sort of system- the two planks would work to provide an overall "hireability" or whatever you like. If an individual has an extremely high "visibility" such as a Guardiola with a pile of caps for a leading international squad, that would compensate for the lack of experience in some cases and result in job offers coming along. It could work well.

Knew someone would bring up Guardiola. Thing is, he'd spend the majority of his career at the club, and then had a season as the reserve team manager. He is an exceptional case due to him being well respected within the club, and also being known by the other staff in the club etc. In the majority of cases what happens to Guardiola doesn't happen, although he had had some coaching experience prior to taking the job. What I find unrealistic about the current situation in the game, is that I can have half a successful season with a medium sized top division club, and suddenly I'm being touted for almost every job that becomes available/is soon to be available in the game world. My proposal would go some way to rectifying that.

I think it would be difficult to implement but what I would like to see is a reputation system that is not based on how well known you are but what you are known for..... for example Bora Milutinovic is a very famous manager for leading 4 different nations to their first world cup and is greatly respected for that, he is too old now but lets say he was young.... a nation looking forward to qualify for the world cup for the first time would probably rather seek him than lets say a manager who has won the scottish premier league with Celtic, but in the game the Celtic manager would have higher reputation and therefore would get the job.

Another example is Manuel Pellegrini, he got a job at R. Madrid cuz he was successful with River a club who used to have a similar position in Argentinian league than that of Madrid in La Liga, so Big Club from spain looks for manager who had succes in a similar club in Argentina.. however in game someone who have been managing say Wigan in the Premier league would have a better chance to get the job...

Being linked with a job and actually being offered it are different things though aren't they?

I'm managing in non league with Sunday league rep and see loads of media messages where I'm linked with other jobs but am yet to be offered anything.

The game is merely representing media speculation which lets face, is often inaccurate. This is a good thing as it represents realism. .

I'd be more concerned with the current rep system if you were actually offered the Barca job after half a season but I would imagine that wouldn't happen.

It's just media speculation the games way of letting you know that you're doing a good job.

Here's a link to some speculation for the recent vacancy at Liverpool.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/liverpool-tipped-go-foreign-new-long-term-manager-1377721

How much of this was true eh?

I like the current system although your suggestions for improvements are also good but as things stand I say good job SI.

Another example is Manuel Pellegrini, he got a job at R. Madrid cuz he was successful with River a club who used to have a similar position in Argentinian league than that of Madrid in La Liga, so Big Club from spain looks for manager who had succes in a similar club in Argentina.. however in game someone who have been managing say Wigan in the Premier league would have a better chance to get the job...

Yeah, finishing up above Barcelona in 07/08, playing CL semi final and general overachievement for 4-5 years at Villareal had nothing to do with it :p

Extremely bad example, in other words.

Thought I'd revive this as my current save in Fm10 highlights some of the problems of the reputation only problem, without taking into account experience. Currently I have managed two clubs, taking both to the football league from the lower divisions over a period of many years- one from tier 8, one from tier 6. I also won a couple FA trophies along the way. Now, having gotten promoted from BSP to league 2 this season, I look and see that my rep is continental, and am getting job offers from Ajax, HSV, PSG, Lazio etc. I just don't think that is right in that I have proven capable of managing lower league clubs, but have not done anything on a high level that would suggest to some large club that I could manage in a top division and compete in Europe. It just seems a bit off.

The other issue is that I don't get linked or offered jobs from clubs in England, where I manage, in divisions one or two higher, which I think would be MUCH more likely. It seems that I have bypassed league 1 and the Championship completely in terms of reputation, and yet what I have done, really (except have fun playing, of course)? Logically, I should think a club like West Brom, Plymouth, Brighton etc. would seem more suitable at this point in my career.

Just throwing that out there, because the OP has a point. Surely something can be adjusted or tweaked to even this out a bit.

Archived